INHERENT VICE (No Major Spoilers)

Started by cronopio 2, December 02, 2010, 09:51:28 AM

Frederico Fellini

Quote from: TheImaginator16 on March 27, 2014, 11:15:10 AM

Any of you know when the first teaser for The Master came out?

May 21 2012.

The other trailers where released on the 19th of the subsequent months.

May 21 was one hell of a day, I still remember it vividly. PTA even sent the trailer to Cigsandredvines with a note. I hope he does the same this time around. But Paul is pretty unpredictable.
We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Pubrick

Quote from: Axolotl on March 27, 2014, 10:59:55 AM
Josh Brolin talking about PTA's method on Inherent Vice yet again.
Quote"Joaquin and I would do these scenes together and Paul would say, 'This time do it with the table upside down, and you guys get under the table and I'm going to put a blanket over you, and I want you to whisper your lines. And now this time, no lines and no dialogue at all, and I want you to just dance your dialogue. Whatever that next line is, I want you to create a movement that's going to be what that line of dialogue was going to be if you spoke it.'

Quote"It was just craziness, you know, but really fun. After that, we'd go back to the scene and it would be fed by all those other things that you can create something magical. But you have to do some pretty weird things."

Is he being serious? This is incredible insight into his process. I love this stuff. It's the best we're gonna get now that he hardly talks about his films in this much detail.

And what is it with him and flipping tables? I remember cruise telling a story about making Magnolia when frank mackey loses his shit at the seminar and he hesitated for a moment when he felt he wanted to flip the table that's up on stage with him, I think it had refreshments and stuff, then PTA walks up to the table and just puts his hand on it and nods to cruise, as if to say, "yes flip this fucking table", which he did.

I think this film will see a lot of his conventions flipped on every axis possible, yes like in a Pynchon novel, but to me it feels more like a highly refined ecstatic spin, like Sufi worshippers in a trance. PTA must be flipping in his bed.
under the paving stones.

Cloudy

Quote from: Pubrick on March 28, 2014, 01:42:58 AM
I think this film will see a lot of his conventions flipped on every axis possible, yes like in a Pynchon novel, but to me it feels more like a highly refined ecstatic spin, like Sufi worshippers in a trance. PTA must be flipping in his bed.
It's interesting you say this because you said previously you haven't read the book. The book is always knocking on the door of pure spiritualism ("Sacrilege"), but always in a consciously borderline pseudo way. It's completely obvious after the master(magnolia, PDL, even TWBB) and through reading IV, that PTA is indeed flipping in his fucking bed. And I love it.

Punch

Continuing his work with august filmmakers, Brolin has just wrapped on a film with Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights, Magnolia, There Will Be Blood), a dark comedy drama called Inherent Vice, based on the novel of the same name by Thomas Pynchon.

"I just did a movie for P T Anderson that I didn't understand," he says of the experience. "The writing of Thomas Pynchon is so Shakespearean. It was crazy, chaotic but really, really gratifying.

"We took it I think in a direction that the book doesn't necessarily go, hoping it will work." The film represents something of a risk, but Brolin is okay with that; after all, if you don't try, you won't know.

"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

Pubrick

Can you at least mention the name of the site/publication your getting these quotes from?

Provide a link if you can.
under the paving stones.

wilder

It's the goddamn Playlist

Punch

"oh you haven't truly watched a film if you didn't watch it on the big screen" mumbles the bourgeois dipshit

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pubrick on March 29, 2014, 02:35:47 PM
Can you at least mention the name of the site/publication your getting these quotes from?

It's "you're," goddammit.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cloudy

8 minutes of new JonnyG stuff, "Self Portrait With Seven Fingers", great recording with a Tascam...if you scroll down you'll find a link to a torrent of the entire show:
https://soundcloud.com/funk-it-blog-1/jonny-greenwood-wordless-music

*edit* link to a couple others from the same recorder:
https://soundcloud.com/funk-it-blog-1

Punch

^ i have these in 320 mp3 if anyone wants them

Frederico Fellini

We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

Punch

Lottery

P Heat

I hope it's back to 2.35:1 aspect ratio....  :?
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Fuzzy Dunlop

Word is they've been doing their post in a sweet ass house in the Encino hills with a swimming pool and shit.

I remember hearing they rented a house in the valley for magnolia's post as well. That's such a cool way to do it, if you can convince the producers to hook it up, to be able to roll downstairs in your PJs or the one brown shirt you own or whatever and pick up where you left off last night, to live in the same house as the thing you're crafting.