Suspiria

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, April 16, 2005, 11:57:28 AM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This is apparently one of the scariest movies of all time.  It's rare to find an actual scary film, so I decided to give it a watch.  

SPOILERS

Its tagline reads "The only thing scarier than the last 10 minutes of the film... are the first 90!"  To me, that implied the ending was going to suck, but I disregarded it as not the intention of those who put the tagline there, and went on to watch it.  

Apparently the movie's strong point wasn't story, acting, dialogue... but it was stylized deaths.  Doesn't that just put this movie on par with Final Destination?  Well, actually, the colors might put it on a higher level, but even then, the colors won't do much for the movie.  This movie tried for shock value, but didn't try very hard at all.  The only real interesting death was the girl who fell into all that fiberwire or barbed wire or whatever it was.  

This might take another viewing to get, but really this movie is extremely overrated.  The movie doesn't really explore witchcraft, just saying that there is a witch... who does scary things...

The only time the movie established a tense atmosphere that induced a little fear was right before she killed the old witch thing in the bed.  How is this movie regarded as one of the scariest movies ever?  It doesn't scare much on a shock value basis, nor on a psychological basis, and not even a "BOO!" to make you jump basis.

If the movie wasn't going to be strong on plot, dialogue, acting, or even scare the audience much... then the movie intended to dazzle the audience with single color shades?

I really hope I missed something upon viewing this...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

modage

i think the atmosphere is scarier than any of the (colorful) deaths.  what you dont see especially towards the opening of the film, and driven especially by the SCORE makes for a tenser film than one with better deaths, etc.  so i would say you missed that, and just the fact that Italian horror films seem to have a rhythm all their own and this is (arguably) one of the best.  i dont know that it really scared me when i watched it, but its rare that a horror film can do that anymore.  but i think it definitely was 'freaky' like the ring when i saw that.  thats about the best i can ask for anymore. also: i dont know what the conditions were like when you watched it, but that always affects movies like this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

I think I was high when I saw this, but I got bored and fell asleep.

SPOILERS:

However, the beating heart was the sickest shit ever.
WWPTAD?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: themodernage02also: i dont know what the conditions were like when you watched it, but that always affects movies like this.

I tried to really focus in on the movie, but it just didn't pull me in effectively.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

RegularKarate

I don't think it's actually that scary, but it's an amazing film.

anyone who saw Ring 2 notice that the score COMPLETELY ripped off parts of the Suspiria score?

Film Student

suspiria is a spectacular movie.  Most of those italian horrors from the 70's and 80's aren't actually scary, just extremely fun to watch and very well-made.  Fulci's Zombie and Bava's Demons are right up there with Suspiria...

and Ring 2 Definitely ripped of the Goblin score...
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter