(Wes Anderson) Hotel Chevalier

Started by modage, August 21, 2007, 09:49:54 AM

tpfkabi

i'm glad they did this.
people who have already seen it and liked it now have a reason to go again - to see the short on the big screen (or do those that saw it already feel cheated?)

anyone think you'll have horny frat boys coming to see Nat nude in the short and then leaving?

hopefully at least one of these 800 come close to me!
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

bonanzataz

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 22, 2007, 09:29:36 PM
Fox Searchlight also is hoping the short is Oscar-worthy and plans to promote it as a contender in the best live-action short category.

yeah, that's awesome. let's give a slot in the academy awards away that's designed to recognize new talent to somebody that's already established. what a great idea.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

tpfkabi

imdb

Portman Regrets Nude Scene

Actress Natalie Portman insists she'll never bare all on the big screen again after regretting a saucy scene in new short film Hotel Chevalier. The shots of the actress baring all in the film hit the internet earlier this year - months before the movie hit festivals in September. And Portman admits she's rather upset about agreeing to do something she felt awkward about in the Wes Anderson-directed prelude to The Darjeeling Limited. She says, "I'm really sorry I didn't listen to my intuition. From now on, I'm going to trust my gut more. Sometimes the most powerful thing you can do is say no."

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pozer

edison

UPDATE: A U.S. magazine has been forced to apologize to actress Natalie Portman after suggesting she's far from happy with her performance in short film Hotel Chevalier. Sunday supplement Parade stated Portman was talking about the movie, in which she appears nude, when she commented about an "uncomfortable" scene she shot in a forthcoming essay she wrote for the publication. But the actress' publicist, Kelly Bush, has pounced on Parade, insisting her client was actually talking about a torture scene in new film Goya's Ghosts. A statement from the magazine's publicist reads, "We say that Portman regrets doing a nude scene in the movie Hotel Chevalier. This is wrong. When Portman writes about this in Parade, she does not mention a specific movie title. She tells us she was referring to a torture scene with a body double in Goya's Ghosts, which was taken out of context and leaked onto the Internet. Portman is very happy with Hotel Chevalier and proud of her work in the film." In her essay, Portman admits she is still rather upset about agreeing to do something she felt awkward about, writing, "I'm really sorry I didn't listen to my intuition. From now on, I'm going to trust my gut more."

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: edison on October 25, 2007, 05:06:07 PM
UPDATE: A U.S. magazine has been forced to apologize to actress Natalie Portman after suggesting she's far from happy with her performance in short film Hotel Chevalier. Sunday supplement Parade stated Portman was talking about the movie, in which she appears nude, when she commented about an "uncomfortable" scene she shot in a forthcoming essay she wrote for the publication. But the actress' publicist, Kelly Bush, has pounced on Parade, insisting her client was actually talking about a torture scene in new film Goya's Ghosts. A statement from the magazine's publicist reads, "We say that Portman regrets doing a nude scene in the movie Hotel Chevalier. This is wrong. When Portman writes about this in Parade, she does not mention a specific movie title. She tells us she was referring to a torture scene with a body double in Goya's Ghosts, which was taken out of context and leaked onto the Internet. Portman is very happy with Hotel Chevalier and proud of her work in the film." In her essay, Portman admits she is still rather upset about agreeing to do something she felt awkward about, writing, "I'm really sorry I didn't listen to my intuition. From now on, I'm going to trust my gut more."

Wouldn't some news like "Portman is happy about film where she appears nude" be far more interesting and sell a lot more that the one when she says she's sorry?
Si

Gold Trumpet

Again, Xixax is second fiddle. Facebook got this review first.

I think this film shows the inherent flaws with most of Wes Anderson's films. This is a short film about a small reunion between a former couple who relate over their past and talk about their changes. Anderson understands that short films need to imply the theme instead of define them. He does this when the couple go over their feelings and the talk begins to become questions about themselves and their past.

If Anderson was going to honor the relationship between the two sincerely, I would have recommended the movie. I just don't believe his interest is in them. The actors have lines and dialogue, but the camera work shows the real interest. Anderson shoots the actors, but has a style that is too driven by the flow of the music and too interested in the details behind them. It allows for badly timed pans and slow motion sequences to be everywhere. Anderson always makes blue prints of how to shoot his film beyond his actors because he believes the details behind them make up who they are.

Natalie Portman scanning over the different trinkets Schwartzman has collected is her seeing what he's been about since they were together. The fact that Anderson uses mis en scene to relate to the characters isn't bad, but he does it to such a posh and artificial stylization. People don't dress and talk like the ones who do in Hotel Chevalier. The whole short film is a dress up of an idea of cool. Anderson's version does come with some idea of self defeat, but it's a fashion version of humanity nonetheless. Hotel Chevalier is about the past and the purpose of experience when dealing with an old flame, but there is little to relate to. I believe most fans of Wes Anderson admire his films because they aren't accounts of their pain and personality, but nice done up versions of it that look good for public display.

A lot of what Anderson does isn't new or innovative in any sense. It goes back to methods of other filmmakers, but his work is innovative in the sense that he does represent whatever look or motif is considered cutting edge. It's all a fashion statement that has a short shelf life.

I'm seeing Darjeeling Limited on Wednesday so I wonder if that experience will change this one.

foray

I believe most fans of Wes Anderson admire his films because they aren't accounts of their pain and personality, but nice done up versions of it that look good for public display.

Agreed.

foray
touch me i'm sick

cinemanarchist

I believe the HOTEL CHEVALIER script is located in this new issue.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

Mesh

Why this thing is even a "short film" to begin with is beyond me. It's essential to a full appreciation of Darjeeling and should've been treated as a prologue, screened before Darjeeling in every instance.  You guys are really bad at discussing Wes Anderson.

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: Mesh on January 11, 2008, 05:15:11 PM
Why this thing is even a "short film" to begin with is beyond me. It's essential to a full appreciation of Darjeeling and should've been treated as a prologue, screened before Darjeeling in every instance.  You guys are really bad at discussing Wes Anderson.

Yeah, I'm sure you know more about Wes Anderson than any of us do here. Oh, and also like him a whole lot more. You're the #1 fan.

hedwig

Quote from: Mesh on January 11, 2008, 05:15:11 PM
you just said the most obvious thing that can be said about hotel chevalier. it's a piece of the darjeeling story, no shit.

also it was screened before darjeeling in plenty of theatres. you're really bad at discussing wes anderson.

polkablues

Marquee that:
"XIXAX.COM -- Really bad at discussing Wes Anderson"
My house, my rules, my coffee