Reinhold's Photos

Started by Reinhold, June 29, 2006, 11:25:58 AM

Reinhold

this is my first week or so with the camera. all photos were taken with manual settings and were only photoshopped for size/cropping unless otherwise noted.

viewed on an apple cinema display with default color settings.

if anybody wants full-res or at least bigger than these, PM me and i'll be glad to share. original resolution on all of these is 3456x2304.

please leave feedback!

^(i brought up the contrast by 14 and shifted the color balance to be a touch more yellow and green in photoshop)

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Pubrick

squiggly lines are not interesting. shadows and out of focus pictures of nothing are definitely not interesting.
it's good to get that out of your system now.
lots of one thing is not necessarily interesting. textures are interesting.

i'm not proffessionally trained by any means, but what about this:
instead of flowers in bloom, why not a gardener pruning/planting
instead of drunk pictures of a shadow and headless person, why not an actual amputee in shadows
instead of a nobody in a car doing nothing while the photographer falls asleep, why not an adorable kitten.

i know, no one's trying to win an art prize here (or maybe they are) but at the very least one should try to not be bored by their own efforts. i suppose this happens cos, when you begin anything, even making nothing is fun. i'm no good at tennis but i like to hit the ball, that kinda thing. eventually you want to impress yourself.
under the paving stones.

polkablues

The fork is good, because we're looking at something very usual, but seeing it in an unusual way.  Plus, it's just more visually striking than any of the others.  If you can figure out what's so effective about that shot and assimilate that into everything you take, you'll be fine.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reinhold

leave it to me to only get the one with olive oil in it right.

in the words of one of my favorite people referring to me, "wherever [ I ] go, dago."

thank you both for straighforward and useful feedback.
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Ravi

Quote from: Pubrick on June 29, 2006, 12:07:29 PM
i'm not proffessionally trained by any means, but what about this:
instead of flowers in bloom, why not a gardener pruning/planting
instead of drunk pictures of a shadow and headless person, why not an actual amputee in shadows
instead of a nobody in a car doing nothing while the photographer falls asleep, why not an adorable kitten.

One of the first things my teacher said to us in the photography class I took was, "Don't take pictures of flowers."  There's not many ways to make them interesting.

Do you eat soy sauce and oil for dinner?  With a fork?

Reinhold

it was a bowl of chopped tomatoes with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

pete

the best part about the picture with the shadow is the girl's hand.  the hand was in a good moment when you snapped the photo.  everything else in the picture was bland.  if you can take more like the hand, then you'll be fine.
take more time to compose the shots.  learn to kneel and bend, unless you've got fake legs and have to stand at all times.  if so then take off the legs.  you're photographing all of your subjects from the same height at the same angle.  don't tilt, bend.  you're not photographing people, so, get way closer to your subjects.  or way further.  it's okay, they won't get uncomfortable.  but right now your height and distance from your subject is very pedestrian, resulting in kistch.  is it pretentious for me to use subject, pedestrian and kistch in the same sentence?  oops, I just added pretentious to the batch.  now I just added batch.
either way, learn to look, and go crazy.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

i like robert mapplethorpe.
context, context, context.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Reinhold

i ended up being stuck at work with my dad because of shitty weather afterall. i guess i can lurk/post afterall.

i kept the advice in this thread in mind while i was walking around with my camera in chicago the other day. thanks everybody.

i'm viewing these photos for the first time on a computer monitor other than my own. they don't look anything at all like they do on mine. i knew color settings made a difference, obviously, but i didn't realize that the difference would be this significant. in addition to the faults mentioned above, they all really look especially terrible this dark. my apologies to people viewing them on dark-ish CRT monitors.

Reinhold

The Perineum Falcon

Cute kid.
There's not much I can really say here.
They're kind of plain, but I could see shades of charm in your 2nd, and perhaps the last.
The light in all is kind of "blah," and in the last is too direct and harsh, for my taste. The compositions don't hold my interest for very long, either.
Documentary Photography was difficult for me to grasp as well, so I understand the challenge here.

Um, I've run out of things to say. :oops:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Reinhold

thanks. all criticism is welcome.