creative writing stuff

Started by ©brad, August 19, 2003, 04:40:19 PM

©brad

so its 12:30 this afternoon, and i stagger into my english 4800 creative writing class, first day. its a small room with a big table in the middle, chairs surrounding it, perfectly intimate for a small writing class. there is about 15 of us, a diverse group of kiddies of all shapes and sizes, which is a good thing no doubt.

so our teacher comes in a few minutes late- a tall, black man, gray hair, w/ a voice exactly like chazz palminteri. (no joke)

so anyway, the class is suppose to be three hours long. (it only meets once a week) so he starts talking about stuff, but its not the usual 'here's the syllabus, this is the book u need to get, this is the attendance policy, go fuck off' kinda thing. he was just fucking cool. thats the only way really to describe it. supposedly its extremely difficult to get into his classes but i didnt really have any trouble. anyway, after 20 minutes or so, he says, and i must paraphrase;

"okay everyone write down two nouns, an adjective, and a verb."

so everyone starts to write, and im drawing blank as i usually do when im put on the spot. i can't think of anything remotely creative... nothing. but then i realize that its not really the point of the exercise, i mean how creative can u be w/ 4 words? but then i realized that of course u could be creative w/ 4 words and im just a fucking moron. oh fuck it, just write sumthing-

so i write-

plane
puke
vulgar
enthrall

after a minute, the professor says

"okay, now, the first word is what ur story is about. the second word is sumthing that happens, and the last 2 r how ur main character reacts to the second and first word. ur assignment is to write me a short story. now get the hell outta here."

so now i have to write this thing.

since this thread was a useless one even before i hit the new topic key, please use it to;

1. give food for thought
2. any ideas or hints or clues or healthy doses of inspiration
3. tell us a story about a cool teacher u have had
4. do sumthing creative

Raikus

Obviously your story will be about a passenger puking on a plane and another passenger being curious yet disgusted by it.

You can call it, The Vulgar Display of Mr. Ratherport at 35,000 Feet.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

©brad

hahahah. done and done. will report back when i get things cookin.

keep em coming folks!

Ghostboy

Quote from: ©bradits a small room with a big table in the middle, chairs surrounding it, perfectly intimate for a small writing class. there is about 15 of us, a diverse group of kiddies of all shapes and sizes, which is a good thing no doubt.

so our teacher comes in a few minutes late- a tall, black man, gray hair.

Sound exactly like Storytelling!

Jeremy Blackman

The enthralled plane passenger should be an artist or a scientist or something. This story has to be about the artistic value of vomit. Reach for absurdity but don't force comedy into the vomit.

©brad

Jeremy Blackman

A performance artist, of course.

The Silver Bullet

And the vomiteer must be a children's author named Phillip.
RABBIT n. pl. rab·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Pubrick

u gave urself good words. if i'd done it i woulda said sumthin stupid like 'hoochie booty dope tapatapatapa.'
under the paving stones.

©brad

hoochie woulda been good. damn me.