I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

jenkins

just to nerd chat: like the thunderbean guy the twilight time guy posts on a message board. he shared the sale data and a variable here is how many units they had to sell in the first place but here were the top sellers since the sale began:

Current Stock   Units Sold in 7 days      
MELVIN AND HOWARD (1980)   0   799      
LAWMAN (1971)   119   792      
BEDAZZLED (1967)   0   750   
BANDOLERO! (1968)   355   740      
THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN (1954)   335   737      
SUDDENLY, LAST SUMMER (1959)   225   641      
BEAT THE DEVIL (1953 / REGION A ONLY)   0   636      
BIRTH OF A NATION, THE (1915)   0   619   CHILDREN OF HUANG SHI, THE (2008)   355   612
THE CHASE (1966)   205   601      
A MAN CALLED PETER (1955)   395   561   
MORITURI (1965)   480   559      
BIG FIX, THE (1978)   550   540
QUILLER MEMORANDUM, THE (1966)   500   539      
SNAKE PIT, THE (1948)   510   537      
GARDEN OF EVIL (1954)   107   525      
TALL MEN, THE (1955)   570   522   
TALK RADIO (1988)   0   517      
WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING, THE (1935)   545   513      

wilberfan

Someone try and snag me a Melvin and Howard.  (He sold 800 copies of that in a week?!)

jenkins

wilder do you have any hard recs. i'm thinking Liquid Sky but that's an easy one. it's tough because all the covers seduce me so i'm like well

wilder

Quote from: jenkins on May 20, 2020, 02:47:59 PM

wilder do you have any hard recs. i'm thinking Liquid Sky but that's an easy one. it's tough because all the covers seduce me so i'm like well

These are so subjective and you've already honed in on the one that was made for you. Not sure how useful you'll find my map.

The Telephone Book (1971) is my bag, but it really depends on your sense of humor. It's got the animation angle you like, though.

A major, though forgotten, work from New York's underground film scene of the late 60s and early 70s, Nelson Lyon's The Telephone Book tells the story of Alice, a sex-obsessed hippie who falls in love with the world's greatest obscene phone caller and embarks on a quest to find him.

NSFW

If you want something exponentially darker (and hardcore), Roger Watkins' Corruption (1983)

This is a story about a businessman that "sells his soul" for power. However, he is betrayed by courier/associate and finds himself answering to his former employee. The businessman must then call upon his sleazy half-brother to help him set things right - or so he thinks.

There are a few good articles about it with screencaps, here:

-Three Rooms: The Art of Roger Watkins' Corruption (Part 1)

-Outside the Three Rooms: The Art of Roger Watkins' Corruption (Part 2)

-Descent into the Inferno: Roger Watkins' CORRUPTION

and some history on the filmmaker himself

-The strange and tragic career of director Roger Watkins - The Brag

In the Cold of Night (1990) is a really good time, and one I've mentioned in the Cult Cinema thread, before.

Scott is a fashion photographer concerned about the sudden appearance of nightmares in his nightly dreams. In these, he seems to be involved in the murder of a beautiful young woman. When he actually meets this dream woman in reality, he begins to suspect that something strange must be responsible. As he attempts to solve the enigma of his troubling dreams, he is falling deeply in love with the mysterious woman. In the end, he uncovers a diabolical and sinister plot....

I'm going to try to grab Spookies (1985) for its practical effects

Taking a wrong turn, travelers find themselves trapped in a mysterious house. One horror after another threatens them as the sorcerer who lives within needs sacrifices to give eternal life to his beautiful bride.

And may also go for Tammy and the T-Rex (1994) because they put it out in 4K which is completely insane and should be encouraged at all costs. A reg blu-ray is also available.

An evil scientist implants the brain of Michael, a murdered high school student, in an animatronic Tyrannosaurus. He escapes, wreaks vengeance on his high school tormentors and is reunited with his sweetheart Tammy. Together, the couple try to elude the mad scientist and the police and find a more appropriate vessel for Michael's brain.

jenkins

ask the right person, get the right answer <3

jenkins

consulting my collector buddies i passed off your recommendations like they were mine and the notable one i received from the outside (which they received from the outside, it's an established cult classic)

wilder

^ Investigated that and it looks fun, but it didn't make the order. These were among the last minute discoveries:

jenkins

nice. feels good

haven't ordered anything and i don't know if i will despite that being a good idea. there's this twilight shipping delay on top of orders being sent out of order situation that is distressing me. basically you wait to see if you're going to be disappointed or not. then i am finishing up hulu (watched all six napoleon dynamite cartoon episodes) plus i have things like Us and Snake Eyes sitting around waiting to be watched. and cabin fever is a likely subtopic. a traffic jam

the kind of thing you say on the internet and it's like what

jenkins

oh but yeah i ordered Patty Hearst and Putney Swope, the most obvious and available elsewhere, just because i you know i figured i better while i could

wilder

Like minds. I slipped Patty Hearst in there secretly. No restored trailer, yet. Don't know a ton about it. Excited. Scorsese's a G but Schrader's the one I wanna hold hands with.

jenkins

i know, i like him so much. he's my  Soderbergh basically. Patty was on the criterion channel in march but now it's not and i own the limited edition slipcase. my friend told me about slipcase covers being sold independently and we were cracking up

jenkins

at first i hadn't seen Corruption or In the Cold of the Night but then later i did so i ordered them and when you add to a previous order you get free shipping nice

i already own The Telephone Book

jenkins

then i was like well take a chance on one so i ordered Petey Wheatstraw, which narrowly beat Sex World

WorldForgot

Tammy and the T Rex Blu/DVD combo. Had to happen ~
Also got the Love Exposure Blu/DVD recently from Third Window.

Reel

I'm on the Patty/Putney train!!