Whoops! - Marty's Oscar campaign

Started by mutinyco, June 30, 2003, 11:00:41 AM

Alexandro

mutinyco...

you should just drop this...i know you have an opinion but is kind of ridiculous when a person as smart as you clearly are has this absurd internet crusade to just bash martin scorsese...a person dedicating time and effort to gather info and post messages that in one way or another insults the man and his fans...is like...well, as absurd as that william goldman article that made him look like an idiot who couldn't  understand a movie...

you don't like his movies? they don't ring bells to you? well, in the inmortal words of the dude, that's like, your opinion, man...you are mroe likeable when you write about the stuff you like...which reminds me to ask you to write an essay abot artificial intelligence, the world needs it...we should be campaigning for the world to recognise films, not to trash them...what do you think??

and by the way---the post good fellas scorsese movies are less successfull but way more intersting in my view...and pt anderson has already three great movies on his pocket, at least on my view too...

cool

mutinyco

I actually did write about A.I. when it first came out. To the best of my knowledge I was the first to break the news that he really dies at the end and everything you see with his mother is a programmed delusion. I unfortunately don't have a link to it though.

And I don't have a person vendeta to trash M.S., so much as I want to knock him off his pedestal. For the past 10 years there's been no counterprogramming to his praise. I'm just trying to make up for that.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Arnzilla

mutinyco, your opinions may be odious, but your facts are erroneous.
Quote from: mutinyco
He was a goddamn yo-yo on this one. After he reviewed it Miramax gave him shit so he started backtracking. Miramax is like the mafia. And against poor critical support and a poor CinemaScore poll, they hyped it into a masterpiece.
:roll: Oy vey. Ebert gave it 3½ stars. It was his best-reviewed film of the five best pic nominees, which is why he chose it in his If We Picked the Winners show.

As for "poor critical support," the critics tended to disagree with you.
http://www.geninn.net/critics/topfilms.htm

SoNowThen

Quote from: Alexandromutinyco...

you should just drop this...i know you have an opinion but is kind of ridiculous when a person as smart as you clearly are has this absurd internet crusade to just bash martin scorsese...a person dedicating time and effort to gather info and post messages that in one way or another insults the man and his fans...is like...well, as absurd as that william goldman article that made him look like an idiot who couldn't  understand a movie...

you don't like his movies? they don't ring bells to you? well, in the inmortal words of the dude, that's like, your opinion, man...you are mroe likeable when you write about the stuff you like...which reminds me to ask you to write an essay abot artificial intelligence, the world needs it...we should be campaigning for the world to recognise films, not to trash them...what do you think??

and by the way---the post good fellas scorsese movies are less successfull but way more intersting in my view...and pt anderson has already three great movies on his pocket, at least on my view too...

cool

Yes! Yes! Another beautiful post. Kudos, m'man.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

On the contrary. Ebert was a yo-yo. Although I can't access it because EW is a pay site now, I believe his critical grade there was a B. And as I said, he started backtracking after his original review. On the annual best of show, he went so far as to say something like: For most directors this would be a masterpiece, but for Scorsese it's just not one of his. He then proceeded to name 10 films from 2002 that were better.

To see it's real response go to:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/GangsofNewYork-1110067/

77% is shit.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Quote from: mutinycoOn the contrary. Ebert was a yo-yo. Although I can't access it because EW is a pay site now, I believe his critical grade there was a B. And as I said, he started backtracking after his original review. On the annual best of show, he went so far as to say something like: For most directors this would be a masterpiece, but for Scorsese it's just not one of his. He then proceeded to name 10 films from 2002 that were better.

To see it's real response go to:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/GangsofNewYork-1110067/

77% is shit.

Where's that horse? It's over there. Fucking smack it. BAM! BAM! BAM!

...shit, it's already dead. Fuck it, smack it some more. WHAM! WHAM! Yeah!! You give it to that horse.

BAM! Take that, horse.
:roll:
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

Why It Makes Sense to Beat a Dead Horse:    

1) Sets an example for other horses. (that might be watching)

2) Aerobic workout.

3) Horse might not be dead yet. (Better safe than sorry. You can never be too careful.)

4) Tenderizes the meat.

5) Horse is unable to fight back.

6) Makes you feel good. (Provides a welcome relief from tension or anxiety.)

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Your new nickname is Glue Factory.

mutinyco

Yours can be tenderized meat...

-St. Joe

Pubrick

the ghost of sphinx would not approve.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

Something tells me Wooderson is gonna stick awhile.

to which I totally approve!!

Alexandro

Quote from: mutinycoI actually did write about A.I. when it first came out. To the best of my knowledge I was the first to break the news that he really dies at the end and everything you see with his mother is a programmed delusion. I unfortunately don't have a link to it though.

And I don't have a person vendeta to trash M.S., so much as I want to knock him off his pedestal. For the past 10 years there's been no counterprogramming to his praise. I'm just trying to make up for that.

Well, post those writings around here...that's a cool theory but it's not definitive, though...

and for the other stuff...c'mon man, don't be childish...people like McG are actually making crap AND making money...the enemy is on the other side...

mutinyco

I'd have to hunt down a copy of the A.I. article. I'll look. But I am correct about the ending. On the DVD, Jan Harlan, Kubrick's brother in law, who executive produced A.I., says that at the end he finally learns what it's like to be a real person, because humans ultimately die.

-St. Joe

mutinyco

I'd also like to point out that the entire 3rd act of Minority Report was quite probably Anderton's halo dream in prison. All of his dreams came true...

-St. Joe

Arnzilla

Quote from: mutinycoOn the contrary. Ebert was a yo-yo. Although I can't access it because EW is a pay site now, I believe his critical grade there was a B. And as I said, he started backtracking after his original review.
Once again, his "original review" in the Chicago Sun-Times gave it 3½ stars. So enough with this yo-yo nonsense.