First QT-experience?

Started by Spike, October 02, 2003, 03:16:31 PM

Cecil

Quote from: Derek237I still always think the camera's gonna move when Sam Jackson shoots the guy on the couch.

me too. i always liked that in the p&s version, before i knew about widescreen and all

ElPandaRoyal

QuoteDerek237 wrote:
I still always think the camera's gonna move when Sam Jackson shoots the guy on the couch.

me too. i always liked that in the p&s version, before i knew about widescreen and all

I hated the pan&scan version of Pulp Fiction and that scene is the perfect example of how much balls P&S sucks. I always felt that camera movement was weird and it was only untill I saw the widescreen version of it that I realized why I felt that. Damn Pan & Scan!!!!
Si

nix

pan and scan licks my balls.
"Sex relieves stress, love causes it."
-Woddy Allen

Chest Rockwell

Well I'm now 15, so I hopped onto the Tarantino wagon much later on. I was maybe 12 when I first saw it, on some movie channel. I fucking loved the shit out of it. About a year ago i decided to buy the SE and the Anniversary edition of RD (which I had not seen previously. I had heard of it many a time, so i figured it was worth the risk). Loved both yet again. I saw Kill Bill opening weekend and equally loved it. I think this weekend I'll buy Jackie Brown, which I still have yet to see.

Alethia

oooh, you are in for a treat my friend

soixante

In '92, I kept hearing all this hype about the "new Scorsese."  I was highly skeptical when I sat down in a Seattle theater to see Reservoir Dogs in fall of 1992.  I was won over immediately when Steve Buscemi mentioned "Heartbeat, It's a Lovebeat."  I hadn't thought about that song in 20 years.  I was blown away by the sheer audacity of the film.  Remember, during the early 90's, polticial correctness was spreading like a virus, and here was a film that flouted every rule that mainstream Hollywood held dear.  During the ear-cutting scene, a few people in the theater walked out.  I saw it a second time, and people walked out again during the same scene.

In '93, I hung out with a friend in the Bay Area, and we kept talking about how great Reservoir Dogs is.  We kept reciting great lines of dialogue, until we had virtually replayed the entire film.  So then we went to a video store and rented it.

Fall '93, I saw True Romance.  I wasn't a fan of Tony Scott, and even though Tarantino wrote it, I figured it would be ruined by Hollywood.  Wrong.  True Romance was just as audacious as Reservoir Dogs, in its own way.  I rented it a zillion times in 94, watched it over and over.

QT was batting two for two.

In '94, I was somewhat disappointed by Natural Born Killers, but I figured Oliver Stone completely revised QT's script.  But over time, I have come to prize this film almost as much as the others.

Later in '94, I saw Pulp Fiction.  Once again, expectations were high, what with the top prize in Cannes and all.  During the o.d. scene, when Travolta jabs the adrenaline needle into Thurman's heart, I expected folks to walk out in droves, just like the ear scene in Reservoir Dogs.  But then the unexpected happened -- people laughed.  The whole audience roared with laughter.  In that moment, I realized that cinema and popular culture had changed overnight.  What was fringe and cult in 1992 now became mainstream in 1994.  Like Easy Rider in its time, Pulp Fiction changed the world.

If QT had retired right then, his place in history would be assured.
Music is your best entertainment value.

Alethia

Quote from: soixanteIf QT had retired right then, his place in history would be assured.

did you not like jackie brown and/or kill bill?

cine

Quote from: eward
Quote from: soixanteIf QT had retired right then, his place in history would be assured.
did you not like jackie brown and/or kill bill?
No, I think what he means his that, as he said, Pulp Fiction left its mark on the world whereas his next two films, JB and KB didn't create the same boom that PF did. Still great movies but on the grander scale as his legacy goes, more people seem to think he went downhill after PF. Anyway, that's how I took what soixante said.

soixante

I felt Jackie Brown was a let-down, compared to Pulp Fiction.  I enjoyed the acting (especially Samuel L. Jackson), and I appreciated that QT was trying to do something different, but...the plot, featuring double-and-triple crossing, was simply not that interesting to me.  All the stuff with Bridget Fonda lounging around, the stuff in the shopping mall, the argument between Jackson and De Niro before De Niro gets shot -- it simply didn't play for me.  The best thing about it was the relationship between Robert Forster and Pam Grier, the feeling that they should have gotten together but didn't.  I saw it once when it came out, and once more on DVD, and it's never clicked for me -- I don't dislike it, it's probably better than a lot of Hollywood films, but it's not as great as Pulp Fiction, which is a masterpiece.  Also, I have a theory, that if you cast Bridget Fonda, your film will suck -- Godfather 3, City Hall, etc.

I enjoyed Kill Bill a lot more than Jackie Brown.  I need to see Vol. 2 before I make up my mind so I can see how both parts fit together.

Pubrick

Quote from: soixanteAlso, I have a theory, that if you cast Bridget Fonda, your film will suck -- Godfather 3, City Hall, etc.
A Simple Plan was awesome.
under the paving stones.

modage

so was Army of Darkness.  so maybe if Sam Raimi uses her, its an exception to the rule?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

cine

Quote from: P
Quote from: soixanteAlso, I have a theory, that if you cast Bridget Fonda, your film will suck -- Godfather 3, City Hall, etc.
So was Jackie Brown...

MacGuffin

Quote from: Cinephile
So was Jackie Brown...
So was "Doc Hollywood".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Cinephile
So was Jackie Brown...
So was "Doc Hollywood".
so was singles.

soixante

The Bridget Fonda Rule still holds for me.  Simple Plan had a great Billy Bob performance, but was not noteable otherwise.  Doc Hollywood was by-the-numbers mainstream Hollywood fluff.  Singles was nothing special.  Army of Darkness I walked out of, something I do very rarely.