Re: True Romance

Started by StacksEdwards, January 07, 2004, 06:54:33 PM

StacksEdwards

In my opinion, True Romance is a great film.  Would it have been even better if QT directed (I think so), and if he did--would it be a damage to his legacy?
"The Book says, we may be through with the past, bit the past ain't through with us."

--Jimmy Gator, Magnolia

kotte

I won't even try to redirect.

Guff?

cowboykurtis

i agree with your question
...your excuses are your own...

©brad

Quote from: cowboykurtisi agree with your question

how can you agree with a question?

modage

Quote from: ©brad

i agree with that cbrad.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: ©brad

i agree with that cbrad.

gaaaaaaaaahhh!! it's too much for me!  :crazyeyes:

j_scott_stroup04

I've always felt it would be a better film had QT directed it.  Tony did a good job, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he delivered it with the style and panache that the script needed.  The only style in the film, really, was the script itself.  The characters it created.  Tony SAW the screenplay through average eyes.  He saw what most people would see when reading it.  We all know based on Dogs, Pulp, Jackie, and Bill, that QT is a HEAVILY stylized director.  Most of the time, that's what makes his films so much fun to watch, kind of a "what style is he going to do this time?" type of thing.
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

j_scott_stroup04

And another thing....

For those who have read the screenplay, or at least part of it, we know that it was originally written in a non-linear narrative.  I found this a better read than the film, to be honest with you.

I guess, to put it short, Tony turned a 4 star screenplay into a 3 1/2 star movie.  Not bad, though, but QT's footsteps are hard to match.
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

modage

on the commentary QT talks about the non-linear thing and how in the FIRST act of the film the viewer has no idea whats going on. the characters have way more info than the viewer and we must play catch up finding out who everybody is and whats going on.  the SECOND act would catch us up to whats going on.  and the THIRD act we would have way more info than the characters in the film.  making it kinda interesting.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ElPandaRoyal

I saw this for the first time since my only screening a loooong time ago on an old pan & scaned VHS. This time it went down a little better, and it's a very entertaining movie. Not as great as a real Tarantino movie, but quite good, just like From Dusk Till Dawn. The dialogue is great, and the performances are very funny, but I agree that this kind of needed another approach in the directing to trully be a masterpiece. No complains at all from me since the ride was quite great. Now I'll try and listen to the commentary track (parts anyway).
Si