Leave No Trace

Started by Sleepless, October 15, 2018, 09:07:30 AM

Sleepless

Will (Ben Foster) and his teenage daughter, Tom (Thomasin Harcourt McKenzie), have lived off the grid for years in the forests of Portland, Oregon. When their idyllic life is shattered, both are put into social services. After clashing with their new surroundings, Will and Tom set off on a harrowing journey back to their wild homeland.

Written (with Anne Rosellini) and directed by Debra Granik (Winter's Bone).

Heard a lot of great stuff about this one. If Rotten Tomatoes is your thing, it has 100% on there. I knew I'd like it from the trailer - which, don't let it put you off it does. The trailer paints the film as something more mainstream and conventional that it actually is. I thought the film actually had a sort of Hirokazu Kore-eda kind of quality about it. Very quiet, unrushed, nuanced, observational, but with some genuine emotional punches. This is my favorite of the year so far.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Shughes

Up there with the best of the year so far for me.

Jeremy Blackman

This was absolutely stunning. Reminded me so much of Room. Not so much in its subject matter, but in the way quiet moments are so loud, and in the way it pulls out that profound emotion from the soul of its characters. The most truthful 2018 movie that I've seen so far.

(Don't watch the trailer btw.)

wilberfan

I just finished watching this beautiful film.  The young lead is absolutely amazing, and I don't think there's a false moment anywhere.  This is definitely one of my favorites of the year--far ahead of most (if not all) of the films being touted for awards.   [edit]  I will be angry if Thomasin Harcourt McKenzie doesn't get one (or more) acting nominations. 

Jeremy Blackman

Same. I started trying to find a place for it in my so-far best list, and it seemed absurd to put it below nearly anything else. Exactly how I felt about Room.