Confirmed PDL DVD Info

Started by depooter, March 27, 2003, 04:09:00 PM

depooter

I'll have more up at the site tomorrow, but here's the skinny from PTA. There maybe some disappointment, but Paul was looking for an overall experience with the DVD to complement the film and not a potpourri of "junky" extras.

June 10th

Disc 1
Widescreen Version - high bitrate - "it looks fantastic"
Dolby Digital 6.1 EX
DTS
No commentary :( He wanted to preserve the highest bitrate possible and again, wants the movie to speak for itself....didn't want to "rip people off" with two versions of the DVD. This will be the only version.

Disc 2
Blossoms & Blood
2 Deleted Sequences
Mattress Man commercial
12 Internet Movies (i.e. Internet Trailers/spots)
Other stuff (TBD)
no behind the scenes documentary..

A lot of care was put into the menu design, packaging, nifty little booklet that will be included.

He's hopeful everyone will like it...

More soon as he's sending me up a care package to whet my appetite...

Again, more info for Friday's update on the site.

Thanks
Greg Mariotti
www.ptanderson.com
www.theuncool.com

aurora

Awwww I didn't mind 'no commentary' but what hurt me more was 'no documentary'

The Magnolia documentary was so awesome

:'(

Pedro

FUCK THIS!!! I wait months and NO FUCKING COMMENTARY!!! RAR!  I think that "speak for itself" thing *must* be an excuse...I'm saddened deeply...but hell at least it will look nice.

Ernie

Yeah, seriously...fuck this shit. I know it's not Paul's fault, I don't blame him for this...I know he cares more for his fans than this. This is really fucking bullshit though, I can't believe I have to wait over 3 more months for this.

The only thing that is semi-cool is the Blossoms and Blood thing which I didn't think would end up on there. I'm glad I won't have to feel guilty anymore for not ordering it off of Ebay.

I still love PTA and PDL. This is a really fucking huge disappointment though. No commentary OR documentary!? Wow, that's not really cool at all. Fuck that. I'd give away the cool looking case/booklet and the deleted scenes for a commentary/documentary. Biggest disappointment I've had to put up with in a long time. I'll still buy it.

sphinx

i'm actually very happy with those specs.  whatever he says is fine with me...

mary-oh-tee:
nice to see you again.  hope all is well.  hope cj is swell.
if you ever get a chance, tell peetee we need a hoffman/reilly commentary fix in the next five years if possible

depooter

I know people are upset, but again, PTA doesn't think this films suits a documentary or commentary. He thinks you'll find that the entire DVD presentation "fits" the movie. He doesn't want things to take you out of the experience of the film. He compared the DVD to climbing inside the mind of Jeremy Blake and his artwork and having a look around.

Be glad, you have a director that cares about the quality of his DVD releases, respect his wish to not do a commentary, he's not obligated to do one and he's not trying to screw the fans........

Cmon, guys, show some respect.

Duck Sauce

I am still excited, and have faith that all the stuff included will be pretty high quality. I am most excited with the high bitrate transfer, I am tired of my mediocre quality PDL screener. Still behind the scenes would have been nice.

aurora

I'm still excited too

I'll be defintely getting the Region 1 release instead of the Region 4 release.

The region 4 release of Magnolia packaging was just a normal plastic case

DTS is a very nice touch!

Some interviews or something would have been cool, like the ones from Cannes or something. But it doesn't matter. Its so cool how PTA like is in control of the DVD

snaporaz

i'm not disappointed at all. besides, even if there was a commentary track, i'd porbably only listen to it once. i think i've only heard my boogie nights commentary like twice. i like commentaries, but i don't consider them a "must". same thing goes for behind-the-scene docu's.

MacGuffin

Quote from: depooter2 Deleted Sequences

The Salvation Army scene and The Brothers dinner scene...or?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Victor

i want to see barry fully decked out in addidas gear.

"Whassis?"
are you gonna eat with us too?

Travis Bickle

But it doesn't "take you out of the experiance." and I'm sorry but I hate that "speak for itself" line. I wanna hear his insights and dammit, he should want to share them. and I wanna see how the creating process of this amazing movie all went down.
It's a huge let down, yet as I'm writing this, I'm starting to see his point of view a little bit. I remember when I was younger and I got to go to the bag lots, the behind the scenes of Disneyland....took away the magic.

Newtron

Quote from: ebeaman69Yeah, seriously...fuck this shit. I know it's not Paul's fault, I don't blame him for this...I know he cares more for his fans than this. This is really fucking bullshit though, I can't believe I have to wait over 3 more months for this.
The film itself hasn't even been released theatrically in Australia and other places, ya fuckin' baby.

EL__SCORCHO

Damn, I was kind of hoping for a behind the scenes documentary. Like a 2 or 3 hour one.

Ghostboy

Hey, you buy the film for the film...extras are icing on the cake, but unnecessary in the end.  I love commentaries and documentaries, but there are certain directors who I'd rather have leave their work a mystery. David Lynch to this day hasn't revealed how he made the baby in Eraserhead, and I think that makes the film that much more special. I applaud PTA for giving us a disc that will help us experience his movie, rather than deconstruct it. I loved all the commentaries on Hard Eight and Boogie Nights, but with PDL and Magnolia, I do believe they speak for themselves.

Can't wait.