going to the movies alone

Started by snaporaz, March 04, 2003, 12:31:54 AM

snaporaz

i'm pretty sure most of you guys go/have gone alone alot of the time. so, my question is...what has your history of going to the movies alone been like? when did you start? how often do you go alone?

the first time i went to a movie by myself was when i saw hot shots back in like 1991. i was nine. i think having my mother just drop me off at a cinema on the other side of town is illegal. maybe.

anyways, i always went alone. 90% of the time, i was alone. i've had a couple girlfriends since and even then, i went alone sometimes. the last one i saw was narc. just went alone for the late-night screening a few nights ago.

i wouldn't have made this thread if it wasn't for the fact that alot of people have never been to a movie by themselves. i always chuckle when someone tells me that, especially when it's a guy. for some reason it's like a guy being afraid of mice. i don't know why i think of that analogy. i just do.

Ghostboy

From the time I was independently mobile (about eleven), I've primarily seen movies alone. It's fun to go with people and talk afterwards, but I don't really care that much. I'm usually there for the movie, not for the company. Plus, I see so many movies, my friends don't even bother trying to keep up. I feel like such a dork sometimes, but at least I can keep them up to date on what's good or not.

Rudie Obias

sometimes i go to the movies by myself.  i went by myself the last time i saw PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE.  but usually out of most i have friends to go and see movies with.  most of my friends are into movies.
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Duck Sauce

I havent gone to any movies alone, but Im not against it. Im thinking about doing it because it seems like less of a hassle and more convenient.

Cecil

i usually see movies alone. i dont think theres any "shame" in it. anyone who wouldnt want to go to a movie alone on the basis that he would look like a "loser" is an idiot

snaporaz

Quote from: cecil b. dementedanyone who wouldnt want to go to a movie alone on the basis that he would look like a "loser" is an idiot

haha. no shit. i've actually spoken with people [on another message board] that admitted that. i seriously think they're from another planet if they think that.

Cecil

Quote from: snaporazi seriously think they're from some strange planet if they think that.

no, theyre just "regular" people. yuk.  8)

moonshiner

a lot of people won't eat in a cafeteria, food court, etc. alone (found that out in college)...shallow people...i've never been to a movie alone, but not because i feel i'm too good for it, a lot of the time in high school it was because i needed a ride...my grandmother is a bit of a film buff, and she sees movies alone frequently, that does make me feel a little sad, because she is a very sociable person....an aside of sorts, if you're watching a comedy alone, do you laugh out loud?
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

Ghostboy

Absolutely. That's a sign that it's really truly funny. To you, at least.

moonshiner

yeah, that is probably the true test...i think sometimes in theaters or with any group watching a movie, some people are feeling out when they should laugh...although i saw PDL with three other people and we were the only ones in the theater, there were some awkward funny moments...a lot of feel it out type laughs
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

oakmanc234

I remember seeing 'Magnolia' by myself. My friends all knew 'Boogie Nights' but didn't know who the f*** PTA was.

Most of them still don't.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

snaporaz

Quote from: oakmanc234I remember seeing 'Magnolia' by myself. My friends all knew 'Boogie Nights' but didn't know who the f*** PTA was.

Most of them still don't.

i think the only reason my friends know who p.t. anderson is is because of me. but it's kind of cool since i got alot of them into truly appreciating boogie nights. they're still douchebags, though.

oakmanc234

Alot of my friends aren't really into directors, just the films.

The only reason most of them want to see 'PDL' is because of a certain comedian who stars.

Douchebags.

On another note, I was talking to this chick at my animation course about 'Magnolia' the other day. She knew all about PTA, was a big fan and was really, really hot (the perfect chick right?). I could've dumped my girlfriend and married her on the spot right then!
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

snaporaz

Quote from: oakmanc234The only reason most of them want to see 'PDL' is because of a certain comedian who stars.

jesus. you can only imagine the...what? pain? shame of being part of the human race?...i feel when i hear someone say they thought punch-drunk love sucked because it wasn't a "regular adam sandler movie".

omg im gonna kill a thousand people right now stop me

Pubrick

overreactors.

my peops don't care about PTA and mostly havn't seen his movies, i don't care that they don't care. some of them are smarter than me. we hav fun. i'm normal.
under the paving stones.