Noah

Started by MacGuffin, November 04, 2006, 01:13:15 AM

Kellen

You can check the leaked trailer out here

Lottery

Oh boy, it looks like that Steve Carrell film and Fuqua's King Arthur in one movie. Eh, I think I'll stick to Take Shelter.

I heard Aronofsky was fighting it out with Paramount about the film's content, the test crowd didn't think it adhered to Christian ideals well enough or something.

Pubrick

Quote from: Kellen on October 24, 2013, 01:28:35 AM
You can check the leaked trailer out here

this actually looks really good. kind of amazing even.

look at that shot where they're silhouetted, they're two dimensional giants in a monochromatic world in a sunrise/sunset state. wow. and it appears to be a key aesthetic motif. the expansion of dimensions taken to thematically consistent directions with the also recurring top-down shots. it's God, sure, whatever, but it's also the story of this dude who had a perspective greater than those around him. it's interesting then when Winstone challenges him with "i have men standing BEHIND me" (emphasis mine), as in that's all he can see. and then when crowe says i'm not alone, it's because he has access (delusional or otherwise, but coincidence makes believers of us all) to another dimension. Aronofsky is taking this story seriously AS A MYTH, and using it to create one of his own, the trailer is full of these indications.

so it seems a bit narrow minded to expect a really intelligent director to make a dumb movie. don't be one of those people. read the articles on the previous pages and see that he was given a LOT of creative control. but of course now that he's produced the real deal, something BIGGER than a mere bible story, that the studio is getting cold feet.. because america is fucking stupid. blame yourselves... especially if you really think this is just a "serious" version of a bruce almighty sequel.

my only problem, and this speaks to how the studio is handling its presentation.. what the hell is up with "the most remarkable event IN OUR HISTORY" (emphasis mine).. i understand that like any fictional story the characters themselves have to believe in their reality, and that they're playing this for quasi-real.. not FULLY real as aronofsky said in the articles previously posted, but are they actually trying to present this to us as LITERALLY real? like of our own universe?

that's completely insane and not what aronofsky was aiming for as far as i've understood. he's obviously a mother-loving jew, but he's no creationist. he knows this is just an interesting tale that gives the opportunity to tell an apocalypse and an origin story. how many apocalyptic films are so ambitious? they mostly just want to see things destroyed.

the end is nigh for cinema if movies like this get no support from film lovers while stinking turds like This Is The End are praised. (key difference and explanation.. because the latter is utterly meaningless to the point of idiotic).
under the paving stones.

Drenk

Ascension.

Garam

LOTR: Bible Edition.

Maybe just a shit trailer.

Pubrick

a great misreading is upon us.

maybe aronofsky will end up washed up when this is all done.

gone with the water, like costner.
under the paving stones.

Drenk

The trailer isn't good. Bad editing. You have great shots in the middle of a cheesy trailer. Anyway, either Aronofsky understands CGI or he doesn't.

And new (better) trailer:

Ascension.

Ravi

Quote from: Pubrick on October 24, 2013, 06:13:17 AM
this actually looks really good. kind of amazing even.

look at that shot where they're silhouetted, they're two dimensional giants in a monochromatic world in a sunrise/sunset state. wow. and it appears to be a key aesthetic motif. the expansion of dimensions taken to thematically consistent directions with the also recurring top-down shots. it's God, sure, whatever, but it's also the story of this dude who had a perspective greater than those around him.

I wonder if those shots are a reference to The Greatest Story Ever Told, which featured similar silhouetted shots. Kind of unusual for biblical epics back in the day, which tended not to look so dark.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Everything about that poster comes across like a parody.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Look at the horizon. If only they had straightened the camera, we'd see that he's awkwardly leaning to the right and about to tip over.

so lets go ahead and make the list:

dexter "the end begins"
brba "all bad things must come to an end"
this "the end of the world is just the beginning"

and this is just THIS YEAR

Drenk

Better than "the most remarkable event of our history" the tagline of the leaked trailer.  :bravo:
Ascension.

yeah that was just weird. theoretically, you could put that on any movie where something within might have possibly taken place.

diggler

That poster is so strange, why include the mountains in the distance?
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty