The Aviator

Started by MacGuffin, January 20, 2003, 01:29:35 PM

Gold Trumpet

Wow, I've never seen a Scorsese picture plastered with so many stars from end to end. He must really wants a hit film. I think he is starting to become that genre filmmaker he's always talked about being some day. Expectations? Story with style of Goodfellas but focusing more on a personal tradegy.

~rougerum

Alethia

gwen stefani is hot.

Fernando

Cate Blanchett spoke a little about The Aviator in an interview made by Latinoreview about Veronica Guerin. Here's what they asked her.

What can you tell us about working with Martin Scorsese on The Aviator?

Cate: I've only just started. I did a couple of days last week. You won't be seeing my Hepburn impersonation. That's not my job. I spoke to Marty about it and it's an impossible task to play someone that is so iconic onscreen. You get as close as you can. Marty doesn't want some Pepsi-Cola cabaret performance of actors doing impressions. He's trying to capture the spirit of the time. You've got to adjust your performance to the tone of the film. The film is about Howard Hughes. It was a very private affair. Being an actor myself, who you are to the public onscreen bears very little resemblance to you private life. Who was the private Katherine Hepburn? That is the enigma.

How did you research her?

Cate: I read about a TV interview with Dick Cavett in 1973. Marty has an astonishing researcher that found the tape. I found it very influential. It's interesting because she wasn't sure she wanted to do the interview. She just came to test it out and they rolled the cameras for about twenty minutes until she was finally ready to do it. You saw the pre-interview where she was bossing everyone around, moving furniture, and getting comfortable. That was fascinating because it was her not being conscious of being a particular way.

Find Your Magali

Scorsese to take break from Aviator

Filmmaker Martin Scorsese will be taking a short break from filming his Howard Hughes story The Aviator to fly to London at the end of this month for the culmination of a long-in-the-works project.

He will oversee a televised jam session at the Abbey Road studio featuring 63 of the world's finest blues and rock musicians, including BB King, Eric Clapton, Van Morrison and The Rolling Stones.

It has taken Scorsese six years to bring the project to fruition and it will result in a documentary titled Feels Like Coming Home, he has told reporters.

"If I could have played the guitar I would never have become a filmmaker," said Scorsese, who will return to The Aviator location in Montreal immediately after the session.

The Aviator stars Leonardo DiCaprio as Hughes, Kate Beckinsale as Ava Gardner and Cate Blanchett as Katherine Hepburn.

SoNowThen

St Martin is not a man, but a god who walks among us.

I can't wait to see that jam!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

INTERVIEWS: Kate Beckinsale on Aviator

Underworld star Kate Beckinsale gave ComingSoon.net an update on the currently in production Aviator. Martin Scorsese directs the film about the story of aviation pioneer Howard Hughes, played by Leonardo DiCaprio.

Beckinsale portrays Ava Gardner, which was great for research but does put some pressure on her. "It gives you a lot of material, in terms of research, but it also gives you a terrible responsibility to an actual person that you really hope you can pull off. It's like doing a sort of action genre movie. There are so many people who are furious that I did not turn into a bat when I jumped out of the building. They get very passionate about that. God only knows what the Ava Gardner fans are going to say. I'm going to get stoned to death. And I bumped into Cate Blanchett - she is playing Katherine Hepburn in the movie. We were both saying, 'Oh my God, it's awful isn't it? Just wanting to do justice to this person that people feel very personally connected to.'"

What does she think so far about how DiCaprio is playing Hughes? "Great, I mean I think he is a genius. I think he is amazing. I've been doing a lot of scenes toward the end of the movie where he's really breaking down. He's extraordinary." Beckinsale added that the film doesn't expose anything really that wasn't known yet. "No, it's very much you see that he's asking her to marry him all the time. They are good friends. She is very supportive to him once he's sick. She tells him, 'You are a bit too crazy for me.'"

Asked where she's been filming the Warner Bros. biopic, she says that "the Montreal part is finished. I've got some more to do in L.A. in October."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

in the new People magazine, a few shots from the set of the aviator...

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Warner Bros. execs have halted filming on the new Leonardo DiCaprio-led Howard Hughes biopic "The Aviator" because of the massive wildfires rampaging through the greater Los Angeles area. It seems that several sets created for the film have been damaged by the blaze, fire which has already destroyed hundreds of homes throughout Southern California. An official spokesperson for the studio says "This is just a minor inconvenience, as compared to those who are currently suffering through the devastating effects of the fire". At present its not expected to cause much of a delay in terms of the film's production.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ShanghaiOrange

Quote from: MacGuffinnew Leonardo DiCaprio-led Howard Hughes biopic "The Aviator"

Who's directing this?
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Find Your Magali

Quote from: ShanghaiOrange
Quote from: MacGuffinnew Leonardo DiCaprio-led Howard Hughes biopic "The Aviator"

Who's directing this?

Brett Ratner

Alethia

Quote from: Find Your Magali

Who's directing this?

Brett Ratner

oh my god.....I CANT WAIT

ElPandaRoyal

Quote from: eward
Quote from: Find Your Magali

Who's directing this?

Brett Ratner

oh my god.....I CANT WAIT

He will win Best Director at the Academy Awards for this.
Si

MacGuffin

On set photos from filming on the Queen Mary:

Skeleton FilmWorks

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

phew....this one might offend....

Gwen Stefani.

Hot?

Gwen Stefani has no breastsOKAYBYE!