Brett Ratner

Started by Spike, June 13, 2003, 04:09:31 PM

Kal

Fucking Ratner, he really believes he knows what the hell he is talking about. And I dont know what he means with "we all know how that turned out". I mean, I love Superman Returns. Yeah, after seeing The Dark Knight I agree it could have been better, but fuck its not a bad Superman movie. I doubt that Ratner would have done it any better.

Gold Trumpet

I think I would have rather seen Ratner's version, but Superman Returns was also pretty awful to me. It took itself too seriously and was littered with an abudance of special effects. I wonder why super hero movies believe they are no longer entertainment vehicles. They make believe they are fodder for high drama, but even if the Returns was more entertaining, the storyline would still be too much a retread of the original.

At least with Ratner's version of the concept of life on Krypton. If half of the film really was set there then I imagine most of the story wouldn't be too predictable. That's enough to have me interested.

RegularKarate

nice theory GT, except for one thing: IT WOULD BE RATNER DIRECTING IT

also, Returns wasn't bad... I'll admit it's mostly carried by nostalgia, but it doesn't hide that aspect.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: RegularKarate on September 17, 2008, 02:49:35 PM
nice theory GT, except for one thing: IT WOULD BE RATNER DIRECTING IT

He's not horrible. I re-watched the Family Man the other day and still enjoyed it. He's like every other Hollywood director where he needs a good script to make a good film.

I wish Superman Returns wasn't so much like the original because I wouldn't have compared it so much. Less ambition, in this case, would have been a good thing.

MacGuffin

Should There Be A 'Joker' Spin-Off Film? Brett Ratner Thinks So
Source: MTV

There can never be too much Batman -– which is why Brett Ratner proposes, once Christopher Nolan's take on the Caped Crusader runs his course, that there be a few spin-off films.

"As a kid, Batman was my thing," Ratner said. "I'm a little jealous that I didn't get to direct it, although Nolan did a great job. But there are so many characters in the Batman series, so many characters that I love, that the opportunities for spin-offs are endless."

Ratner thinks that the first one should be a film just about the Joker, exploring his (possible) origin as the Red Hood. "That would be really cool," he said. But don't we then run into the not-so-little problem of who could possibly fill Heath Ledger's shoes?

"Heath was great," Ratner said. "But the Joker is a great villain. That's why Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger had so much to work with. And I think there will be another actor who can interpret that. It would be great to see [Robert] Downey [Jr.] as the Joker, for instance."

Ratner doesn't want to stop there. If the opportunities for spin-offs in the Batman universe are endless, what about the rest of comic-book-dom? For the "X-Men," for instance, Ratner is excited about the upcoming Wolverine spin-off, but he thinks one is warranted for Halle Berry's character, Storm, as well. "That would be great," he said. "That would be really cool."

Spin-offs and team-ups like "The Justice League" are the way to sustain the franchises, he said, so that minor characters can be more developed.

"You're going to be seeing superhero movies for 50 years," he predicted. "And it'll be exciting to see a lot of the under-the-radar franchises like 'Iron Man' that could be incredible on the big screen."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Quote from: MacGuffin on September 24, 2008, 09:12:39 AM
Should There Be A 'Joker' Spin-Off Film? Brett Ratner Thinks So
"As a kid, Batman was my thing," Ratner said. "

How come whenever anything gets popular, Ratner always proclaims it as being his thing since he was a kid? The dude always not only jumps on a bandwagon, but tries to pretend like he created it.

I hope he dies of heart disease. He's a piece of shit.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Brett Ratner films crazed gorilla attack at Polo Lounge

Friday afternoon at the Polo Lounge, a gorilla wearing a pink tutu approached a table on the sun-dappled patio occupied by producer/director Brett Ratner and a male pal.

The gorilla began to berate Ratner until Brett told him that it wasn't his birthday.

Alarmed, and seemingly embarrassed, the gorilla began to insult Ratner's lunchmate, whose birthday it really was, about his sexuality. Then the gorilla sang an off-key birthday jingle.

I watched with amazement as Ratner reacted quickly and whipped out his cellphone to film the gorilla attack and birthday song, demonstrating his prowess by using various angles to catch the action.

Afterward, the director of "Rush Hour," X-Men: The Last Stand" and the upcoming "The Incredible Shrinking Man" waved to the gorilla as it happily waddled off.

Asked by a neighboring table if he'd been so quick on the shutter because he'd actually ordered the gorilla, Ratner replied, "I would have sent a beautiful girl, not a monkey."

And that, folks, is why he makes the big bucks.

Check out birthday ape action as it unfolded....

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2008/10/brett-ratner--1.html
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Brett Ratner boards 'Youngblood'
Reliance flexes dealmaking muscle
Source: Variety

The fallout between DreamWorks and Universal isn't stopping Reliance Big Entertainment from flexing its dealmaking muscle.

The Indian media conglom has acquired Rob Liefeld's iconic graphic novel "Youngblood" for Brett Ratner to direct.

Reliance inked a development deal with Ratner's shingle Rat Entertainment, as well as Julia Roberts' Red Om Films, during the Berlin film fest.

The company paid mid six figures for the rights to "Youngblood," about a superhero team sanctioned and overseen by the U.S. government.

Project is the first to emanate from the Indian media conglom's nine development pacts with Hollywood talent.

"Most of the great graphic novels are gone, and 'Youngblood' is one of the few comicbooks left with tentpole potential," Ratner told Daily Variety. "It was a real personal passion project for me, and a lot of people wanted ('Youngblood'), but the amazing thing about the guys at Reliance is the speed with which they're able to move."

Reliance has also acquired the rights to French graphic novel "Fly Wires" for Ratner's shingle.

Project, which will be renamed "Infinity," will be produced by Ratner, who has already tapped Sylvain White ("Stomp the Yard") to direct and John Collee ("Master and Commander") to pen the script.

Both projects are being fast-tracked, although no decision has been made on whether they will eventually land at Paramount.

Ratner inked an overall deal with Par last July after a longstanding setup at New Line. His Reliance deal does not impact its terms but rather lends him financial clout to acquire and develop projects he can then offer to the studio.

At Cannes last year Reliance execs announced development pacts with Nicolas Cage's Saturn Prods., Jim Carrey's JC 23 Entertainment, George Clooney's Smokehouse Prods., Chris Columbus' 1492 Pictures, Tom Hanks' Playtone Prods., Brad Pitt's Plan B Entertainment and Jay Roach's Everyman Pictures.

"The great thing with Reliance is they also have the ability to partner up or co-finance the film with a studio," added Ratner. "It really offers freedom for the talent they're working with."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

Fuck him. He has the nerve to say, "All the other graphic novels with potential to make money were gone, so I took this one. I've been a fan FOREVER"

Fuck him. There are tons of graphic novels out there. He just doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about and he only wants something with potential to make tons of money. Who gives a shit if it's good.

I hate this piece of shit with a passion. He's the equivalent of the douchebag in High School who read one Bret Easton Ellis novel and thought he was hot shit. He's the guy that graduates and gets the dream job of being a video game tester and he doesn't even like video games!

I hope he overdoses on coke /........

FUCK HIM.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Producer-director Brett Ratner takes on publishing
Source: AP

LOS ANGELES - Producer-director Brett Ratner is adding publisher to his list of credits.

The 40-year-old Hollywood hyphenate is releasing three books Wednesday through his publishing company, Rat Press. He says the softcover books are the first in a series of re-releases on Hollywood notables.

The first books focus on Marlon Brando , Robert Evans and Jim Brown . Ratner says the books, which had been out of print, shaped his film education.

Ratner's film credits include " X-Men: The Last Stand " and " Rush Hour 3 ." He also executive produces TV's " Prison Break ."

Skeleton FilmWorks

Stefen

SiliasRuby

Why do terrible directors produce addictive TV?
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

MacGuffin

Time, XYZ in DeLorean biopic race
Duo to bring car designer's story to bigscreen
Source: Variety

Time Inc. Studios and XYZ Films have joined the race to mount biopics of John DeLorean, the innovative car designer who lost everything when he was accused of drug trafficking in an attempt to save his failing car company.

The Time/XYZ project joins two other projects aspiring to bring the DeLorean saga to the bigscreen. "Rush Hour" director Brett Ratner is using his first-look deal with India's Reliance Big Entertainment to set up a DeLorean pic he plans to direct, with James Toback writing the script and Robert Evans producing.

And producer David Permut is working on a DeLorean pic with producer Steven Lee Jones that is using life rights from the late DeLorean's longtime attorney, Mayer Morganroth (Daily Variety, March 4).

Time Inc. Studios, which forged a deal with XYZ Films last year to hatch films fueled by underlying rights from articles culled from Time Inc. magazines, kicks off the untitled project with a rights package that includes articles from Fortune and Time; the Hillel Levin-penned DeLorean book "Grand Delusions"; and an unpublished memoir written by DeLorean himself. Just as important, Time Inc. Studios and XYZ say they have cooperation from the car designer's longtime friend and business partner Fred Dellis and from DeLorean son Zachary DeLorean, executor of the DeLorean estate.

The picture will be produced by Time Inc. Studios president Paul Speaker; XYZ partners Nate Bolotin, Nick Spicer and Aram Tertzakian; and Tamir Ardon, who is himself producing a docu on DeLorean.

Spicer said that the DeLorean tale has long tempted filmmakers, but while he was alive, the carmaker would never let a picture be made without steering it himself. DeLorean's son and friend, however, are ready for a truthful telling of the rise and fall of the entrepreneur, bolstered by 500 pages of the DeLorean-penned memoir.

After his arrest in 1982, DeLorean pressed a defense that he was entrapped by the FBI and was eventually acquitted. Still, his company went bankrupt after producing only 9,000 automobiles, including the DMC-12 model featured in the "Back to the Future" films.

"It is almost like an updated 'Citizen Kane' story of the great American entrepreneurial hero and how it all went wrong," said XYZ's Spicer.

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Damn, I really wanted to make that story into a comedy (or at least a sketch).
now it's gonna be all unintentionally funny.

MacGuffin

Okay, maybe not the best to remember him by, but I give you Rat and MJ:

Skeleton FilmWorks