My interview in Billboard

Started by Kal, April 23, 2004, 12:08:42 AM

Kal

Hey guys. I just wanted to share this with you. An interview came out in this weeks Billboard about my Music Company. They put an awful picture of me in the cover so if anybody has the latest Billboard you can see me  :oops:

New Download Site Targets Latin Market

By LEILA COBO
A new all-Spanish download site is betting that Hispanics represent a burgeoning market for buying music online.

Emepe3.com, which launched last week, is billed as "the world's first all-Spanish-language digital music store." The site has a catalog of approximately 250,000 indie tracks, 100,000 of which are currently available for purchase at the equivalent of 99 cents each.

Perhaps most important, Emepe3 is available to consumers around the world.

"We are oriented to the Hispanic market worldwide, and we have no restrictions by country," founder and CEO Andy Kleinman says.

Currently, consumers in Latin America cannot legally download from any of the other sites available in the United States, including Apple's iTunes.

Emepe3, which developed its own technology and software, allows non-U.S. customers to access tracks and pay for them in local currency.

However, Kleinman stresses, his initial focus will be the U.S. Latin market, which is already accustomed to the legal downloading process but will benefit from a Spanish-language service.

Emepe3 does not have repertoire from any of the major labels. Kleinman says he has initiated conversations with the majors, but the issues of licensing and pricing from country to country have complicated the talks.

"When we first spoke with them, the Apple store wasn't up, and they really had no idea," Kleinman says. "Now, I think they'll see us up and running, and we're a Spanish site, so they'll feel left out [if their product is not included]."

Kleinman, 23, founded Emepe3 as a music news site in 1999. His revamped company, which is financed by a German investment group, has offices in Miami and Buenos Aires.

Because Latin music piracy has reached crisis proportions in the United States and Latin America, Kleinman hopes to partner with the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry and the Latin Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences to create anti-piracy campaigns.

Although Latin music is increasingly being offered at download stores, its presence and promotion on such sites have been minor.

However, a study released last month found that Hispanics use the Internet more frequently than the general online population to listen to music and download files, among other activities.

The second annual America Online/RoperASW U.S. Hispanic Cyberstudy interviewed 615 Hispanic Internet users and 300 general-population users.

According to the study, 54% of online Hispanics regularly or occasionally listen to music via the Internet, compared with 30% of the general online population. And 39% of online Hispanics said they regularly or occasionally download music files, compared with 27% of the general population.

Sleuth

They plugged your company so much, how embarrasing :oops:
I like to hug dogs

Kal

Quote from: SlombThey plugged your company so much, how embarrasing :oops:

why?

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: andyk (10)why?
It... just........... is....

SoNowThen

Quote from: andyk (10)His revamped company, which is financed by a German investment group...

I'm kinda looking for one of these to finance my feature. How did you get yours?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: andyk (10)His revamped company, which is financed by a German investment group...
I'm kinda looking for one of these to finance my feature. How did you get yours?

Kal

Cinephile, I'm jewish you fucking idiot so I want to ask first to an admin to delete that shit and then to Cinefuckingphile to quit replying to any posts I make because he is only looking for trouble.

Quote from: SoNowThen

I work with them in many other investment capital projects, like my feature film as well. We're always looking for new projects, but I think one film will be more than enough for them now.

I met one of these guys a few years ago while I was trying to get financing for this Internet project and then I started meeting many others, which are all connected to the same group with lots of $$.

I couldnt give you a tip on how to meet someone like this... I guess I was lucky... but the problem is not to meet them but to convince them of what you're doing... it took me 3 years :)

SoNowThen

I guess what I meant was, did you have to go to Germany and set up meetings? Or did you meet them online? Or when they say "german", do they just mean a guy you knew who also happens to be german?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

andyk, I'm a big fan of Mel Brooks and the Producers, and that's been expressed MANY MANY MANY MANY times on Xixax. I'm sorry you got offended, I had no idea. Don't take something like that too seriously, if I knew you were Jewish, why would I post that?
I don't want to say "lighten up" but I was making a joke since I didn't know you happened to be Jewish. End of story.

Pubrick

ok so let me update my list

- no cancer jokes for gt
- no fat jokes for mbk
- no estelle harris jokes for duderino
- no sweat shop jokes for pete
- no feces-related jokes for pas

and now
- no nazi jokes for andyk

everyone attach this list to ur monitor now.

also, how can cinephile be looking for trouble when he didn't know u were jewish? it's a joke that anyone could hav made and fuck, unless ur 70 years old, u need to chill out. in fact, doesn't ur first post imply that u are Hispanic/Latino? sheesh. there will be no deleting cos this is just stupid.
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Here's irony:

A Jew borrowing MONEY from a German group.

I couldn't decide what was the key operative word there.

Otherwise, good work, man.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Kal

ok the first post says clearly my last name KLEINMAN... if thats not jewish then I'm sorry P but you're a dumbass...

and I'm not hispanic... I lived a great part of my life in Argentina but I also lived in the USA where I reside now and I have American, European and Argentiean Citizenships...

Then, the swastika is an absolutely NEGATIVE image and it always means that doesnt matter the context... I dont really give a fuck about judaism as a religion per se because I dont follow the rules as I should... but I do care about what happened in history and members of my family that died during the war... so there you go

Cinephile if this was an isolated incident then I would let it go... but you always do the same thing... everytime you reply to my posts you do something to piss me off... we have already talked about this privately so if you dont like them then mind our own business and dont mess with me

SoNowThen... I met one of this Germans in Miami... the guy comes here all the time for business because they look for new opportunities and ideas here and they get the money back from Germany... they all live there...

Sleuth

you know Jewish people aren't the ONLY ones with names like that
I like to hug dogs

SoNowThen

Quote from: andyk (10)
SoNowThen... I met one of this Germans in Miami... the guy comes here all the time for business because they look for new opportunities and ideas here and they get the money back from Germany... they all live there...

:yabbse-thumbup:

Sounds cool.

So is the success of the company predicated on a huge downturn in illegal downloading, or do you figure you can turn a pretty nice profit with the market as is?

cine

Quote from: andyk (10)Then, the swastika is an absolutely NEGATIVE image and it always means that doesnt matter the context... I dont really give a fuck about judaism as a religion per se because I dont follow the rules as I should... but I do care about what happened in history and members of my family that died during the war... so there you go

Cinephile if this was an isolated incident then I would let it go... but you always do the same thing... everytime you reply to my posts you do something to piss me off... we have already talked about this privately so if you dont like them then mind our own business and dont mess with me
I made it crystal fucking clear that I didn't know you were fucking jewish. Is that clear yet? When I read "German investment group" it translates to me as some sort of euphemism. So I teased to SoNowThen that Nazis must've financed your company. That's ALL.
Oh, and you COMPLETELY ignored Walrus's post, which says something, doesn't it? Funny, how you freak out on the ones who DIDN'T know you were jewish but for the ones who DO know you're jewish and BLATANTLY take shots at you, you're really cool with that.
So I hope you're fucking finished, Andy Kleinman. Because I'm fucking finished with lowering my IQ and having to explain every goddamn thing I say to you. I didn't want to say it before but I'm saying it now: Lighten the fuck up.