The Aviator

Started by MacGuffin, January 20, 2003, 01:29:35 PM

SoNowThen

Marty comes through again. Gets a great performance from Leo. Also, as usual with a Scorsese film, has the best soundtrack of the year. I love the fact that a big budget Hollywood movie ended on such a bleak note. I love all the frazzled faces of the people as they walk out of the theatre. Hahaha!

Anyway, maybe this one had a tiny bit less heart than your top-notch Marty pictures, but it had everything else I coulda asked for. Strangely enough, the PERFECT movie for the kinda Christmas I had...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

modage

saw this today and really liked it.  from everything i'd read i was expecting a less scorsese-y movie but in that way i was surprised at how much of a scorsese movie i thought it was.  i loved how the camera flashes seemed VIOLENT.  also SPOILER MINOR the plane crash was not 'fun' or handled lightly like it would've been in most films.  it was hardcore and looked SO painful, you really felt it.  great stuff END SPOILER  i also didnt realize that the movie got into any of his crazy long fingernail stuff, everything i'd read made it seem like they hinted at it only a bit but i thought they really got into it (especially the screening room).  my only complaint is that while i sympathized, i never really felt like i understood Hughes so it was like watching a biography, not letting you inside his motivations etc.  perhaps scorsese or anybody doesnt feel like they did know why so it wasnt important.  i did like how it only handled a portion of his life and didnt feel too biopic-y.  leo did a great job but towards the older hughes just didnt seem old enough.  i thought beckinsdale was fine.  the golf course was like fluorescent.  i want to see Hells Angels & the Outlaws now.  my theatre was also REALLY LOUD.

also: so many similarities to tucker: the man and his dream (with a dash of a beautiful mind).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

samsong

Quote from: themodernage02also: so many similarities to tucker: the man and his dream (with a dash of a beautiful mind).

leave...now.

modage

i dont think so.  explain how its not.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

samsong

you've overstayed your welcome once you've likened a ron howard film to that of scorsese's. i haven't seen tucker: THE MAN AND HIS DREAM and for all i know it's a great movie, but i'd like to think a film with that kind of subtitle is, once again, beneath scorsese.

now leave.

soixante

I think the point was that Tucker, Beautiful Mind and Aviator are films about misunderstood visionaries who pay an awful price for being so bloody brilliant.  I don't believe the point was equating Scorsese with Ron Howard.  

There is a critical theory that distinguishes the "what" from the "how."  Thin Red Line and Saving Private Ryan are both WWII films, and both feature amphibious landings.  But the similarities end there, as Malick's style is different from Spielberg's.  Both films are good, maybe even great -- but they reflect utterly different sensibilities.

Put it another way -- you have a bowl of fruit.  Picasso paints it one way, Cezanne another.  Same fruit, different paitings, different sensibilities.
Music is your best entertainment value.

samsong

this is modage we're talking about...

modage

Quote from: samsong
Quote from: themodernage02also: so many similarities to tucker: the man and his dream (with a dash of a beautiful mind).

leave...now.
first of all, you're not cinephile.  when he does it, its funny.
Quote from: samsongyou've overstayed your welcome once you've likened a ron howard film to that of scorsese's. i haven't seen tucker: THE MAN AND HIS DREAM and for all i know it's a great movie, but i'd like to think a film with that kind of subtitle is, once again, beneath scorsese.

now leave.
second of all, you're criticizing me for comparing this to a movie YOU'VE NEVER EVEN SEEN.  uhhh, you might want to rent it first.  coppola made it about ten years ago.  do you want to hear the plot synopsis?  The true story of a dreamer shortly after WWII who tries to invent a better car but is crushed by corporate a-holes.  does that sound anything like the movie you just saw?  naah, but you wouldnt want to actually watch it first though to know what you are talking about.  and its arguable how far beneath scorsese Francis Ford Coppola is.  i said a DASH of beautiful mind, i never said he was inspired by those films i was just noticing a similarity in the delusions and paranoia of the main character.  
Quote from: samsongthis is modage we're talking about...
i'm really not sure where this came from, but i already have a nemesis so you're going to have to find somebody else.

Finn

I thought this was a really strong and good film but not one of Scorsese's best. I think it doesn't quite reach greatness, but I admired the cast, the filmmaking and the special effects (particularly during that great crash scene).
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Alethia

scorsese's hollywood picture, while maybe just slightly empty compared to his other films, is still better than 7 out of 10 of the other hollywood pictures we get day in and day out.

the only scene that i remember as really just not liking, was the scene

SPOILERS

with the breasts and the mpaa and the meteorologist.

other than that, i really loved the film.

samsong

Quote from: ewardscorsese's hollywood picture, while maybe just slightly empty compared to his other films, is still better than 7 out of 10 of the other hollywood pictures we get day in and day out.

the only scene that i remember as really just not liking, was the scene

SPOILERS

with the breasts and the mpaa and the meteorologist.

other than that, i really loved the film.

i agree with every word you just said.

samsong

Quote from: themodernage02
Quote from: samsong

leave...now.
first of all, you're not cinephile.  when he does it, its funny.
Quote from: samsongyou've overstayed your welcome once you've likened a ron howard film to that of scorsese's. i haven't seen tucker: THE MAN AND HIS DREAM and for all i know it's a great movie, but i'd like to think a film with that kind of subtitle is, once again, beneath scorsese.

now leave.
second of all, you're criticizing me for comparing this to a movie YOU'VE NEVER EVEN SEEN.  uhhh, you might want to rent it first.  coppola made it about ten years ago.  do you want to hear the plot synopsis?  The true story of a dreamer shortly after WWII who tries to invent a better car but is crushed by corporate a-holes.  does that sound anything like the movie you just saw?  naah, but you wouldnt want to actually watch it first though to know what you are talking about.  and its arguable how far beneath scorsese Francis Ford Coppola is.  i said a DASH of beautiful mind, i never said he was inspired by those films i was just noticing a similarity in the delusions and paranoia of the main character.  
Quote from: samsongthis is modage we're talking about...
i'm really not sure where this came from, but i already have a nemesis so you're going to have to find somebody else.

To your first point... I wasn't trying to funny.

To your second point... touche, I can admit a defeat. But, my comment about Tucker being beneath Scorsese was strictly based on its horrible subtitle, not the content or its director.

To your third point... well now you have two.

Sleuth

So much rivalry here, it's like the Aviator
I like to hug dogs

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02coppola made it about ten years ago.  do you want to hear the plot synopsis?  The true story of a dreamer shortly after WWII who tries to invent a better car but is crushed by corporate a-holes.  does that sound anything like the movie you just saw?

I think you missed the obvious. In Coppola's film, he draws comparisons between the two men in a scene where Tucker actually meets with Hughes in the Spruce Goose hangar to discuss where to get metal to build the cars.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

For some reason, the grass and beet field were blue in the theater I saw this at. Anyone know why it would be missing the color yellow?
WWPTAD?