Good Times is live

Started by md, May 12, 2007, 12:06:57 PM

md

film is offline.
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

pumba

Those photos look bitchin' - keep it up,
I'm excited to see the film. peace

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

md

www.goodtimesthemovie.com is up (but wont work with Safari).  The large version is a little better quality.  Please let me know what you think. MD
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

md

Good Times has made my Film Schools Honor Show, and it will be screening at one of the country's oldest theaters, The Cinema, Located in Downtown Rochester, NY later on Friday June 15th on the big screen between their daily double feature.  The film is also available for download as well.  Hope you enjoy. Thanks guys!

matt35mm

I've gotta say, I didn't like this one.  I've enjoyed your other movies for their goofy charm, but the more dramatic elements were not very well done here, mostly due to the screenplay.  The whole first part in the house could have been 20 seconds long, just to set up that she wants to go to the party and that the father has said no.  Dwelling on this scene is a waste of time because it is a cliched scene that we've seen before.  I kept expecting an extra shade or twist to this type of scene, but if anything, it was a more drawn out version than I had seen before.

I know that we had talked a bit about the acting before you shot this, but I don't really see the fruits of that onscreen.  It felt quite choppy, making it clear that they performed in small bits as opposed to any consistent moment-to-moment realm.  All the leads were also boring, both in terms of their characters and in terms of performance.  There didn't seem to be a grasp of character beyond the stereotypical teen, which only made every character stereotypical.

Even if this is a step forward in the imagery, it felt like a step back in everything else, particularly in the writing.  The imagery was fine, though I felt that there was a bit too much use of the camera jib.

I think there can be a LOT improved with a re-edit.  As I've said, I think the first part in the house can be cut down to very short, and everything else can be tighter.  And if you know someone who can redo the audio mix, I think that can be improved as well, so that the audio quality matches the video quality.

I know this has been a pretty harsh critique, but I didn't feel that I could be helpful otherwise.  Maybe this is still not very helpful, but I had a blunt reaction and so I gave a blunt review, but I tried to detail my thoughts.  I appreciated the elements that you obviously did take seriously, but, to me, it had the effect of highlighting what was missing.  What is truly important to you?  What drives your desire to make movies?

I was also extra harsh because one of the main things that I don't stand for is boring movies.  This was boring to me, but that depends on the person watching it, I suppose.  However, I suggest re-editing and getting it much tighter.  Maybe after not watching it a while.  Until then, focus on the next movie and good luck.

md

Its not a harsh critique at all, your entitled to your opinion, and I'm happy that you took the time to watch it.  I am still studying up on dramatics, and I'm just glad that I pulled the film off.   Mike

©brad

glad you should be.

i disagree w/ matt. i actually thought the opening scene w/ dad was the strongest of the entire piece. and yeah we've seen scenes like this before but who cares. in terms of acting and the writing, it was the best.

there's definitely a lot of dazed and confused moments in the party scene, with the music and slo-mo bits. i really wanted the studly guy she likes to beat the shit out of that skinny knob who poured the beer on her head.

my biggest thing is this feels more like a first act than a short film. you could go in a lot of different and potentially interesting directions after that party. my suggestion - go write act II.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Quote from: ©brad on May 28, 2007, 08:49:38 AM
glad you should be.

Start talking like Yoda when did you?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks