Joker (2019)

Started by Alethia, September 21, 2018, 08:42:57 PM

Alethia

My bread and butter through December. Think this is really going to turn out well.

Nails9

This all feels too on the nose *HONK HONK*

From the casting, to the influences it's been flapping up and down on it's dickie, I can only feel like I've seen it already.

Hide those cards Mr. Old-School-Hangover, Jokers should be wild.

yet I'd gladly eat those words like a peach for hours.
WKBB*I/S*NotTP*SSotCB*OS & r.i.p.b.m.

modage

If one has even a passing interest in superhero films and like, other films, I'm not sure how you wouldn't at least be curiously excited about this.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

I'd be more excited if someone other than Todd Phillips was directing.

Also hi mod!

Yes

Apparently this is a heavy Trump allegory with Thomas Wayne serving as a metaphor for the president. He's the mayor which incites protests and riots from the disenfranchised. Joaquin's Joker becomes an icon and mascot for the protests as he rallies against Wayne which leads him to cross paths with De Niro who must be some Alex Jones type media personality.

Sleepless

I'm fed up with all this Trump allegory bullshit in film and TV at the moment. What's the point? There's literally no subtext with Trump, so what's the point in rehashing it all when all everyone really wants is some escapism?

Quasi-related, perhaps the best metaphor for Trump and his election I've seen.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Alethia

Just watched the first De Niro shot go off without a hitch. 2 1/8 pages, all in long unbroken takes, two steadicams flying around as well as a centrally located 80s-era broadcast camera shooting De Niro dead on.

De Niro looks like De Niro. Joaquin is thin and creepy, on the verge of going Full-Tilt Freddie. The set is electric today. De Niro's presence changes things.

Fernando

Sorry if you already mentioned this in the chat box or somewhere else but, are you working on this? if so, what work are you doing there?

Alethia

I'm a production assistant, working technically out of the office, but I find myself on set frequently, especially during studio days. And being in my position makes that extra fun, because when I'm on-set I'm usually untethered to any direct responsibility, so I'm free to just kind of wander around and take whatever vantage point I please. Everyone knows me, so for the most part, they let me. It's good fun.

wilberfan

Sounds like a blast.  Has Marc Maron showed up to do his scenes yet?

Alethia

Yes, today was his first day! He didn't have much to do, but tomorrow he sure does. I'm oddly excited/nervous for him haha. (I've been a WTF devotee since it began, and imagining him grappling with the pressure of acting with De Niro and Joaquin in his lovably stressed mind has me smiling .)

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Alethia

Yep, studio's got security doing some hardcore vetting in the mailroom. Just attempting to get on with the day's work with a bizarre terroristic cloud hovering over us. Not weird at all.

Imagine the shit show this would be if it were a left-leaning nut targeting Republicans?

Sleepless

Crazy. Between this and the Joaquin incident, you might want to start keeping a journal of your experiences. Would be great fodder for your memoirs when you're a big-shot down the road.

Alethia

I think that might prove a very worthwhile idea! We have another 6 weeks, we'll see what's in store.

Also, just want to report that Maron is fucking killing it. I'm like oddly proud of him. There's a very interesting one-sided sense of intimacy that develops when you religiously listen to someone's podcast for the better part of a decade, it gets so you really feel like you know the person, like you've grown along with them -- and he being so effusively honest and all, I'm rooting for him like he's an old friend, but to him I'm a complete stranger.