KEVIN WILLIAMSON

Started by finlayr, April 23, 2003, 07:25:37 PM

finlayr

Does anyone know what happened to Kevin Williamson?

I know he's written a script called CURSED that Wes Craven is directing.  It's a warewolf film and should be out in August...but really, after the success of the Scream films I think he should have gotten more work.  I was a huge fan of his for ages...then he disappeared and then my enthusiasm for his work kinda faded too.  Anyone have any comments?
Filmmaker

MacGuffin

Quote from: finlayrafter the success of the Scream films I think he should have gotten more work.

You mean more than The Faculty, Dawson's Creek, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Teaching Mrs. Tingle and two failed TV shows that I can't remember the names of?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Anyone ever watch Dawson's Creek, but instead of just watching the entire episode, tune into the first five minutes to see if Dawson is watching a movie so he can see the end of it and then speak of how great he thought it was in a passionate way that only spoke for the good values of the story instead of really the movie? Ah fuck, the show was da shit when it would do that. Identify my pure cockiness and undertsand the pure joy I had of seeing  a pretty boy trying to talk about movies but knowing nothing. Maybe thats why I can never turn the channel everytime I see Urban Legends 2: Final Cut on showtime. The screenwriter must have gotten a pat on the back from his former film school teacher when he put that Francois Truffaut quote in the movie but a middle finger from the teacher when he walked away for the result of writing that piss poor movie.

~rougerum

xerxes

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetAnyone ever watch Dawson's Creek, but instead of just watching the entire episode, tune into the first five minutes to see if Dawson is watching a movie so he can see the end of it and then speak of how great he thought it was in a passionate way that only spoke for the good values of the story instead of really the movie? Ah fuck, the show was da shit when it would do that. Identify my pure cockiness and undertsand the pure joy I had of seeing  a pretty boy trying to talk about movies but knowing nothing. Maybe thats why I can never turn the channel everytime I see Urban Legends 2: Final Cut on showtime. The screenwriter must have gotten a pat on the back from his former film school teacher when he put that Francois Truffaut quote in the movie but a middle finger from the teacher when he walked away for the result of writing that piss poor movie.

~rougerum

i'm sorry, what???

Gold Trumpet

just hotdogs and donuts, man.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

"English, Muthafucker! Do You Speak It?"

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

UNELLI

God, I love MacGuffs
this is T Bicks by the way
just cuz I'm an extra, don't mean I take any shit from PAs

MacGuffin

Wes Craven's Cursed Production Problems
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Director Wes Craven and screenwriter Kevin Williamson's Cursed, which Dimension Films still has set as a February 13 release, has hit some blocks in the road to completion.

The studio last month put the movie on an extended hiatus with four weeks left on the shooting schedule. The hiatus was reportedly planned and concerned the addition of special effects because the filmmakers brought in more special effects than originally planned as the film shot. Putting a film's shooting on hiatus is not an abnormal thing for a studio to do.

But it goes further than that. Apparently top executives at Miramax (Dimension's parent) weren't happy with the film's ending or how the special effects were progressing, specifically the look of the film's lead lupine. The project was then put back into a "development phase," during which all parties could agree on the final outcome.

The studio says that all the kinks have now been worked out on Cursed and a September restart is being eyed. It is unclear whether this might cause any problems with the availability of crew members or finding dates that would work for the film's ensemble cast, which includes Christina Ricci, Skeet Ulrich, Shannon Elizabeth, Omar Epps and Scott Foley.

Set in Los Angeles, the film puts a modern inventive twist on the classic werewolf tale.

Skeleton FilmWorks

finlayr

personally, i can't fucking wait.  the return of Craven and Williamson.  I wouldn't mind seeing Craven directing another Ehren Kruger script either! (Scr3am)
Filmmaker

MacGuffin

Wes Craven & Company Are Back: ''Cursed'' Will Re-Begin Filming

FilmJerk.com has learned that the troubled Dimension Films production "Cursed," which was put on hiatus in June after 11 weeks of shooting was completed, will begin a new spate of filming beginning November 17 in Los Angeles. Along with this news, we have learned they are also in the casting process for a new lead character for the film. According to earlier online reports, Dimension and its parent company Miramax were not pleased with the film's original ending or how the special effects were turning out, which led to the film being put on hiatus.

According to our sources, and backed up by casting documents we have obtained, producers are looking to cast a character named Jake, who is in listed as being in his mid-to-late 20s. Described as "the ultimate leading man of mystery, he is handsome, with deep, piercing eyes and a small town charm. But there is also a real sense of darkness that is simultaneously unreachable and irresistible. With a secret life and questionable motives, he is someone to be approached with caution." These casting notes are currently being circulated among actor's agents. This character name does not match any of the previously cast roles listed on the film's page on either IMDB or Greg's Previews.

Director/producer Wes Craven recently told Sci Fi Wire that many of the film's scenes will have to be reshot, as well as possibly recast, in the next phase of production, saying that "quite an extraordinary amount of new material is going to be shot, and a lot of material is going to be thrown away."

Listed on the casting documents as part of the film are only Christina Ricci, Jesse Eisenberg, Scott Foley and Shannon Elizabeth. While this doesn't mean that Skeet Ulrich and others have been cut from the film, it does confirm that these four actors are going to be a part of the new shoot.

Producers are also looking to land a name actress for the special cameo role of Zela, described as a free spirited fortuneteller on the Santa Monica Pier, who offers sound words of caution to those who have fallen under the cloud of a darker fate.

The film is now described as focusing on an estranged brother and sister, who are mourning the recent loss of their parents, struggling with daily life in the Los Angeles until a vicious animal attack changes everything one dark night. Now they must fight for survival against the one thing they never expected: the curse of the werewolf.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Banky

man i hope this turns out ok.  I really like Craven and Williamson and i think they should work more together.  Man i want a scream 4.

MacGuffin

Ricci: Cursed Like New

Christina Ricci, who stars in director Wes Craven's troubled werewolf movie Cursed, told SCI FI Wire that the film is being reshot as an entirely new movie after an 11-week hiatus to fix problems. "We're essentially reshooting the whole movie, so it's sort of like going on to another movie," Ricci said in an interview. "And this time it's a lot more fun. We have a lot more action, and it seems better."

Ricci added that Craven's spirits seem lifted by the new material. "I think he's happy, because I don't think he was happy with what he was originally getting," Ricci said. "I think he's glad that he has the chance to remake it."

One of the issues of the reshoots involved changing werewolf makeup. Ultimately, Ricci is confident that Cursed can be saved. "If you scrap an entire movie and shoot it all over again, rewrite the script, then yeah, it can be saved," she said.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FANGORIA caught up with actress Christina Ricci, who is currently in the midst of reshooting the troubled Dimension Films project CURSED, being directed by Wes Craven from a (rewritten) script by Kevin (SCREAM) Williamson.

"It just wasn't working," admits Ricci of the originally filmed version. "So luckily, they had the ability to go back and redo it. We're almost reshooting the entire film." The actress plays the lead character, whose profession is familiar to the always-working actress. "I play a publicist in LA who ends up in a car accident, and my little brother and I are attacked by a werewolf," Ricci says. "It's fine. All I do is walk around on the phone. [Real publicists] do other things, but this is a movie publicist!"

As for what was wrong with the film, Ricci deflects the question. "You know what, you'd have to ask the people who actually saw the movie." Meanwhile, there's still no word on what Dimension plans to do with THE GATHERING, the Ricci-starring supernatural thriller the company picked up over a year ago and is still gathering dust on its shelf.

Skeleton FilmWorks

TheVoiceOfNick

All of these articles are linked by a single word... "troubled"... it seems everyone turns out shit now and again... its nice to see they've been able to start fresh.  I was watching Good Day L.A. and it turns out that Jillian Barberie is having a cameo in the movie.... she said she's playing herself, but maybe she'll play the psychic on the pier.. i'd rather she not though...

nix

Loved Scream (I was 16)

Liked I know What You Did (saw it again recently and... not so much)

Really liked Scream 2 (still do)

Got hooked on Dawson's Creek (stopped watching after 2nd season)

Liked The Faculty (haven't seen it since 98, so I don't know if it would still hold up)

Was pretty dissapionted by Tingle (sooooo wanted it to be good)

Scream 3 was pretty weak.

Never saw either of his other two TV shows. Assume no one else did either since they both tanked.

Really, really, really really hope Cursed will be good.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Banky

Yeah the Faculty is one of the few good films to come from the Scream offsprings

Williamson actually had little to do with Scream 3, he gave another writer the outline becasue he was to busy to write the whole script