The 83rd Annual Academy Awards

Started by MacGuffin, March 25, 2010, 01:01:48 PM

Stefen

Thanks for saving the new page.

Yeah, there was some good stuff tonight, but overall it was a disappointment. This was pretty much a xixax year, but it didn't prevail.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gamblour.

Ebert says its the worst Oscarcast he's ever seen. I wouldn't go that far (Billy Crystal isn't THAT good), but it was definitely subpar. The sets were absolutely boring. Franco was too stoned, Hathaway too cheesy. Melissa Leo wins Least Charming Person on the Planet. Kirk Douglas wins Most Likely to Be in the In Memoriam Next Year. Thought most of the speeches were good. Florence and dude were great, others were boring as shit. This all says nothing of what actually won. Yeah, pretty miserable Oscars.
WWPTAD?

Myxo

Despite "King's Speech" winning BP, I still have zero interest in seeing it. Always bugs me when something wins BP and I feel so detached from the story.

Edit: ..and ditto "Exit Through the Gift Shop" not winning. That bummed me out too.

squints

Quote from: modage on January 25, 2011, 01:07:10 PM
No offense to Tom Hooper, but I'll bet Nolan could direct a pretty good "King's Speech." Could anyone else have directed "Inception"?

This is what i kept saying to my friends all night, Christopher Nolan, Darren Aronscarfsky, The Coen. Bros, David Fincher...gaspar noe (well maybe not gaspar noe) could have all directed the king's speech

Tom Hooper couldn't have directed any of their movies.

Worst. Oscars. Ever.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

children with angels

There's no way that it's the best film of the year, but it should probably be acknowledged that The King's Speech isn't a BAD film. It isn't a directorial nonentity like, say, A Beautiful Mind - it's got it's own visual sense. It isn't dramatically cheap and offensive in its politics like Crash - it's a solidly told human story. Given that we know the academy never actually awards 'best picture' to the best pictures, this movie is more artistically distinctive than a film needs to be in order to win (Titanic, Braveheart, etc...). I agree it's kind of annoying in a year when a number of particularly good other films were nominated for the top prize. I just never expect much more than mediocrity from the Oscars in the first place, so I'm content for a slightly-better-than-workmanlike movie to get praised by a routinely unimaginative organisation.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Pubrick

shit oscars deserves a shit summary:

what's my wife's name again?
christian bale

what the hell?
gwyneth paltrow

get off the stage, i wanna go home/to bed!
the kids
under the paving stones.

Pas

Also, James Franco was way too stoned.

mogwai

Once again the Oscars was forgettable.

Oh, I just realised that I didn't see it. Congrats to Trent Reznor though.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reel

Good read. I'm just hoping to erase The King's Speech from memory. I said before that I'll protest by not seeing for at least a year so I can judge it for what it really is. I'm guessing it'll make me cry at some point.
oh boy..

polkablues

Quote from: Filmdrunk.comOkay, maybe it wasn't terrible, but The King's Speech is not a film that should win Best Picture at the Oscars, it's a film that should win Best Picture at a parody of the Oscars.  If Seltzer-Friedberg were slightly talented and made a film called "Oscar Movie," it would look exactly like The King's Speech.

This.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

^pretty much. I called it awhile ago.

It was oscar bait. That's all it was. And it worked. It's a shame, too, because this year was pretty great in terms of good filmmakers putting out good movies that were actually recognized by the Academy.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

RegularKarate

I haven't read this thread since Sunday night, but in honor of the most boringly predictable Best Picture win, I give you:

Stefen

^LOL. That was pretty good. The guy got the proper British stuff perfect. Especially the Firth "I have a voice!" part and Rush.

Man, I don't know what was cornier in terms of parts in trailers this year, the because I have a voice bit from Kings Speech or the if god wanted another angel why didn't he just make one bit from Rabbit Hole.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Stefen on March 01, 2011, 02:50:45 PM
^LOL. That was pretty good. The guy got the proper British stuff perfect. Especially the Firth "I have a voice!" part and Rush.

Thanks!  The guy is me.

Stefen, I wonder the same thing.  I didn't want to have anything to do with Rabbit Hole when I first saw that happen in the trailer.