Logan

Started by Jeremy Blackman, March 01, 2017, 12:42:31 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Opens Friday March 3

Synopsis: "In the near future, a weary Logan cares for an ailing Professor X in a hideout on the Mexican border. But Logan's attempts to hide from the world and his legacy are up-ended when a young mutant arrives, being pursued by dark forces."

RT Critics Consensus: "Hugh Jackman makes the most of his final outing as Wolverine with a gritty, nuanced performance in a violent but surprisingly thoughtful superhero action film that defies genre conventions."

I can get behind this...

Drenk

Ascension.

max from fearless

When I saw his walk, when he emerges from the limo at the start, I knew it was gonna be a crazy ride. Reminded me of "Children of Men." Except this pulls no punches. And the sequence when Prof X has an attack and Wolverine has to get to the hotel room, absolutely bonkers! It was a high stakes, dirty, nasty Western through and through. Thought Prof X stole the show performance wise, with the girl and Hugh a close second...

Jeremy Blackman

Yup, this was exactly what I wanted. I had no attachment to these characters. I don't think I've actually seen an X-Men. But this film punched me in the gut.

Sure, there's too much explaining and foreshadowing, and there are a few too many conventions holding the movie back. But that was easily overpowered by the action and performances, both of which approach Fury Road levels. The performances... my God. Gritty authentic intensity. And the girl. Jesus. She's the MVP.

SPOILERS

Quote from: max from fearless on March 02, 2017, 02:44:40 PMAnd the sequence when Prof X has an attack and Wolverine has to get to the hotel room, absolutely bonkers!

Yes. That was incredible... literally jaw-dropping for me. Speaking of Nolan, that sort of attempts to one-up the hallway scene in Inception. Amazing stuff.

Can't overstate how essential the blood and gore was. The actions scenes worked so well because they felt so painful and debased. Logan and Laura don't enjoy killing. It's feral, brutal, and always comes with a cost.

Sleepless

This was much better that I anticipated. Hands down the best X-Men film. I really enjoyed the first two back in the day. (Though even then the first paled in comparison to the sequel.) Since then, they've been pretty dull. I haven't seen some of the more recent ones or any of the Wolverine spinoffs. But I'm aware of the characters. Familiar with HJ and PS as their characters. There was a certain delight in seeing PS in particular saying shit and fuck all over the place. We're so used to seeing these comic book characters in highly-sanitized PG world where no-one says bad words or bleeds when they get three claws through the head. To flip that on it's head in such a violent riot fest was incredibly cathartic. And the gags that upended conventions - the actual X-Men comic books, the high-speed car that can't crash through a fence, the gas station shop lifting, young Logan... It was a delight. A lot of fun. The one weak spot? Stephen Merchant. I'm assuming he was part of the X-universe before (maybe the last Wolverine standalone?) because otherwise they could have cast much better.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.