Alfonso Cuaron

Started by filmcritic, June 18, 2003, 01:21:12 PM

filmcritic

Alfonso Cuaron is a really interesting director. His best film was "Y Tu Mama Tambien" but it looks like he'll be directing the new "Harry Potter" film coming out next year. What a departure that will be for him! :shock:

"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

bonanzataz

this isn't a departure at all. "y tu mama" was the departure. his american movies were "a little princess" and "great expectations. i hope the previews for the new harry potter movie go something like "from the director of Y Tu Mama Tambien" comes the years most talked about erotic drama.

if the movie doesn't end with ron and harry swordfighting in hermione's mouth, i'm going to be very disappointed.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

Quote from: bonanzatazif the movie doesn't end with ron and harry swordfighting in hermione's mouth, i'm going to be very disappointed.

:shock:  Is that what the premise for "Harry Potter & The Goblet of Fire" is?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

chainsmoking insomniac

"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

The Silver Bullet

Harry is going to have to have sex sometime in the next two books. He is like sixteen or something. And he is famous. And a wizard.

Dammit! I know I'd have sex with him!

Fuck.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

MacGuffin

According to Variety, Alfonso Cuarón who directed and co-wrote the hit road movie "Y tu mama tambien," starring Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal, will direct his next Spanish-language pic in Mexico. He'll take a bit of a break first after having wrapped directing the third Harry Potter installment, "The Prisoner of Azkaban," slated for a worldwide June release.

His next project will take on a more serious topic, the bloody student revolt of 1968 in Mexico, according to producer Jorge Vergara. "The Crime of Father Amaro" screenwriter Vicente Lenero is penning the script to "Mexico '68."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: MacGuffinAccording to Variety, Alfonso Cuarón who directed and co-wrote the hit road movie "Y tu mama tambien," starring Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal, will direct his next Spanish-language pic in Mexico. He'll take a bit of a break first after having wrapped directing the third Harry Potter installment, "The Prisoner of Azkaban," slated for a worldwide June release.

His next project will take on a more serious topic, the bloody student revolt of 1968 in Mexico, according to producer Jorge Vergara. "The Crime of Father Amaro" screenwriter Vicente Lenero is penning the script to "Mexico '68."

This should be very interesting.
Si

godardian

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaum
Quote from: MacGuffinAccording to Variety, Alfonso Cuarón who directed and co-wrote the hit road movie "Y tu mama tambien," starring Diego Luna and Gael Garcia Bernal, will direct his next Spanish-language pic in Mexico. He'll take a bit of a break first after having wrapped directing the third Harry Potter installment, "The Prisoner of Azkaban," slated for a worldwide June release.

This should be very interesting.

Absolutely. A Mexican Dreamers...???
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pubrick

Quote from: godardianAbsolutely. A Mexican Dreamers...???
hahah, the ironing is delicious.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Cuaron Mulls SF Film

Mexican-born director Alfonso Cuaron (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) told SCI FI Wire that his next film might very well be a science fiction movie, Children of Men. "That's a big possibility," Cuaron said in an interview. "I need to see what happens at the end of this [Azkaban] process. I would love to do that."

Cuaron added that he would also write Children of Men. "It's not really science-fiction," he said. "It's the world 30 years from now, [a time] in which for 18 years no human child has been born, for unknown reasons. Civilizations are falling apart. England is the last remaining civilization as we know it, because it's an island that's insulated itself from Europe, which is in civil wars and complete pandemonium. So the story takes place in that context. It's a story about hope and faith."

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Cuaron Inks Warner Bros. Deal
Under his new three-year, first-look deal, Alfonso Cuaron will develop both mainstream and Spanish-language films.

Mexican director Alfonso Cuaron (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) has signed a three-year, first-look production deal with Warner Bros. under which he will be able to develop both mainstream films and smaller, Spanish-language movies in Mexico.

The deal is unique in that the smaller, Spanish-language films will be developed through Cuaron's offices in Mexico and will be produced by Warner's local-language production division. Juan Tovar will head the Mexico office, where Cuaron's brother, Carlos Cuaron, will serve as a consultant.

Cuaron will also have an office in New York, run by Frida Torresblanco. Cuaron's own production company, Anhelo, will continue to exist independently of the WB deal.

In addition to Prisoner of Azkaban, Cuaron teamed with Warner on the English-language film A Little Princess. He just finished serving as a producer on ThinkFilm's The Assassination of Richard Nixon, starring Sean Penn.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Cuaron Up & RUNNING
With one Harry Potter film under his belt for Warner Bros., Alfonso Cuaron will now develop a big screen adaptation of Ron McLarty's The Memory of Running. Source: FilmStew.com

Through his new, three-year deal with Warner Bros., Alfonso Cuaron will develop a big screen adaptation of the Ron McLarty novel The Memory of Running, which Cuaron may also direct. Cuaron will produce through his new, unnamed, studio-based shingle with Frida Torresblanco serving as a co-producer.

McLarty adapted his novel for the big screen. The story centers on a overweight Vietnam vet who has been utterly depressed about the death of his parents. When he finds out his sister has passed away, he starts on a cross-country bicycle journey in an effort to reclaim her body.

Warner Bros. picked up the rights to the project back in 2003 for an estimated $1 million. The studio also recently acquired the rights to the Nicolas Krass novel The History of Love as a directing vehicle for Cuaron, who will develop mainstream and smaller Spanish-language films through his new Warner shingle.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Finn

I think he's a brilliant director who seems to reinvent his style with every movie. His best film is easily Great Expectations, but Y Tu Mama Tambien and A Little Princess were terrific too. The only thing that connects those movies is some of his artsy camera tricks and the color green, but that's about it. His characters and stories are completly different with every movie. I liked what he did with the new Harry Potter movie as well. I hope he keeps it up and I'm looking forward to Mexico '66.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

modage

Alfonso Cuaron in Talks for Life of Pi
Source: Variety April 1, 2005

Only a few days after M. Night Shyamalan decided to make Lady in the Water as his next film at Warner Brothers, Fox 2000 Pictures has begun talks with director Alfonso Cuaron ("Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban") to helm their adaptation of Yann Martel's bestselling novel "Life of Pi".

Dean Georgaris (Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life, Paycheck) has written a draft of the screenplay.

Cuaron's agent contacted Fox 2000 to offer the director's services when Shyamalan turned his back on the project to which his name has been attached since October 2003.

Cuaron is currently casting "Children of Men" at Universal, and a deal needs to be worked out with Warner Brothers, where Cuaron is based. He's also attached to a film adaptation of Nicole Krauss' forthcoming novel The History of Love for Warner Bros. Cuaron would reteam with Potter producer David Heyman on that film.

Life of Pi is an adventure tale that centers on Pi Patel, the brassy son of a zookeeper from Pondicherry, India. When the family hitches a ride on a freighter, in the process of moving to Canada, there is a shipwreck and Pi is later found adrift in the Pacific on a 26-foot lifeboat with a zebra, a hyena, an orangutan and a Bengal tiger.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

matt35mm

Oh crap, I told a friend that Shymalan was directing Life of Pi.  Now he's gonna think I lied.

What's a Mexican doing being in talks to direct this?  Psh.