PTA is not very food

Started by cinemascope, August 27, 2003, 01:09:42 PM

SoNowThen

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: cinemascopeTruffaut has made a lot more movies than PTA, there is a lot more to talk about.
As I wait, I'll go delete the Terrence Malick thread, since he's only done three films so far.

Booyah!!!

Mac: 1
Cinemascope: 0

Is this guy the new mutinyco, or what? Totally trendy to rip on a well-respected director, I see.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

markums2k

Quote from: cinemascopelook at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me look at me

Quote from: everyone elsefuck off

©brad

Quote from: chainsmoking insomniacCinemascope,

I'm quite eager to hear your arguments against PTA.  

well im not.

here cinemadope, i got a redirect for u-

//www.aintitcoolnews.com

ull fit in great there. ppl will really care what u have to say. i wish u luck.

cinemascope

Thank you soixante for your intelligence and willingness to communicate.  I personally don't give credit to directors for actors work.  I think actors genious is their own.  I also don't know Tom Cruises taste in movies so his willingness to work for scale is sort of irrelevant.  I also don't dislike pta's movies, I enjoy them, but I still don't think they are up to par with other great directors, I just gave Truffout as an example.  All the character stuff of his shows some literary talent however I don't see character development having anything to do with cinema.  The one thing though you mentioned about anxiety I agree partly with but for me what I thought was well done was the use of score and sound design to create the anxiety with the sisters, too bad he cut out the rest of the sister scenes.  I still say Tarantino has much more ambition(sold scripts as a video store worker vs getting money and distribution from sundance, not that sundance is easy to get money from for me though it's a lot easier to give up on film when you make shit for cash and not even in the industry) and is a much better director, also, if it weren't for Pulp Fiction Boogie nights would never have been produced, not that that has anything to do with anything, just something interesting.   Seeing the latest stuff you guys wrote I'm just going to leave you guys alone,this stuff is too time consuming.
"But...Some people call me...the Street Fighter"-Sonny Chiba (Street Fighters Last Revenge)

RegularKarate

Quote from: cinemascopeI don't see character development having anything to do with cinema.

Hmmm.... figured you for someone who read a lot of film books, now it seems that you don't even have that going for you... well, enjoy yourself somewhere else... or stay and explain yourself... either way

Gold Trumpet

Ah well. He asked for replies of content to actually discuss PTA's work and got it (in forms of giving PTA merit and breaking down his arguments). Now he is saying is overwhelmed and going to bow out. With his last post, he really hasn't added anything. He replied to some minor quibbles but didn't go into explaining anything about the main points. It all refers again to "I just think his films are fun and not up to par with other great director" or something along the same lines. Its his decision, but this really looks bad for him if he isn't going to cough up and get down and dirty in some discussion.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

Quote from: cinemascopeI personally don't give credit to directors for actors work.  I think actors genious is their own.

A director is one who directs. He directs his actors in which direction to take the character and that reflects upon the story. Talk to any actor, and they will say that they have to respect the director in order to have freedom with their character. When they are 'in the moment', actors have to rely on their directors to tell them when they have gone to far or not far enough, for, when it comes to the editing time, it's the director who will cut their performance together.

Quote from: cinemascopeAll the character stuff of his shows some literary talent however I don't see character development having anything to do with cinema.

Without character development, there would be no story in character driven screenplays/movies. For the characters' 'arc' should drive the story. They have to learn a lesson, or have a change of heart, something that will take us along on their journey (look to Truffaut movies for this example too - Jules and Jim, 400 Blows, etc.). And because we will know what they seek, we, as the audience, will feel for them if they reach their goal, or not achieve it in the end. It's because we have invested our feelings and emotions that we empathize with them. And, in the end, isn't that what makes great cinema?

Quote from: cinemascopeI still say Tarantino has much more ambition (sold scripts as a video store worker vs getting money and distribution from sundance, not that sundance is easy to get money from for me though it's a lot easier to give up on film when you make shit for cash and not even in the industry) and is a much better director, also, if it weren't for Pulp Fiction Boogie nights would never have been produced, not that that has anything to do with anything, just something interesting.

Tarantino got something from Sundance too. "Res. Dogs" was a accepted for their workshop. And if you want to talk about PTA stealing from others, I suggest you watch Ringo Lam's "City On Fire" and see how "Res. Dogs" is a bigger rip-off of that film, than "Magnolia" is of "Short Cuts". Also, the character names for "Res. Dogs" are lifted from "The Taking Of Pelham One, Two, Three" and the suits are taken from John Woo's "Better Tomorrow" movies.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

No wonder I didn't want to waste all that space arguing points about PTA. The man wasn't worth anything and I am now stupider for taking the time to read what he's had to say. Shame on me for that and fuck you, 'scope, for being a pussy about everything. Tuck your tail between your legs and take off for good. Good riddance to you, fuckface.

filmcritic

Well, at least cinemascope got everyone talking. This thing has turned into 4 pages!
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

©brad

NEON MERCURY

..Filmcritic your funny..in that anoying younger brother way.. :wink:
i actually think you need this board and this board needs you .

my 2 sense on this topic

Fanboy reaction-he is the perfect director.  he can do no wrong all of his films will replace citizen kane as "the greatest film of all"....

a rational film buff reaction=he is great .  and something to look forward to with each film...he may "borrow" certian ideas from others but who doesn't??.
in the end he is creative and imploys his "touch"  to his films .....he is one of the promising talented directors from the post 90's..era

my reation=i obviously like this guy .or i wouldn't have received an e-mail notifying me of this board since the old one is defunct.  so i think he's creative, talented, original, and knows how to flatter to the point of not being over saturated.........

EDIT: what do you  mean by "not that great"..like a McG great or a Tarantino great or a kubrick great?????

IMO the greatest director in film history will be DARREN ARONOFSKY..his name has that "ring" to it also.

filmcritic

Well, I'm glad that you're amused, Neon. :yabbse-undecided:
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Gamblour.

Sigh...these kinds of posts are so exhausting. And ultimately pointless
WWPTAD?

Mellow Fellow

it is my goal in life to get Conan an oscar, and by God i will do it. you heard it here first, commence anticipation
Some people say I was an embarassment to the nation. Well, I say, that depends on what your definition of "was" is, jerk.

Vile5

Quote from: cinemascopeIs there a reason no one is giving me reasons to like pta, i'm willing to listen to why people think he's great....

well, well, well... finally something to talk about on this section, ok
do you want to know why people here loves PTA??

anyone can say something definitive about it darling, the reason why you like a filmmaker, a painter, a singer, a band even a writer is so personal, because art is personal.
In my case i love PTA for details, i love where he put the telephone in the Barry Egan's flat, i love the way he used the music in Magnolia, i love his characters, i love how he treat them,i love the woman in red walking in the supermarket, i love his phone conversations , i love the way how he moves the camera in this or that scene... details that kind of little things i like to see in a movie...
Now he's not original for you, great! who is on these days???
Tarantino?? mmmm.... is your opinion
maybe you expect originality in movies but i think you'll suffer so much because these days originality (and i mean real originality) is so hard to find, boy.  

Quote from: cinemascopePTA to me just seems like a trendy guy who thinks it's cool to be a film director.
I disagree with you, but i understand you say something like that, because you never had a real interest to follow him, and that's not a crime, maybe the 'crime' is say that to people who really knows the fascination PTA has for movies.
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí