Your Biggest Disappointments of 2004 - A LIST Thread

Started by modage, January 07, 2005, 04:07:13 PM

Finn

This wasn't a very good year for movies. There were a few great ones, some really good ones, but disappointing overall. I was disappointed by:

Alexander
Meet the Fockers
Ocean's Twelve
The Aviator (very good movie but not as artistic as I thought it would be, particularly coming from Scorsese)
Danny Deckchair
Birth
Collateral (good movie but not near what it could've been)
The Terminal (so much in the movie worked and so much didn't)
Baadasssss! (decent movie over-rated by the critics)
We Don't Live Here Anymore
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

abuck1220

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: abuck1220i just watched the manchurian candidate tonight, and boy, was it shitty. not that i had real high hopes for it, but geez.
then it doesnt belong in this thread.  in order for something to be disappointing you must have had expectations for it in the first place.  it could go here...

http://www.xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=1286

i did have expectations for it. while i didn't expect greatness, i thought it would be watchable, given the people involved. so when it turned out to be at the top of my 'worst of 2004 list' i was disappointed.

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

pete

I just saw Tarnation and now it's my most recent addition.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gamblour.

Quote from: Small Town LonerThis wasn't a very good year for movies. There were a few great ones, some really good ones, but disappointing overall.

No way, I think this year was really great.
WWPTAD?

SiliasRuby

The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

life_boy

Quote from: Small Town LonerThis wasn't a very good year for movies. There were a few great ones, some really good ones, but disappointing overall.

Quote from: Gamblor not so gone.No way, I think this year was really great.

Feels like every year to me.

I Don't Believe in Beatles

The Life Aquatic and The Ladykillers.  

Bourne Supremacy too, I guess.  I never saw the first one though, and I walked in ten minutes late so I had no idea what the hell was going on for most of it.  I can remember laughing a lot and getting a lot of stares and looks like "SHUT UP OR I'LL KNOCK YOU OUT".
"A film is - or should be - more like music than like fiction. It should be a progression of moods and feelings. The theme, what's behind the emotion, the meaning, all that comes later." --Stanley Kubrick

kassius

Well, they played The Shins on an episode of "Scrubs" over two years ago, which is how I found about the band.  So, Braff didn't discover them; his show did.

For what it's worth, I just got done watching "Garden State" and I liked it. Sure, there wasn't much for me to fall in love with this year (it was rather week in my book) but I liked this movie.  Nothing amazing. Nothing outstanding, and after I just got done watching "Magnolia" for the 20th time, my expectations weren't high at all. :)

Quote from: Reformed Weirdo
Quote from: Gamblor not so gone.I forgot

Garden State
This movie was just a forum to play Braff's favorite songs and then release the soundtrack

Well for anyone who loves the soundtrack can just go to www.pitchforkmedia.com ...I mean they've been raving about the shins for a long time now. Braff was late...

Ravi

Garden State
Napoleon Dynamite
Ladykillers
I Heart Huckabees

life_boy

QuoteWhat are your Biggest Disappointments of 2004?

Every film released = Biggest disappointment ever.  Way overrated by the critics.  Made too much money in the theaters.  Too much fluff.  Didn't go far enough.  Could have been better.  Assholes like it for the wrong reasons.  Too long.  Too boring.  Too heavy-handed.  Too controlled.  Too deep.  Not my favorite film.  Lacked daring.  Lacked subtlty.  Way overhyped.  Too uneven.  Too fake.  Nothing new.  Will Smith = Fecal matter.  Too sketchy.  Good trailer, bad movie.  Not artistic enough.  Too artistic.  No depth.  Not as good as it could have been.  Nothing to write home about.

Worst.  Year.  Ever.

cine

Quote from: life_boy
QuoteWhat are your Biggest Disappointments of 2004?

Every film released = Biggest disappointment ever.  

Wow. Wanna do everyone a favour a list the films you saw this year?

Dtm115300

The Village was good up untile you find out what really is going on. At lest thats how i feel.

Alethia

no that's actually the best part because it's close to being over at that point.

grand theft sparrow

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie - my girlfriend dragged me to it; while I still regard the show as little more than a watered-down Ren & Stimpy, it's got its moments.  Moments that were completely missing from the movie.  Lucky for me, I love the sound of Scarlett Johansson's voice.

Sky Captain - while I have to admit I kind of enjoyed the movie, it was by no means a good one.  It was nice to look at and the story was charmingly retro but the acting was damned awful.

Hellboy - I don't know; maybe it was how I was feeling that day... I just wasn't blown away by it.  I liked it but I wouldn't cry if I never saw it again and wouldn't say that I'll be first in line for the sequel.  And it confirmed my suspicions that Selma Blair is, with the exception of Storytelling (and possibly A Dirty Shame), the most unemotional actress working today.

The Life Aquatic (let me explain!!!!) - only because I was expecting to like it more than Tenenbaums... still goes in my top 5 of the year.