THE MARS VOLTA---> AMAZING

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, December 03, 2003, 10:05:26 PM

socketlevel

i wouldn't go on just one song, their big release was televators off the last album and that wasn't a good representation of the album.  they have to release the most obvious pop-garnering song for record sales.  it only makes sense.  Not that these types of songs are bad; just less replay value.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

socketlevel

you guys are retarded (to whom it may apply)

i'll paraphrase tobby norton tucker (tnt): this album blows my mind into a million pieces, then takes that million and blows it into a million more!

i can't believe how good this album is.  genre bending madness.

-sl-

Stefen

The first track and the last track are particularly very exciting and great all the way through. I haven't listened to the middle tracks too much (only 5 tracks on the album) cause it sounds like a bunch of noise but i'll get to it soon, but even if those middle tracks are terrible the 1st and 5th track (which take up most of the album) make it one of the best albums in awhile on their own.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

socketlevel

man the third track is sick, check it out

-sl-

RegularKarate

The third track is the radio song.

I like the album so far, but I also hear the complaints and understand them.  I also accept that the first album is really hard to beat, the way it flowed together so well.  This one doesn't really take you on quite the ride that the first one did.

socketlevel

oh maybe i've got the shit all wrong with the order, the torrent i got has the widow as the second track, i was talking about the latin heavy one.

yeah it's spastic, but i dig that about it.  one of their biggest influences is bungle (not that i like bungle, because i don't but that's a different conversation) and i guess that goes with the territory.  if it was too cleanly laid out then i don't think it would work.  at least it would feel like there are boundries and that's one of the best parts of volta, a limitless feeling.

-sl-

Stefen

socket and regular, have you two gotten a mastered copy yet? Or do you both have the awful quality version that I have? De-Loused seemed overproduced at times, it seemed almost too perfect, I like the ruggedness of the new album.

Oh yeah, The Widow is track 2 on my download also.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

Maybe I'm the one that has it backward... Widow may just be track two.

And, yes, the copy I have is total shit quality.  

Bungle is more motivated than this... it doesn't work well with FTM... with Bungle, it's part of the song.  With FTM, it's a good song that just wanders off for almost no reason.

I still really like it though.

socketlevel

everyone i keep talking to says that it sounds like shit.  maybe i do have master version or something, i don't really know.  i've got a sub woofer set up on my g5 so that may make it sound a little more full.  is that the prob with the version you guys have.  i guess i'm used to the tinny, high end, sound that volta seems to gravitate toward.  i think it sounds great.  shit if it sounds even better than this i think i'll see god.

Quote from: RegularKarateMaybe I'm the one that has it backward... Widow may just be track two.

And, yes, the copy I have is total shit quality.  

Bungle is more motivated than this... it doesn't work well with FTM... with Bungle, it's part of the song.  With FTM, it's a good song that just wanders off for almost no reason.

I still really like it though.

mind you, as i say everything i'm about to say, keep in mind that i could kind of get into california.  for the very reasons that bugnle were able to take a step back and go against my criticism.

bungle may be very motivated, sorry that's not how it comes across to me, but my ears are virgin to that shit for the most part (i haven't listened to bungle over and over like some of my friends).  my prob with them is that it's a dick measuring contest.  yeah i know you're mathematically insane (and i am attracted to that) but on another level, sell me the fucking song.  seems to be no emotion in the music, this is a similar reason why i don't like zappa either.  sure sure you're talented, but don't cum to soon with that shit, there is a lot to be said for being reserved.  i'm really attracted to the stuff that takes the conceptual/math/arty/snobby stuff yet still makes it palitable on some level.  (ie. TOOL, Mars, Pulp Fiction, 5 obstructions etc.)

when it gets too refferential and intellectually wanking i tune out because it's more about the artist then the experience.  that's all bungle comes across as, a bunch of guys really into their talent.

-sl-

Sleuth

I can't even listen to any pre-California Mr. Bungle
:elitist: not for me

And that's how I feel about MV except, as I said earlier, I don't think they really DO know what they're doing except being crazy, but I guess it's that energy that you're connecting with.  I just can't get over the wankery.  

--'-._.-~* I heard that there were a few versions of FTM out there, with varying qualities. *~-._.-'--
I like to hug dogs

socketlevel

Quote from: SleuthI can't even listen to any pre-California Mr. Bungle
:elitist: not for me

And that's how I feel about MV except, as I said earlier, I don't think they really DO know what they're doing except being crazy, but I guess it's that energy that you're connecting with.  I just can't get over the wankery.  

--'-._.-~* I heard that there were a few versions of FTM out there, with varying qualities. *~-._.-'--

yeah i can see what you're saying.  maybe it is an energy thing.  volta seems to be spastic, and i like that, but they go back to previous spastic segments.  so on some level it does have a, even if convoluted, verse chorus verse structure...  lol, i realize my articulation is horrible as i try to describe this, but i think you get me (or at least hope).  i'm not trying to controdict my earlier post, but it's coming off that way.  

bungle just randomly goes everywhere and they're not necessarily connecting the dots or rehashing so there is no porgression or sense of journey within the experience.  maybe the prog in the volta music is filling in the void that i feel from bungle.

too bad you lump volta into that catagory, however i respect that stance big time.

-sl-

EDIT - the last track on the album is so epic, i'm loving it.  i feel physically/emotionally/mentally exhausted at the end of it.  it's like listening to a godspeed you black emporer! track, it demands so much from the listener.

oh yeah, i was in a bar the other night and i heard that yes song that's on buffalo 66.  the one at the ending, do any of you guys know what album that's from and where i might be able to find it bit torrent styles?

Stefen

finally got a mastered copy of this album. i kind of wish I had heard it first this way cause it sounds so fucking good. the bass and the drums are massive as oppose to real light on the other copy. it sounds fucking fantastic, my favorite of the year so far.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

Myxo

Might have to go pick up Frances the Mute today.

Gamblour.

I'm picking up De-Loused for reals along with Frances. While I was stoned I realized that De-Loused just has a head on the cover, but Frances has a body minus a head, like whoa man.
WWPTAD?