BOTTOM TEN - 2003!!!!!

Started by MacGuffin, December 28, 2003, 11:09:58 PM

cine

Well I think they passed the "How To Be Hated By Xixax Members" test with flying colours.

oakmanc234

1) Dreamcatcher

Thats it. I dont like complaining about films cause I'm pretty much down with everything but this one was just....peeew. How come something as notorious as 'Battlefield Earth' can get hammered to the ground (when I didnt even think it was that bad) yet this one is left alone. This one deserves all the abuse it gets. A fuck-up on every level. Freeman's speech before the attack on the alien-things is one of my highlights for the 'What the fuck was anyone thinking while making this sheat' award of the year.

And I'm with Taz on 'Anger Management'. I really, really liked it. People go on like it was this MAJOR dissapointment but what did ya expect? It was funny and a much more quality Sandler comedy (compare it to 'Mr. Deeds' and you get my point). I only get dissapointed when thinking of other ways it coulda turned out but the end result is ace. 'Bruce Almighty' takes the title of dissapointing comedy for me
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

cine

I don't like Sandler films, but I will admit that Anger Management was better than most of his stuff.
This is why I was turned off by it though: One of the best Sandler films BUT one of the worst Nicholson films.
The cast was good though.

Finn

My Boss's Daughter, The Life of David Gale and Anger Management would be my bottom 3
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

godardian

Party Monster was easily the worst movie I saw this year. Secondhand Lions and In the Cut were up there, too.

I tend to just forget movies that are bad but not outrageously bad, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

this is a list of WORST, i could do a whole seperate list for Biggest Disappointments.

10. once upon a time in mexico
9. the matrix revolutions
8. daredevil
7. the singing detective
6. jeepers creepers 2
5. irreversible
4. spider
3. northfork
2. t3: rise of the machines
1. house of 1000 corpses
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage024. spider

Wow, really? What didn't you like about it? And, by the way, it was a 2002 release.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Film Student

Quote from: GhostboyI found something redeemable, no matter how minor, in just about every movie I saw this year, except for The Cat In The Hat. Beyond that, I don't really care to dwell on the negative.

THANK YOU ghostboy, my feelings exactly.  I enjoyed most every movie I saw on some base level, with the exception of "The Rundown", "Underworld", and "The In-Laws".  I hate to bask in the negative aspects of cinema; I just love movies as a whole way too much... I enjoyed Terminator 3, as well as Bad Boys 2.  I actually would defend the Hulk as being a damn good movie, and I admired the cinematography of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  I would even say I was pleasantly surprised by 2 fast 2 furious. Most of the time I try to avoid movies I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I will hate (Charlie's Angels, Cat in Hat, Honey, Radio)...
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: themodernage024. spider

Wow, really? What didn't you like about it? And, by the way, it was a 2002 release.

I absolutely loved Spider... maybe my favorite Cronenberg ever.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

samsong

Quote from: godardianI absolutely loved Spider... maybe my favorite Cronenberg ever.

agreed.

i successfully avoided many supposed terrible film which is probably why I think this year isn't as bad as most seem to think it is.  But Once Upon A Time in Mexico and The Last Samurai stand out as absolutely herrendous and inexcusable pieces of shit, mostly due to the potential they had, or they had it to me, at least.  I'm a fan of Rodriguez's other two films in the "trilogy" and The Last Samurai had promise minus the fact that Tom Cruise was in it.

Ravi

I hated Bringing Down the House.  Steve Martin is usually funny, but this movie was terrible.

modage

allow me to revise my list and remove Spider (since it was 2002), and replace it with probably (trying not to exaggerate) the worst movie i've ever seen in my entire life Gerry.

10. once upon a time in mexico
9. the matrix revolutions
8. daredevil
7. the singing detective
6. jeepers creepers 2
5. irreversible
4. northfork
3. t3: rise of the machines
2. house of 1000 corpses
1. gerry

what a piece of shit. i dont even know where to begin.  first of all, the only reason anyone is sitting through this 100 minutes of garbage in the first place is that its Gus Van Sant and has 'real stars' in it.  if this exact EXACT same movie were made by some kid in college and starred his two buddies.  not only would no one be talking about how good it was, but no one would be able to sit through it EVER.  no studio would look at it and agree to put it out, no one would give them another job to ever work again after watching it.  it was terrible.  

i was prepared for a movie with no story about two guys wandering around talking about nothing.  i was not prepared for unbroken shots that went on for 10 minutes and more that contained no talking or a still camera.  if i want to look at a photograph ill do that.  when i want to watch a movie, you better fucking have somebody talking or move the camera or SOMETHING.  tell me a fucking story already!??  i dont want to watch somebodys art project, i want to see a movie.  

this is an example of the absolute worst 'independent film' has to offer.  a fucking bullshit 'art' movie with two assholes wandering around the desert.  how so many of you were tricked into thinking that this was in any way 'good' i have no idea.  who are you kidding?! this thing blew the hardest of any movie ever.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

i wasn't "tricked" into anything. gee, another ad campaign gone awry modage?

i think it's top 5 movie of the year. i'd gladly watch it again a hundred more times.
under the paving stones.

modage

Quote from: Pi wasn't "tricked" into anything. gee, another ad campaign gone awry modage?

i think it's top 5 movie of the year. i'd gladly watch it again a hundred more times.

what was good about it?  i cant find one thing other than the pretty looking shots that lasted an hour.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.