the house that jack built

Started by Robyn, November 02, 2016, 01:26:53 PM

Robyn

USA in the 1970s. We follow the highly intelligent Jack over a span of 12 years and are introduced to the murders that define Jack's development as a serial killer. We experience the story from Jack's point of view, while he postulates each murder is an artwork in itself. As the inevitable police intervention is drawing nearer, he is taking greater and greater risks in his attempt to create the ultimate artwork. Along the way we experience Jack's descriptions of his personal condition, problems and thoughts through a recurring conversation with the unknown Verge - a grotesque mixture of sophistry mixed with an almost childlike self-pity and psychopathic explanations. The House That Jack Built is a dark and sinister story, yet presented through a philosophical and occasional humorous tale.

Matt Dillon To Play Serial Killer In Lars Von Trier's 'The House That Jack Built

Lars von Trier has never been short on ambition, but even he must've wondered what he could possibly do next after his two-part, button-pushing epic "Nymphomaniac." Well, he's decided to turn from sex to death. First announced in 2015, "The House That Jack Built" was originally pitched as an 8-part TV series, but along the way, it has been retooled into a feature film, with Von Trier's producer saying earlier this year that it's structurally in line with "Nymphomaniac." Either way, it sounds like yet another effort that will see the director take audiences to the edge. And with production slated to begin soon, he's starting to put his cast together.

Matt Dillon has signed up to play the lead role in the film as a serial killer, with legendary actor Bruno Ganz as Verge who will be a sounding board of sorts for the murderer. It actually sounds not unlike the relationship Charlotte Gainsbourg's character in "Nymphomaniac" had with Stellan SkarsgÄrd, and the format of 'Jack' does sound similar.

Set in Washington during the '70s and '80s, and stretching out across twelve years, the story will be told from Jack's point of view as he develops into a serial killer, and tries to create his grand work of "art" as the police draw closer to capturing him.

"[Von Trier] calls it the five incidents, which is the murder cases and then he has a lot of digressions in between to connect the story, in a similar way as in 'Nymphomaniac,' " producer Louise Vesth said in the spring. "It will be a serial killer movie like you've never seen before."

There's much more casting to come including four prominent female roles, and cameras will roll soon in Denmark and Sweden. [Deadline]

http://theplaylist.net/matt-dillon-play-jack-ripper-lars-von-triers-house-jack-built-20161102/

Robyn

Robyn

Also, some other stuff:
-He has talked to the people at Cannes and there's a chance that the film will premier there.
-It's apparently his most expensive film to date.
-Riley Keough, that chick from american honey is casted as one of the girls!

Robyn

I guess I can post this as well, i'm just thirsting news.

On the creative process, roughly translated:
"It's hell. I have so much anxiety. I think i'm starting to get too old to figure out how I will shot a film or work with actors...it's a challenge of dimensions. I don't think I will survive another film after this."

Robyn

Robyn

I have a feeling Matt Dillon will be surprisingly good in this.

Alethia

Robyn

do anyone know if films outside competition usually do press conferences and all that?

because trier at cannes is always exciting, and some of his funniest moments was born there... "I am the best director in the world", the press conference with kidman, etc.

Something Spanish

He's hilarious: "What can I say? I understand Hitler. He did some wrong things, absolutely, but I can see him sitting there in his bunker at the end ... I sympathise with him, yes, a little bit."
"I am very much for Jews; well not too much because Israel is a pain in the ass. But still, how can I get out of this sentence ... OK I'm a Nazi."

Robyn

it's hard to tell if you are being sarcastic or not...

if someone is interested, he talks about the hitler comment in this recent interview (from 17:00).

Robyn

Alethia

Robyn

"I've never seen anything like this at a film festival. More than 100 people have walked out of Lars von Trier's 'The House That Jack Built,' which depicts the mutilation of women and children. "It's disgusting," one woman said on her way out.", "Lars has gone too far this time", "should not have been made." etc, etc

from twitter

Drenk

That tweet made me laugh:

"so so soooooo many walkouts during THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT but jeez louise the people that stayed launch into massive applause at the end. I smoked my first ever cigarette after lol"
Ascension.