Whoops! - Marty's Oscar campaign

Started by mutinyco, June 30, 2003, 11:00:41 AM

Pubrick

Quote from: mutinycoI actually thought what I said about PTA was a compliment. I was underrating him. Thom Yorke said the best compliment he received with regard to OK Computer was that it was an excellent album, but not the best thing Radiohead will ever make.
that's not the same as what u said.

what u said meant "paul's movies so far hav been less than great"

what the thom yorke critic meant, from what u wrote, "ok computer is ekzellent, and future works will be more than excellent, i love u thom".

either ur a bad writer, or u don't know what u mean.
under the paving stones.

mutinyco

Please. Search out Janet Maslin's review of The Thin Red Line. Although I disagreed with her overall opinion of the film, she made an interesting point: she stressed that just because a film is made by a great filmmaker, it doesn't automatically mean that it is a great film.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

mutinyco

The points I'm making aren't emotional. They're clear and rational observations. You shouldn't approach what I've said with an emotional gang mentailty. I'm simply try to stir debate.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Pubrick

Quote from: mutinycoshe stressed that just because a film is made by a great filmmaker, it doesn't automatically mean that it is a great film.
i agree with that. it's common sense.

but Boogie Nights and Magnolia are great films, i don't care who u quote or refer to, it's just a fact.

also Thin Red Line is one of the top 10 films of the 90s. look into my soul and tell me i'm lying.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

I wouldn't use the term "rational" in your observations. I see it more as a personal vendetta against Scorsese.

And please don't tell me that I "can't expect to be an artist or filmmaker" based on your criteria. Puh-leeze.

How do you think these filmmakers (PTA, Scorsese, Malick) came to be my favorites? It's because pretty much everything they do connects with me, and produces a wonderful reaction. It is not automatically a great film, but when these men make something, it always carries high merit with me. Because I love what they have to say, and how they say it. It is a joy to behold. Maybe you should get back to the emotional joy of things, instead of tearing them apart with your Critic Mentality. I'm sure we could look at your films and tear the shit out of them. It's your point of view -- if you look for shit, and wanna write about shit, that's what you're gonna find. It's a destructive attitude.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

chainsmoking insomniac

Mutiny, what are your favorite films/directors?
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

mutinyco

Filmmakers...

Stanley Kubrick, Steven Spielberg, The Coens, Francis Ford Coppola, Terrence Malick, Robert Altman

Films...

Kubrick 1964-75, Coppola 1972-79, Fellini's 8 1/2, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Manhattan, Fast Times at Ridgement High, Nashville

Give or take. That said, I can easily understand why other people might not like these directors, especially my favorite Kubrick. Yes, he's emotional inaccessible, his films are slow, pessimistic, intellectual. I understand that and will debate why I think that's interesting. Perhaps this is an over statement, but I find a lot of Scorsese or PTA fans can't understand why somebody doesn't like their films. The reaction is much more emotional.

And if you're really questioning my feelings about PTA as a filmmaker check this out, cause I can assure you I wouldn't have put in this much effort if I didn't think somewhat highly of him...

http://movienavigator.org/pdlatbam.htm

-St. Joe

mutinyco

And my point is that you're not an artist if you can't deal with that. I'm saying, if you want to be an artist you should learn to deal with it. A good friend isn't somebody who always tells you you're right. A good friend is somebody who levels with you. Somebody who's honest.

-St. Joe

mutinyco

I meant, And my point isn't that you're not an artist if you can't deal with that.

Not:
"And my point is that you're not an artist if you can't deal with that."

Type-o.

-St. Joe

chainsmoking insomniac

Well, I happen to like every film you listed up there, although with the exception of A Clockwork I'm not a big Kubrick fan.  
I don't take it personally when you say you don't like Scorsese, so I'm not reacting with my emotions.  I just don't understand why you don't like him....on a cerebral level, if you will.
Also, what is the point in posting that PTA link?  Are you saying you do or don't like his work?
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"

mutinyco

I'm saying what said before. I think he's an extremely talented filmmaker. Possibly the most exciting young filmmaker out there right now. I just don't think he's made a genuinely great film yet. I'm of the opinion that I'm lucky to see 6 great films per decade. He will make one one day.

-St. Joe

mutinyco

My point is that I spent a week working on the illustration and photography for that article about PTA. I wasn't paid a dime. That in and of itself should say enough...

-St. Joe

mutinyco

-St. Joe

chainsmoking insomniac

Well kudos on the illustration and artwork man.   :)
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

mutinyco

-St. Joe