Night Moves

Started by SoNowThen, February 11, 2005, 04:52:05 PM

SoNowThen

Just saw this at a rep screening a few nights ago as part of a 60's-80's Hollywood series. It's criminal just how underrated this movie is. Hackman gives a performance that stands among his best. From time to time I forget just how much of a giant he actually is. There are so many moments in this movie where he's doing so much by just being... obviously he was a very meticulous actor, but it seems like everything just flows out almost as an improv. I dunno...

And it was a truly dark and cynical and unforgiving film. Also, it had the distinction of really being a Hollywood movie (full plot intact, ample sex and blood, and some of the sharpest lines ever written), and yet at the same time having that beautiful 70's space for Hackman in particular to be a flawed human.

And so I urge all who haven't seen it to actively seek out a video copy (cos that's all that's available) and see for yourselves.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cowboykurtis

been waiting for this on dvd for quite some time now -- the vhs copy i saw was just horrible -- my favorite scene is when he throws the glass in the garbage disposal -- greath film
...your excuses are your own...

soixante

Night Moves is one of Melanie Griffith's first films, and it was an early effort for James Woods as well.  It is one of the better film noirs of the 70's, reflecting the burnout and cynicism of the post-Watergate era.  It is one of Arthur Penn's best, and Hackman did a great job as the burned out detective.  You would think this would be on DVD by now.  It is one of the 70's neglected gems.  Hard to believe it's 30 years old.

Talk about influential -- Bob Seger named a hit song after it, and Shane Black borrowed some ideas for Last Boy Scout.
Music is your best entertainment value.

joebuck

Wow, I'm really glad someone mentioned this neglected gem of early '70s pessimism and paranoia.  I only saw it once on video several years ago, but its kind of stuck with me ever since.  Particularly that haunting ending...

jasper_window

Warner Home Video has announced three new-to-DVD catalog titles, all starring the great Gene Hackman. Due on July 12th are Twice in a Lifetime, Night Moves and Scarecrow. All arrive with new anamorphic widescreen transfers and Dolby Digital mono tracks. Extras include a commentary track with Ann-Margret, Amy Madigan and director Bud Yorkin on Twice in a Lifetime, the vintage featurettes "The Day of the Director" on Night Moves and "On the Road with Scarecrow" on the Scarecrow disc. Each also comes with the original theatrical trailer. Retail is $19.97 apiece.

modage

i saw this because i had remembered this thread.  i generally like private eye films but this was just decent.  despite good acting/cast you felt where the story was going because of how familiar this kind of film is and there was little pull to keep me invested in the story.  probably not underrated or overrated, perhaps rated just fine.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Find Your Magali

I was close to blind-buying this a month or so ago, then I didn't pull the trigger. ... Definitely need to rent it, though.

Hackman rocks.