Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements

Started by wilder, November 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

wilder

August 22, 2017

William A. Wellman's Beggars of Life (1928) on blu-ray from Kino, from a new 2K restoration

After killing her treacherous step-father, Nancy tries to escape the country with Jim, a young vagabond. She dresses as a boy, they hop freight trains, quarrel with a group of hobos, and steal a car in their attempt to escape the police, and reach Canada.

Beggars of Life (1928) - Amazon

jenkins

wilder

August 15, 2017

Sergio Leone's The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966) on blu-ray from Kino, from a new 4K transfer

By far the most ambitious, unflinchingly graphic and stylistically influential western ever mounted, The Good The Bad And The Ugly is an engrossing action shot through with a volatile mix of myth and realism. Clint Eastwood returns as the "Man With No Name," this time teaming with two gunslingers to pursue a cache of $20,000-and letting no one, not even warring factions in a civil war, stand in their way.

From sun-drenched panoramas to bold hard close-ups, exceptional camera work captures the beauty and cruelty of the barren landscape and the hardened characters who stride unwaveringly through it. Forging a vibrant and yet detached style of action that had not been seen before, and has never been matched since, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly shatters the western mold in true Eastwood style.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (1966) - Amazon

wilder

Quote from: wilder on October 27, 2016, 11:42:09 PM
May 23, 2017

The Coen Bros. Barton Fink (1991) on blu-ray from Kino

Set in 1941, an intellectual New York playwright Barton Fink accepts an offer to write movie scripts in L.A. He finds himself with writer's block when required to do a B-movie script. His neighbor tries to help, but he continues to struggle as a bizarre sequence of events distracts him.

Barton Fink (1991) - Amazon

New release date - August 15, 2017

wilder

August 8, 2017

Marco Ferreri's The Flesh (1991) on blu-ray from Cult Epics, from a new restoration from the original 35mm elements

The Flesh a.k.a. La Carne is a romantic black comedy about a divorced piano player named Paolo (Sergio Castellitto) who meets and falls in love with a most beauteously busty woman (bombshell Francesca Dellera), who uses her special powers to turn the man into her slave. The film depicts the oftentimes torturous nature of desire and the power of women in a cinematic work where Francesca becomes a symbolic representation of male desire, with her voluptuous figure and sex appeal being intoxicating to Paolo. While he is completely taken by his desire for Francesca, she eventually gets bored with him and decides to leave. Unfortunately for Francesca, Paolo loves her and has no intention of allowing her to go.

The Flesh (1991) - Amazon

Available Now

Pim de la Parra's Obsessions (1969) on blu-ray from Cult Epics

The Obscure film OBSESSIONS (aka HOLE IN THE WALL) was directed by Dutch artsploitation auteur Pim de La Parra and co-produced by his longtime collaborator Wim Verstappen (Blue Movie). This gritty psychedelic Hitchcockian mystery, which is notable for being the first Dutch English-language film, starts in a savagely brutal fashion when a bloody painting of Vincent van Gogh falls from a wall and exposes a makeshift peephole that eventually leads to student protagonist Nils Janssen (Dieter Giessler) becoming an unwitting witness to a gruesome sex crime next door. When his young fiancée Marina (Alexandra Stewart of Truffaut's DAY FOR NIGHT), an enterprising journalist, tells him about a report of a murder that she is writing, he naturally wonders if one has to do with the other. This classic exploitation film was the birth of auteur cinema in Holland, and inspired filmmakers such as legendary Dutch filmmaker Paul Verhoeven to make films. Originally released in over 80 countries, the film stayed unreleased in the U.S. (and France) until now. Arguably most notably, the film was co-written by a-then-young Martin Scorsese. Scored by legendary Hitchcock composer Bernard Herrmann (who later scored TAXI DRIVER). Includes new HD Transfer and bonus features.

Obsesions (1969) - Amazon

NSFW

wilder

October 2017 TBD

Billy Wilder's Avanti! (1972) on blu-ray from Kino

A wealthy American discovers romance and the meaning of avanti while in Italy.

jenkins

wilder please update me about some of your recent most joyous region a blu-ray experiences

wilder

I haven't bought as many Region A titles recently but here are a few:

jenkins

oh yeah you reading my mind or what. thanks. you know who understands us? Matthew Lillard in Serial Mom. on or after July 11, when the sale begins, i'm going to buy Multiple Maniacs out of sheer necessity

wilder

September 18, 2017

Lubitsch in Berlin (1918-1921) on blu-ray from Masters of Cinema (UK)

Before he arrived in Hollywood to leave his indelible (and inimitable) mark on timeless comedies like Trouble in Paradise and The Shop Around the Corner, Ernst Lubitsch created an expansive body of work in Germany that proved to be as varied in its tone as it was sophisticated in its measure of man and woman. This set collects six recently restored works from the silent phase of Lubitsch's career, and casts new light on the director both as a fully-formed comic master, and as a virtuoso of cinematographic technique.

Lubitsch in Berlin - Amazon UK

August 29, 2017

Dick Maas' Amsterdamned (1988) on blu-ray from Blue Underground

A mysterious diver hiding in Amsterdam's canal system embarks on a rampage of gruesome murders, terrifying city officials and leaving few clues for the city's best detective, who doesn't suspect that both his new girlfriend and twelve-year-old daughter may be closer than he is to finding the killer.

Amsterdamned - Amazon

2017 TBD

Dick Maas' The Lift (1983) on blu-ray from Blue Underground

A lift begins displaying some erratic behavior, like trapping some party goers and nearly suffocating them, and decapitating a security guard. Felix, the technician from the lift company, can't find anything wrong with the circuitry. When he and a nosy reporter begin asking questions of the lift company's electronics partner (Rising Sun Electronics) his boss puts him on a leave of absence. A subsequent visit to a professor leads them to believe that some evil experiments are being conducted with MICROCHIPS.

wilder

Quote from: wilder on February 20, 2017, 04:39:28 PM
2017 TBD

Anthony Mann's T-Men (1947) on blu-ray from ClassicFlix

Dennis O'Brien is a treasury agent determined to bring a counterfeiting ring to justice. O'Brien and his partner Tony Genaro go undercover to gain the confidence of the ruthless Detroit mob responsible for the phony money.

wilder

Fall 2017 TBD

John Cromwell's Since You Went Away (1944) on blu-ray from Kino. Cinematography by Stanley Cortez (The Night of the Hunter)

With her husband Tim off at war, Anne Hilton (Colbert) struggles to be a pillar of strength for her daughters Jane (Jones) and Bridget (Temple). During America's darkest hours, she bravely steers her girls through heartbreak and hardships as she eagerly awaits news from overseas and wonders if life will ever be the same.

Fall 2017 TBD

Mario Bava's Kill, Baby... Kill! (1966) on blu-ray from Kino

Considered by many to be one of the Italian horror-meister Mario Bava's best, this occult murder mystery skillfully interweaves elements of the 'giallo' thriller formula with a creepy Gothic ghost story. Set in modern day Transylvania, an evil curse has fallen on the village which has been plagued by a series of bizarre murders, in which female victims keep turning up with gold coins embedded in their hearts. In order to free the village from this evil curse, the local sorceress (Fabienne Dali) must find and destroy the vengeful Baroness Graps (Gianni Vivaldi), who along with the ghost of her murdered daughter, seek to claim the villagers' souls in retribution.

September 11, 2017

Mario Bava's Kill, Baby... Kill! (1966) on blu-ray from Arrow UK

Kill, Baby... Kill! (1966) - Amazon UK

wilder

September 12, 2017

Steven Spielberg's E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982) on 4K Blu-ray/Blu-ray

wilder

October 23, 2017

John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) on limited edition blu-ray from Arrow UK, from a new 4K transfer from the original camera negative supervised by Carpenter and director of photography Dean Cundey, in both steelbook and box set versions.

The Thing (1982) Steelbook - Amazon UK

The Thing (1982) Box Set - Amazon UK

October 23/24, 2017

George A. Romero Between Night and Dawn (1971-1973) on limited edition blu-ray from Arrow UK and Arrow US

George Romero's name may be synonymous with the living dead subgenre, but his filmography is far richer and more varied than his reputation as "the zombie guy" would suggest. Following the breakout success of his debut feature Night of the Living Dead, the director would embark upon a series of projects which, whilst firmly rooted in the horror genre for the most part, demonstrate a master filmmaker with more than mere gut-munching on his mind.

In There's Always Vanilla, Romero's sophomore 1971 directorial effort, young drifter Chris and beautiful model Lynn embark upon a tumultuous relationship which seems doomed from the outset. 1972's Season of the Witch (originally filmed as Jack's Wife but released to theaters under the title of Hungry Wives) follows the exploits of Joan Mitchell – a housewife whose dissatisfaction with her humdrum life leads to an unhealthy interest in the occult. Lastly, 1973's The Crazies, which sees Romero returning to more "straight" horror territory, has a small rural town finding itself in the grip of an infection which send its hosts into a violent, homicidal frenzy.

Taken together, these three early works, made in the period between Romero's celebrated living dead outings Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead, serve to display the broader thematic concerns and auteurist leanings of a skilled craftsman too often pigeonholed within the genre.

Contains:

-There's Always Vanilla (1971) from a new 2K restoration from the original negative
-Season of the Witch (1972) from a new 4K restoration from original film elements
-The Crazies (1973) from a new 4K restoration from original film elements

George A. Romero Between Night and Dawn - Amazon UK

George A. Romero Between Night and Dawn - Amazon

jenkins

i was like in this mood and i googled "black and white cartoons blu-ray" because that was my green light then, and long story short i landed at thunderbean.

first i ordered

and that's because Fleischer's Popeye started me on this btw. but so, this 1930s cartoon is amazing to me

QuoteWillie is a young lad who tells of his many outlandish adventures, which are then depicted on-screen. His fantastic accounts are in fact, outright lies, or "whoppers". His stories are usually preceded by his memorable catchphrase, "Say, did I ever tell ya this one?"

they were beginning to imagine cartoons and they were trying to figure out how to do it. they were like "let's have the kid imagine" and it works awesomely. so, sound is around, but barely anyone talks for some reason. everyone moves in that jumpy jazz way, like in Popeye, and it's more that things happen than people say things

i haven't opened it yet because i'm so excited

but i opened Willie Whopper, who slays. Willie Whopper made me feel so excited that i've already ordered two more.

honestly i'd been wanting to watch holiday themed cartoons anyway, because of Nicktoons. i'd been thinking about this kind of thing so boom click order fuck yeah

are you familiar with Snafu through your Looney Tunes discs? this is early people who went on to do that, e.g. Chuck Jones. do you have Looney Tunes discs? can i borrow them? Snafu trips me out in particular because of its writing by Dr. Seuss. voice by Mel Blanc

just further establishing myself as a guy into cartoons. Ricky and Morty season 3 and BoJack Horseman season 4, hell yeah, i can't wait to catch up with those shows one day