favorite eddie murphy moment?

Started by pete, August 27, 2003, 03:11:36 PM

pete

for me, it's when he impersonates his dad on Delirious.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SoNowThen

that's a close second for me.

it's probably a tie between anything gumby, buckwheat, or mr robinson
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Find Your Magali

In "Raw," when he's talking about divorce and utters the word: "HALF?!?!?!"

Fame

His performance in Bowfinger was just the icing on a very tastey cake.  I also really enjoy all of his SNL skits.

Oh, and from Coming to America, when he yells "Fuck you all!"  out the window in a loud, happy voice.  Classic.

SoNowThen

Quote from: gwaighostbusters

You were gonna credit Ernie Hudson's role to Eddie, weren't you? Poor Ernie, guy gets so little recognition, now they're taking away old roles from him that he already did!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

For movies, I liked him in Bowfinger the most. TV, I'd say Mr. Robinson (X-CON) for sure.

cine

Do you know why he turned it down? Because SNL alumni Aykroyd and Murray were starring in it too.. not sure if that had something to do with it.

MacGuffin

Quote from: CinephileDo you know why he turned it down? Because SNL alumni Aykroyd and Murray were starring in it too.. not sure if that had something to do with it.

I think it was a matter of Murphy wanting to do starring roles at that point, thus "Best Defense" and "Beverly Hills Cop" that same year.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Ah, figured that had something to do with it. The man was/is so bloody cocky.. but he could certainly back it up.

Anachronism

The slow-mo re-enactment of Buckwheat being assasinated.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

the greatest stand up comic to ever live

and he just kinda went off the deep end, but on talk shows you see that glimmer of greatness

jokerspath

I enjoy
-his rendition of Roxanne
-when he's playing Mr. Robinson or whatever, and someone knocks at the door, and his screamed response
-that laugh...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

MacGuffin

Incredible Shrinking Man Starts Shooting in March
Source: Sci Fi Wire

Brian Grazer, producer of an update of the classic SF movie The Incredible Shrinking Man, told SCI FI Wire that the film begins shooting in March, with Eddie Murphy as the title character. The film has been long in development, but Grazer credits writers Ben Garant and Tom Lennon with bringing the final touch that made the script ready to shoot.

"[They] had a genius idea as to what the occupation of the guy should be," Grazer said in an interview. "He's going to be a Las Vegas magician. It's so great, because what happens is he's that bigger-than-life [persona]. It's Eddie with an attitude. It's not happy Eddie. It's Eddie with his edgy attitude being like David Copperfield or David Blaine. ... But he's somehow been relegated to do the day show, like babysitting kids. And he's pissed."

When Murphy's character begins shrinking, "the audience believed that that was part of the show," Grazer said. "So you get to have a reality where everyone's going, 'He shrunk himself, screw him. You're on Leno? Bullsh-t. You shrunk yourself. You're promoting yourself.' And he's going, 'Get me out of here.'" The Incredible Shrinking Man is slated for release in 2005.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

looks like another hit for eddie.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Finn

I absolutely adored the Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood skit with Murphy. Hysterical!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."