Tarantino and Godard

Started by luctruff, October 10, 2003, 04:41:15 AM

godardian

Quote from: prophetlimp dick limp work?
:?:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

prophet

We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

godardian

Quote from: prophethttp://www.zdf.de/ZDFde/mediathek/0,1903,VI-2038752,00.html

FF to the end

Ah yes... this reminds me of why, my healthy admiration for his fimmaking abilities aside, I could stand to never hear Quentin Tarantino speaking "in person" again.

He and Oliver Stone should start a Crackpot Director's Club, where they can gather around a shrine to Sam Fuller and talk out of their asses. Maybe get it out of their system and spare us...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Godard Slams Tarantino

Legendary director Jean-Luc Godard has hit out at Quentin Tarantino - one of his biggest admirers - for using the title of one of his 1960s films without financially rewarding him. Maverick film-maker Tarantino took the name Band A Parte (Band Of Outsiders) from the New Wave icon's 1964 movie and used it as the name for his production company. But Breathless filmmaker Godard, 74, is less than impressed by the Pulp Fiction director's intended flattery. He says, "Tarantino named his production company after one of my films. He would have done better to give me some money."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cowboykurtis

its sad when your hero hates you
...your excuses are your own...

Raikus

It's sad when your hero wants to borrow money.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: soixanteIn Band of Outsiders, the characters break into an impromptu dance routine at a cafe, and perhaps that influenced Tarantino to stage the Travolta-Uma dance at Jack Rabbit Slim's.

I was thinking about this the other day - I am positive (thought can not prove) that the dancing sequence at Jack Rabbit's was taken from the scene in 81/2 at the Spa, where Marcello's older friend is dancing with his young lover with the dark black hair  (looks strikingly similar to uma thurman hair).

The dance moves, the camera angles - tit for tat as far as I'm concerned.
...your excuses are your own...

tpfkabi

i believe somewhere on the Reservoir Dogs DVD Tarantino says he doesn't really care much for Godard anymore.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Pubrick

Quote from: bigideasi believe somewhere on the Reservoir Dogs DVD Tarantino says he doesn't really care much for Godard anymore.
so he has some sense afterall..
under the paving stones.

nix

I respect and admire Godard but fuck, can't you just be flattered that someone once loved you enough to name his proco after you?

I hope that if I ever become a successful filmmaker, I don't transform into an egocentric prick.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

soixante

Godard should get money from Alphaville Productions, the folks who brought you Dazed and Confused.
Music is your best entertainment value.