i like portishead...

i like to know if you like them also..

Sleuth

I like Portishead

Dummy is better than S/T

I wish their new CD would come out already
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

My brother turned me on to them. He would always play their CDs.

Quote from: tremoloslothI wish their new CD would come out already

Beth just came out with a solo album that's along the same sound, maybe that can hold you over:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffinMy brother turned me on to them. He would always play their CDs.

Quote from: tremoloslothI wish their new CD would come out already

Beth just came out with a solo album that's along the same sound, maybe that can hold you over:

I can vouch that parts of this album are absolutely lovely. I think "along" the same sound is key... there are very few beats, here, if I recall... much calmer sonically, with the voice more the centerpiece.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

aclockworkjj

this girl I work with turned me on to them...I need to hear more, so keep the recommendations coming....

....but from what I have heard, I really like.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: aclockworkjjthis girl I work with turned me on to them...I need to hear more, so keep the recommendations coming....

....but from what I have heard, I really like.

Quote from: NEON MERCURY..i like the nyc live album..

Ghostboy

The NYC Live album is their best, I think. It's not the kind of music you'd expect to sound good live...but they top all their studio stuff, in my opinion. Although you can't go wrong with any of their albums. And since there are only three of them, you might as well get them all.

It's some of the sexiest music ever.

Vile5

Dummy is the only album i have from them and i really like it!!!!
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

phil marlowe

portishead si the shit. dummy is one of my all time faves. the self titled album is a masterpiece too.

but where is their new album at? doesn't anyone have any info.

MacGuffin

Quote from: phil marlowebut where is their new album at? doesn't anyone have any info.

All the news I've found is the same as it was from 2 years ago. It's in the works:

Trip-hop outfit Portishead head to Australia to record third album

Good news for Portishead fans who have been lamenting the fact that there hasn't been an offering from the pioneering purveyors of trip-hop in two years. Both programmer and founder Geoff Barrow and bassist Adrian Utely have confirmed that the band are about to head to Australia to begin recording their third album.

Barrow told the British press last spring that the band had planed to begin recording last summer, but Utley had teamed up with noted director Nicolas Roeg to provide the soundtrack for a silent film called The Sound of Claudia Schiffer, as part of an upcoming BBC series due to be screened later this year. He also submitted a track to American Psycho and scored both Accelerator (with David Holmes) and Signs & Wonders, a small French independent film directed by Jonathan Nossiter. But it looks like he's ready to put his film work on the shelf, and pack his bags for a trip down under.

Speaking to local Bristol-based Web-site bristolsound.co.uk, Utley revealed that he and Portishead chanteuse Beth Gibbons are about to fly off to join Barrow, who is already in Sydney, to begin recording their long-postponed album. The reason the band decided to go so far afield to record was cemented after Utely and Barrow traveled to Australia last March and became enamored of the place. "It's a really nice place," Utley told Bristolsound. "We decided to go back and record there because we don't need an expensive studio to work in. We've got a lot of equipment ourselves."

"Towards the end of touring last time we were all pretty fucked up and we'd had enough of Portishead," Utley confessed. "But it's going to be nice to start again. I'm looking forward to working with Geoff. We've done stuff together but we haven't really sat down and stared at each other for a while. We've got a few ideas, but we haven't got specific in anyway. We'll just see what happens."

The band has plans to release the disc by the end of the year -- which would be a record. The last album took them two years to record due to Barrow's exacting standards.

Rolling Stone (January 5, 2001)
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

phil marlowe

yeah this is all i've read too. i wen't on thinking a new album was just around the corner for a year or so and then i just lost faith in it.

Quote from: macguffinUtley had teamed up with noted director Nicolas Roeg to provide the soundtrack for a silent film called The Sound of Claudia Schiffer
this sounds fucking crazy.

MacGuffin

Quote from: phil marlowei wen't on thinking a new album was just around the corner for a year or so and then i just lost faith in it.

That's probably because there was that rumor about the "Alien" album that ended up being denied on their official site.

Skeleton FilmWorks

phil marlowe

Quote from: MacGuffinThat's probably because there was that rumor about the "Alien" album that ended up being denied on their official site.
oh yeah thats right. rumors like that are just evil.

Ghostboy

So...if it takes them about two years to record an album, even when they mean to do it more quickly, and those reports were from two years ago...then a new album should be coming soon! I knew I'd be able to apply those arithmetic skills at some point in my life.

rustinglass

out of season is a great album I used to listen to it all the time. It's where I took my xixax name out of
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica