R.E.M.

Started by Pas, September 11, 2003, 07:56:31 PM

godardian

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWhat about Out of Time?

Pros: "Country Feedback" and "Texarkana," two of my very faves.

But Automatic doesn't have an albatross-track like "Shiny Happy People" to mar it...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Find Your Magali

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWhat about Out of Time?

Pros: "Country Feedback" and "Texarkana," two of my very faves.

But Automatic doesn't have an albatross-track like "Shiny Happy People" to mar it...

I like "Half a World Away" and "Low," also.

In addition to the aforementioned albatross, "Radio Song," is a not-so-novel relic that really dates the album.

RegularKarate

"Up" was shite... it was the band at a loss... "We don't have a drummer, we need a new one" - "I don't want a new one, I want our old one" - "Let's use a drum machine"

Automatic for the People is a fine album, but I don't understand how it can be held over Document and New Adventures in HiFI

pookiethecat

Quote"Up" was shite... it was the band at a loss... "We don't have a drummer, we need a new one" - "I don't want a new one, I want our old one" - "Let's use a drum machine"

what an ignorant, baseless comment.   i demand clarification.  what makes you think that.  can you support that statement whatsoever?
i wanna lick 'em.

Pas

pookiethecat

Quote from: Pas RapportI think he's right about that...

how?
i wanna lick 'em.

Mesh

Quote from: Pas Rapport

Ridiculous. REM is waaaayyyy UNDERrated.

No, they're not.  They're commonly regarded as in the absolute top tier of American bands of the last 20 years.  Top Five easily, maybe even Top Three.

Pas

Quote from: Mesh
Quote from: Pas Rapport

Ridiculous. REM is waaaayyyy UNDERrated.

No, they're not.  They're commonly regarded as in the absolute top tier of American bands of the last 20 years.  Top Five easily, maybe even Top Three.

The thing with "under" and "over" rated is that it all depends on where you are and who you hear. Remember when VH1 did their Top Songs of the past 25 years ? Eminem's Lose Yourself was number 4 god dammit. The best song of the PAST 25 YEARS was Smells Like Teen Spirit. REM was nowhere. Shit, that was the best exemple of misrating. Just thinking about that list makes me sick

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Find Your MagaliI like "Half a World Away" and "Low," also.

Yes! "Low" is one of my favorite REM songs...

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: pookiethecat"Up" 's vitality as an electronic-alt experiment was way underrated, especially given how much attention "Kid A" received despite its significant borrowing from this great masterpiece.

I kind of have to disagree with that. Okay, Kid A wasn't hurt by Thom's friendship with Michael Stipe (i.e. Everything In Its Right Place). But I don't think anything on Up approaches anything on Kid A, either in vitality or originality. There are some great sounds (some of them very original, if a little Beach Boys-ish), but that might be more of a credit to Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich. The lyrics are terrible though. Really, they are. Aren't they? Radiohead has great lyrics, and they don't shove them in your face like REM does with Up. Really, just jaw-droppingly tacky and stupid.

godardian

As long as Up has come up, something more interesting than Up:

"REM's Peter Buck is a confirmed fan. The last time I intereviewed Buck, he was far more interested in asking about the then-forthcoming Black Box Recorder album than he was talking about REM's Up LP." - From an article on Luke Haines in Word (UK), 06/2003.

http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1979&start=15

Also posted in "Now Playing."
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

mogwai

n.m.e.

HOT NEWS!

R.E.M. have unveiled the tracklisting for their eagerly awaited new album 'AROUND THE SUN'.

The follow-up to 2001's 'Reveal' is released on October 4. It's preceded by a single, 'Leaving New York', on September 27.

Among the tracks on the album is 'Final Straw', a version of which the band made available as a download on their official website last year.

The full tracklisting is:

'Leaving New York'
'Electron Blue'
'The Outsiders'
'Make It All OK'
'Final Straw'
'I Wanted To Be Wrong'
'Wanderlust'
'Boy In The Well'
'Aftermath'
'High Speed Train'
'The Worst Joke Over'
'The Ascent Of Man'
'Around The Sun'

As previously revealed, the band will be playing five shows with Bruce Springsteen and Bright Eyes as part of the 'Vote For Change' events aimed at sparking political change in the US around the time of the US Presidential elections. Those dates are followed by a tour of North America.

The full list of shows now reads as follows:

Philadelphia (October 1) (Vote For Change)
Cleveland (2) (Vote For Change)
Ann Arbor (3) (Vote For Change)
Minneapolis (5) (Vote For Change)
Orlando (8) (Vote For Change)
Los Angeles Greek Theatre (October 13)
Santa Barbara Bowl (14)
San Francisco Greek Amphitheatre (15)
Irvine Verizon Amphitheatre (16)
Saint Louis Fox Theatre (19)
Indianapolis Murat Theatre (20)
Nashville Ryman Auditorium (22)
Atlanta Gwinnett Arena (23)
Chicago Theatre (25/26)
Akron Thomas Performing Arts Hall (27)
Boston Fleet Center (29)
Atlantic City Borgata (30)
Washington DC Constitution Hall (November 1)
New York Madison Square Garden (4)
Uncasville Mohegan Sun Arena (5)
Pittsburgh Palumbo Center (7)
Toronto Hummingbird Center (9/10)
Ottawa Civic Centre (11)
Montreal Bell Centre (12)
Thunder Bay Fort Williams Gardens (14)
Winnipeg Centennial Concert Hall (15)
Calgary Saddledome (17)
Seattle McCaw Hall (19/20)
Vancouver Orpheum (21)
Salt Lake City E Center (26)
Denver Fillmore (27)

European dates are expected to be announced soon.

tpfkabi

I think Around the Sun is better than the rap it got when it came out. In anticipation of Accelerate I got it back out and was pleasantly surprised. I feel it's way too long, so while on my drive to work I came up with cutting three tracks (3/5/6) leaving a solid 10 track 42 min or so album. I can see why those 3 songs were on the album but a The Outsiders EP with some b-sides could have been a good place for those tracks. I've just been listening to those 10 in sequence, so possibly even a different order of those tracks could enhance it more.

Accelerate being constantly compared to their older material makes me want to get their back catalog. The oldest record I have is Automatic. I was always mixed on the 6 or so tracks pre-Automatic that I was familiar with, so I hadn't been interested enough to go back (or at least wanted to invest any money to do so). After listening to clips on Amazon, it seems I'm missing out on some great stuff.

I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Jeremy Blackman

Shouldn't we be talking about R.E.M.?

I'd like to reiterate my love for Out of Time. It was actually one of those formative albums I listened to growing up, so I am biased.

"Shiny Happy People" is ridiculous of course, and I even thought it was ridiculous back then, but musically, the songwriting is amazing. If a new band released a song like that, everyone would be going nuts.

My other favorites from the album:

- Endgame
- Low
- Half A World Away
- Texarkana
- 0:06–0:30 of Radio Song

I actually think "Losing My Religion" is overrated... never interested me much.

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 16, 2011, 01:37:03 AM
I actually think "Losing My Religion" is overrated... never interested me much.

no way. it's underrated, if anything.
under the paving stones.