On The Lot

Started by MacGuffin, April 05, 2006, 05:47:02 PM

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on December 29, 2006, 12:36:55 PM
The films premiere before three judges, and America votes for the best movie.
he doesn't want to find filmmakers, he wants to find ratners.
under the paving stones.

nix

Yeah. The American majority has proven its stupidity and bad taste on innumerable occasions, so if they have the final say this whole endeavor will be a waste.

I might still enter though.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

MacGuffin

On the Lot Premiering on May 22
Source: Fox

After receiving a record-setting 12,000 video submissions from aspiring filmmakers on thelot.com, Fox has officially entered the summer movie blockbuster race with the new filmmaking competition series "On the Lot" from Mark Burnett, Steven Spielberg and DreamWorks Television. "On the Lot" will now premiere with one-hour audition episodes: on Tuesday, May 22 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) following "American Idol" (8:00-9:00 PM, ET live/PT tape-delayed), and Thursday, May 24 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) following the third-season premiere of the hit series "So You Think You Can Dance" (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on Fox.

"Steven and I are enormously thrilled with the response weve had to the call for film submissions via our website thelot.com," said "On the Lot" creator and executive producer Mark Burnett. "This confirms our notion that there is an incredible amount of talented filmmakers in the world looking for their big breaks. We are very excited that our partners at Fox have scheduled the launch of this series with the powerhouse 'American Idol' finale and the premiere of 'So You Think You Can Dance.' Coming off of the success of 'Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?,' launching out of 'American Idol' is a terrific move."

A special two-hour Film Premiere episode, featuring the first films produced by the finalists, will air Monday, May 28 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on Fox. The initial group of finalists to be eliminated from the competition will be announced the following night on the expanded first Box Office results show Tuesday, May 29 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT). "On the Lot's" weekly Film Premiere episodes air in their regular time period beginning Monday, June 4 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT), and the weekly Box Office results shows will air on Tuesdays (8:00-8:30 PM ET/PT) starting Tuesday, June 5.

"On the Lot" affords aspiring filmmakers the opportunity of a lifetime: the chance to win a $1-million DreamWorks development deal. Each week, the hopeful filmmaker finalists will produce short films from a chosen genre, running the gamut from comedies to thrillers, personal dramas to romance, sci-fi to horror. They'll have access to the best resources the industry has to offer - professional writers, actors and crew - to help create their films.

After the teams have battled time frames, budgets and all the usual chaos that goes along with filmmaking, their films will debut and be critiqued in front of a live audience during the Film Premiere episodes.

But the filmmakers ultimately will be judged by the harshest critics of all the public. It will be America whose votes determine which films should be left on the cutting-room floor. On each Box Office results show, the director whose feature garners the fewest votes will be sent home.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Spielberg pulls 4 vets onto 'Lot'
Fisher, Ratner, Marshall, Avnet join panel
Source: Variety

Steven Spielberg and Mark Burnett have tapped several big-name film vets to help launch their upcoming Fox reality skein "On the Lot."

Carrie Fisher, Brett Ratner, Garry Marshall and Jon Avnet will serve as judges on the first round of "On the Lot," which debuts May 22 (behind the penultimate "American Idol"), and continues on May 24.

Show will start with a group of 50 applicants, who are sent to Los Angeles to attend a "Hollywood Boot Camp." They'll meet with the four judges and screen their personal submission film; as well as pitch their project; show and edit a short film within 24 hours; and then shoot a one-page scene within an hour.

The judges then will select the top 18 finalists, who will move on to the first "film premiere" episode May 28.

Fisher's credits, besides her role as Princess Leia in the original "Star Wars" trilogy, include the book and resulting screenplay "Postcards From the Edge." Ratner ("X-Men: The Last Stand") most recently helmed the upcoming "Rush Hour 3." Marshall's next film, "Georgia Rule," opens May 11. Avnet's upcoming projects include directing the thriller "88 Minutes," as well as cable mini "The Starter Wife."

Spielberg and Burnett created and exec produce "On the Lot," which is offering a $1 million DreamWorks development deal to its winner. Series comes from DreamWorks TV, Amblin TV and Mark Burnett Prods.; David Goffin also exec produces. Darryl Frank, Justin Falvey and Conrad Riggs are co-exec producers.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

©brad

Pozer

Quote from: Pubrick on December 29, 2006, 10:39:05 PM
he doesn't want to find filmmakers, he wants to find ratners.
:rofl:

Kal

The best would be if the show is live and at some point one of the contestants tell Ratner that he sucks... I mean who will take seriously what a judge like him would say?

Honestly the other judges are not so much better than him... and if Paula Abdul can be the queen of American Idol then this could work.

MacGuffin

The good news: It's more Project Runway than Apprentice or Project Greenlight.

The bad news: Some were actually excited to see Ratner and know that he watched their short film.

It's okay so far. I liked that they threw the contestants a curve and didn't start them off making films right away, but found out how good a storyteller they each are by making them pitch stories in the first round.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

i don't understand what's going on. a week ago i saw the episode that you're referring to (it's showing here for some reason!), where they had to pitch a film based on a few crappy premises. i thought that was one of the first episodes, if not the very first. then why tonite did i see 18 finalists with one-minute short films (NOT the ones they were making in groups), without ratner (director of Disturbia was in his place), and with america being asked to judge the best of the last 18 finalists???

did i miss an episode? the whole series?

very confused.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pubrick on May 29, 2007, 10:22:00 AMdid i miss an episode?

They had another episode on Thursday with the results of the group projects and weeded the field down to 18.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

two episodes a week! of course!

thanks mac.

ps. so.. why wasn't ratner in this one then? please tell me he got voted out. :hammer: :yabbse-smiley: :yabbse-smiley: :yabbse-smiley:
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pubrick on May 29, 2007, 10:55:09 AMps. so.. why wasn't ratner in this one then? please tell me he got voted out. :hammer: :yabbse-smiley: :yabbse-smiley: :yabbse-smiley:

They've been rotating filmmakers to whore plug their own films. William Friedkin (Bug) will be the judge for the horror section.

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Ratner was busy "consoling" the female directors who got voted out.

Just to creep you all the fuck out, here's a picture of Ratner "consoling" Salma Hayek:
My house, my rules, my coffee

modage

he looks like he's using her as a bullet shield.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.