City of God

Started by budgie, January 09, 2003, 01:43:15 PM

godardian

Quote from: Onomatopoeia
Quote from: Pedro the Wombathow're you kids seeing this thing?
It's back in theatres now.  It's playing at my local arthouse, and I imagine that's the case in a lot of places.  I've seen a couple commercials for it, too.

Yeah, I was hoping to see it yesterday, but now my plan is Thursday night.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pubrick

dvd
under the paving stones.

phil marlowe

Quote from: P
dvd
overnetahaaaahaahaha

cine

Well folks. I have finally since City of God.

And it lived up to its hype. And then some.

A classic that is truly a Brazilian GoodFellas.

Best movie of the year.

I'm glad you liked it , Cinephile.  
On a similar note, I saw 24 Hour Party People today.  Good, Good.
context, context, context.

MacGuffin

Rachel Weisz Wife to a Constant Gardener
Source: Variety

Variety reports that Rachel Weisz has landed the female lead opposite Ralph Fiennes in The Constant Gardener, an adaptation of the John le Carre novel for Focus Features. Oscar-nominated helmer Fernando Meirelles (City of God) directs, with shooting to begin in May.

Weisz will play the feisty wife to Fiennes' complacent British diplomat. While he seems most interested in tending his garden in Nairobi, she uses her law degree to expose a scandal in which a drug company is testing a dangerous tuberculosis remedy on a group of poor Africans. When her battered body is discovered in the jungle, her husband is driven to discover her killer and uncover possible collusion between politicians and a pharmaceutical giant.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: MacGuffinRachel Weisz Wife to a Constant Gardener
Source: Variety

What happened to his project dealing with the differences between the northern and southern hemispheres? This project sounds too ordinary for his talent.

ono

Seen it yet, godardian?

Chest Rockwell

Just saw it tonight, and it was amazing! It was simply beautiful.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Chest Rockwell

I also wasn't part of some gay friendship group on Xixax  :wink:

godardian

Quote from: Chest RockwellI also wasn't part of some gay friendship group on Xixax  :wink:

:?:  Tell me where such a thing exists, and I'll sign up for it!

I did see it on Thursday eve, Ono. I really, really liked it. I was worried that it would be full of gimmicky music-video type stuff, but there was just a tiny dash of that toward the beginning. It would definitely be on my top 10. I didn't loooooove it as much as some, but it was very energetic and well-made and entertaining. It maybe wasn't quite as world-shatteringly relevant or substantive as I might've expected from its acclaim here, but it's not fair to the movie to judge it that way- it definitely succeeded, and then some, on its own terms.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

macguffin?  

(anyone else here STILL not seen it yet?)
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pedro