Sufjan Stevens

Started by Pedro, June 01, 2004, 02:41:31 AM

Pedro

I've seen him mentioned here in Now Playing, but he doesn't have his own thread.  His music is consistantly brilliant and beautiful and kinda folky. He's moved me to write more of my own stuff.  Sometimes I'll listen to nothing but his records for days at a time.  It never gets old.

His most recent releases are

Greetings from Michigan! The Great Lakes State
and

Seven Swans

Michigan is one of a planned 50 albums.  Yes, one of each state.  It has some of his finest orchestrations complete with minimalist repetition, ala Philip Glass.  Seven Swans is a much more subdued release, with more banjo and traditional wooden instrumentation.  It also has a very strong Christian spiritual message.  That might turn some off but he makes the themes he adresses pretty universal.  I'm of no faith whatsoever, but "the transfiguration" still makes me smile.

as if the above ass kissing did not tell you, i really reccomend him to everyone here (ghostboy...) you can find it on soulseek if you dont want to buy it...you can get it from me.  my name's "Pedro the Wombat".

smash

Yeah, I've really enjoyed his past two releases.  I purchased Seven Swans on vinyl and it has made me happy.

I can't even fathom how he plans on actually following through with his 50 States project.  Sounds like just an overly ambitious idea to me, I highly doubt much of it will be done.

Pedro

Quote from: smash
I can't even fathom how he plans on actually following through with his 50 States project.  Sounds like just an overly ambitious idea to me, I highly doubt much of it will be done.
you're probably right...he has written a song called "chicago" for the illinois album, though

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: Reinhold Messneri'm in love.

Me too. This guy is fantastic. When the link to the track from the Illinois album showed up I nearly, well, . . .creamed my pants.

squints

I read about him on pitchfork and after hearing the michigan cd i've been in love, reminds a bit of the microphones
good stuff
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

tpfkabi

I heard the Illinois tracks leaked a few weeks ago. A guy was offering it up, but it did me no good because it was the whole album and I have 56k. I just wondered if there is anywhere i might could find it one track at a time. I don't think the album is supposed to come out until July.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

deathnotronic

I'm hearing Vermont is after Illinois.

I love Sufjan Stevens. A lot. I've seen him live like 3 times?

GoneSavage

Will he do the impossible and make me miss living in Illinois?  Doubtful but I'm excited about the new album.

Brazoliange

Illinois,

is AMAZING.

www.torrentspy.com

if you have BitComet, you can use it to choose to only download one song at a time.

you'll need to go to the tracker's website, register, and download it from there though.
Long live the New Flesh

tpfkabi

i just found out the other day that if you order it through Asthmatic Kitty, they will ship orders out a month before it goes to stores, and it's only $10. i'll just wait and go that route.

Sleuth

Quote from: bigideasi just found out the other day that if you order it through Asthmatic Kitty, they will ship orders out a month before it goes to stores, and it's only $10. i'll just wait and go that route.

"We would like to inform you that your order has been shipped."

:yabbse-grin:
I like to hug dogs

modage

Quote from: bigideasI just wondered if there is anywhere i might could find it one track at a time.
if you, or anyone else is interested you can download two tracks off amazon.com Casimir Pulaski Day and The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

wow, this is an epic album.
the first two songs i want to listen to are John Wayne Gacy, Jr. and Jackson. i haven't had enough time to wrap my head around the album yet (it's pretty long), but you can tell a lot went into the mixing. i love how he records his albums. he leaves it pretty natural without many effects. it's also amazing how everything has so much clarity when he stacks up the voices and instruments.

GoneSavage

Quote from: bigideasi just found out the other day that if you order it through Asthmatic Kitty, they will ship orders out a month before it goes to stores, and it's only $10. i'll just wait and go that route.
No kidding?  I'm glad I don't have to wait.  Thanks for the tip, I'm greatly anticipating hearing this.