Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

modage

Quote from: Dtm115300I never saw Last House On The Left
is it worth renting?  Im in the mood for a horror movie that more creppy then bloody. But i don't know of anyone out that i haven't seen.
yeah its not creepy at all and it doesnt aim to be.  read my review a page or two back.  how about Suspiria?  or Dead of Night?  or as GB recommended, Repulsion?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Dtm115300I never saw Last House On The Left
is it worth renting?

i in the monority but i actaully liked it.  its nothign revelatory. just rent it w/ decent expectations.  someonementioned earlier that its a remake of an bergman film [or craven draws inspiration from it]..either way i would like to see [virgin spring] someday.  

spoiler::::::::::::::::::::::

i will say that the rape scen was very effetive [it ranks w/ irreversible] as most disturbing raping.  the worst part is the closeup of her face and sh*t and she starts to slobber and drool on the grass and leaves....its twisted......and i thought the music was phuckign cool.  its doesnt fit the vibe of the film..that song that goes "and road leaves to nowhere"....i like it...and it was neat to hear it again in cabin fever..........and the mom who gives a nasty blowjob  deserves some love. :yabbse-thumbup:

modage

and now for something completely different....  watched The Hunger today, which was sort of like if you took an art film about vampires and had it directed by tony scott.  pretty weird, huh?  it features Catherine Deneuve, David Bowie and Susan Sarandon and is most famous for its lesbian vampire scene.  it had some interesting ideas about aging and was a completely different sort of movie but didnt really explore the ideas as much as they could have.  i guess i would recommend this to someone who thought any of the above sounded cool or they dont usually like horror movies.  
Nosferatu the Vampyre, was my first Herzog film and while it wasnt bad it just wasnt my thing.  however, i dont know the first thing about german movies so all i could judge it on was the story of dracula which i've seen many times before.  this was very very slow, which i was fine with through the first 30 minutes, in anticipation of draculas first appearance hoping things would pick up a bit when he was introduced.  but they didnt, and the movie never really got out of first gear.  so, was this movie a disappointment for Herzog fans, or do they embrace the film as one of his good ones?  well, while it wasnt my speed, again perhaps this would be recommended to someone who usually doesnt care for horror movies as something out of the ordinary.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I saw this last night and it was awesome! Wow. Themodernage mentioned that it was similar to episodes of The Twilight Zone, and that's definitely so -- but it was also very 'artsy' in its execution, something I wasn't quite expecting. But then, somewhere on the Criterion Disc it is written that Herk Harvey wanted the film to have the look of Bergman and the feel of Coctoau, and I think he definitely pulled it off. The opening drag race reminded me of Monte Hellman's Two Lane Blacktop, and later I realized that this, like that film, was a B-movie saved from obscurity by incredibly strong auteuristic sensibilities.

MacGuffin

Paramount Molding 'Blob' Remake

Paramount Pictures, fast becoming the home of the remake with such recent pictures as "The Italian Job" "The Manchurian Candidate" and "The Stepford Wives" is resurrecting "The Blob"

Starring Steve McQueen, the 1958 campy cult classic followed a mysterious creature from another planet that resembled a giant blob of jelly and went on a path of destruction as it grew bigger. The movie was remade in 1988 with Chuck Russell at the helm.

The update will be produced for the studio by Jack Harris, who produced the original, and Scott Rudin.

Other remakes in the works at Paramount include "The Last Holiday" starring Queen Latifah, "A New Leaf" with director Barry Sonnenfeld and "The Naked Jungle" with director Jonathan Hensleigh.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Just Withnail

I think a remake thread is long overdue.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Withnail & GarfunkelI think a remake thread is long overdue.

You mean like a hodge-podge Grapevine thread, or this kind?
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=5872
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Withnail & GarfunkelI think a remake thread is long overdue.

You mean like a hodge-podge Grapevine thread, or this kind?
http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=5872
how about a hodgepodge grapevine kind?  i've been thinking about starting one for a while.  that way they are all given the initial disrespect of being posted about there first whether they end up being any good or not.

Just Withnail

Definitely hodge-podge Grapevine kind.

ono

This is your chance, modage!  Overcome that thread-starters phobia!  WE KNOW YOU CAN DO IT!

Pubrick

as sumone who suffers from a similar condition, i hav found a reason to not start a remake thread..

the remake stuff could easily go here: http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=402&start=135
under the paving stones.

modage

can it be the 'official' remake thread?

MacGuffin

Moritz, Col put new fear into 'Tingler'

Neal Moritz is set to bring back the 1959 horror classic "The Tingler" for Columbia Pictures. Greg Pace is set to write the feature.

The original movie starred Vincent Price as a scientist who discovers an organism that grows along a person's spine when that person enters a state of extreme fear. One way to defeat the creature is to scream.

The movie was directed and produced by noted horror master William Castle, who was known as much for his gimmicks as his movies. For "Tingler," Castle wired theater seats so that when a scream occurred during the movie, audiences felt a jolt.

The new version will follow a scientist who, in the search for a medical cure for fear, unleashes the Tingler, an entity that kills its victims with fear.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ultrahip

I recently saw Tod Browning's "Freaks."

WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!

MacGuffin

Brit Filmmaker Lights Way to 'Fog' Remake

British director Rupert Wainwright has signed on to direct the remake of John Carpenter's classic horror thriller "The Fog"

Wainwright, whose credits include the 1999 supernatural thriller "Stigmata," had been due to direct MGM's "Blood and Chocolate" but is now expected to leave that project.

"Fog" is set in a northern Californian town about 100 years ago where a ship sank under mysterious circumstances in a thick, eerie fog. The ghosts of the deceased mariners return from their watery graves to seek their revenge. Carpenter shot the original in 1980. The remake is set up at Sony-based Revolution Studios.

Skeleton FilmWorks