Too Many Ads!

Started by filmcritic, September 14, 2003, 01:06:04 AM

filmcritic

I'm getting really tired of all the trailers and commercials that show before these movies in theatres. Can't we just get on with the show here? It's not just movie trailers, but also regular commercials usually involving skin products, drinks or cars. But in most of the movies I've gone to the theatres to see, there have been 7 to 10 trailers before the movie. Back in 2000 when "Mission Impossible 2" came out, there were 16! I think the maximum should be 3 and no more after that!
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Cecil

i like trailers, but get tired of seeing the same ones over and over again. those regular commercials before the trailers have got to go though

Pubrick

hate trailers. always arrive late if i MUST go to the stinking theatre.
under the paving stones.

Pubrick

i hate the pop up ads on ebert's site. like a fuggin million of em.
under the paving stones.

Sleuth

I hope the Gator Corporation burns in Hell
I like to hug dogs

rustinglass

Yeah, what's the deal with them? Every time I scan my computer with ad-aware, I have about 10 gator data-miners or something. Fuck them!!
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Duck Sauce

Quote from: filmcriticI'm getting really tired of all the trailers and commercials that show before these movies in theatres. Can't we just get on with the show here? It's not just movie trailers, but also regular commercials usually involving skin products, drinks or cars. But in most of the movies I've gone to the theatres to see, there have been 7 to 10 trailers before the movie. Back in 2000 when "Mission Impossible 2" came out, there were 16! I think the maximum should be 3 and no more after that!

Why dont you just go later?

filmcritic

I've thought about that many times and usually I walk into the theatre about 5 or 7 minutes after the reel starts. But it seems that when I show up later, then there aren't many previews. But when I don't show up later, they're tons!
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

Duck Sauce

Quote from: filmcriticI've thought about that many times and usually I walk into the theatre about 5 or 7 minutes after the reel starts. But it seems that when I show up later, then there aren't many previews. But when I don't show up later, they're tons!

maybe thats because you missed the trailers by coming in later

phil marlowe

in denmark we have about 3 or 4, we don't walk out and we don't make no goddamn comments during the film.

rustinglass

Quote from: phil marlowein denmark we have about 3 or 4, we don't walk out and we don't make no goddamn comments during the film.
do you answer the phone, if not, I'm moving
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

phil marlowe

Quote from: rustinglass
Quote from: phil marlowein denmark we have about 3 or 4, we don't walk out and we don't make no goddamn comments during the film.
do you answer the phone, if not, I'm moving
no people here are very polite film goers but you shouldn't move here, we danes don't like foreigners. you'll end up getting shot, raped and lynched, no offence.

rustinglass

Where the hell did you get the idea I was moving to denmark?
-Emir Kusturica

phil marlowe

Quote from: rustinglassWhere the hell did you get the idea I was moving to denmark?
umm i...i thought...i...ummm...MOMMY!!!

Find Your Magali

I don't go to the theaters often enough anymore to be put off by trailers (though, as many said, the freakin' ads must go). ...

I still enjoy trailers, because you never know when you're going to get an absolutely brilliant one that gets your hopes way, way up for a movie (sometimes, your hopes get too high: Case in point, the trailer for "The Phantom Menace.")

Anyway, so I like the trailers.

Also, you never know when you're going to get a special treat, such as hearing Brion's "So Now Then" used as part of the music mix for a trailer ("Evelyn," I believe).

To sum up:
1. dump the ads
2. Keep the trailers
3. bring back the cartoons!