Pop-Punk

Started by E-Snizz, November 19, 2003, 09:22:23 PM

E-Snizz

Any of you phuckos here partake in listening to this particular brand of music? It's quite enjoyable. I have no problem admitting that I listen to Blink 182(new album great BTW), or Good Charlotte, New Found Glory, etc. In my opinion, bands actually get better when they are more commercially appealing. I wasn't a fan of Blink 182 until 'Enema' came out and thhey became worldwide stars. Hardcore 70s-80s punk is too loud and angry for me, so adding some pop to it really helps.

Also, is the term 'emo' familiar with anyone? I mean, then again, I do own trucker hats, wear Atticus and Hurley t-shirts when I haven't even ever stepped on a skateboard, wear wrist cuffs and on and on.

Sleuth

Yeah dude, I love all of this stuff.  If I didn't, I wouldn't be cool, and everyone knows we are really cool, right?  I mean, fuck, if they don't know that, fuck.  Fuck!  We have to remind them, E-Snizz!  

"take off your pants and jacket" 8)

~~blink182~~

Sorry Pedro
I like to hug dogs

Alethia

all of my friends are into it, and i am in a band that plays this kind of music, but i do not like to listen to it all that much.  fun to play tho.

Banky

MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gamblour.

Quote from: E-Snizz
Also, is the term 'emo' familiar with anyone? I mean, then again, I do own trucker hats, wear Atticus and Hurley t-shirts when I haven't even ever stepped on a skateboard, wear wrist cuffs and on and on.

To hell with emo. It's the downfall of all that is decent. Everytime I see a guy with the tight rolled-up-to-the-ankle jeans, black-dyed hair, a sweater with a collared shirt under it, some vintage shoes, and those thick-rimmed Lisa Loeb glasses, I think, "How can you stand dressing like everyone else?" Not to say I hate emo people, it's just their style is so fucking lame. I went to my friend's birthday party, and one of my other friends started yelling her name. When he couldn't find her, he said, "Dammit, well maybe if they all didn't look the same." And I couldn't help but laugh and think how true it is. But it's just another fad, I guess I can't complain, at least it's not goth.

As for pop punk, sure I think Blink 182 can be hilarious, like "Happy Holidays You Bastard" that song is fucking awesome. Otherwise, Green Day is the only punk I listen to.
WWPTAD?

Sleuth

None of you know what you're talking about.  All of this stuff is cool and fun to play just like eward says.  Gamblor, Green Day is punk fucking rock it's crazy!  They are a little too old for my tastes though, viva Blink!
I like to hug dogs

E-Snizz

Special note to "Shut Up" off Take Off Your Pants and Jacket" for it's unique and witty lyrics. Take a listen.

Gamblour.

Quote from: SlobhGamblor, Green Day is punk fucking rock it's crazy!  They are a little too old for my tastes though, viva Blink!

Wait, I'm confused, are you commending or criticising me? I can't tell  :-D
WWPTAD?

Pedro

I remember when Enema of the State came out.  I loved it so much.  It was genius to me at the time, and I had never heard anything so good in my life.  Well, as time went on, I started to think I was too cool for them.  As soon as an older cousin of mine, who I greatly admired, started putting them down for being "sellouts" and the like, I decided I would hate them too, so I joined the bandwagon, and burned my cds.  Like...with fire burn them.  Somehow Enema remained in the collection, though, and I decided to give it a listen a few weeks ago.  What I found there was not the amazing album it was when I first heard it, but just a decent collection of catchy poppy tunes.  And there's nothing wrong with that.  They're not anything groundbreaking, and not that complex intellectually or structually (god im a snob) but I think they have some good stuf.  But I do remember buying Take of Your Pants and Jacket.  I absolutely hated that album and still do.  It lacks the spirit that Enema had, defenitely.  

But seriously, they're worth another listen if you ever started randomly hating them...(try "anthem" but not "anthem part two")  

sure they're immature, but they never really strived to be much more than that (except on take of your pants and jacket, where they seemed to want to be considered as a serious group but also have their brand of poo poo boobies and weiner jokes acting as filler).

the groups that follow them are a different story for me...I remember seeing Good Charlotte at Warped Tour.  they played one year right before flogging molly (who are fucking great, btw) and were just terrible....simple plan makes me wanna vomit.

their song "perfect" is a pop-country song in punk's distortion.  transpose the guitar riffs to fiddle.  that " i try hard to make it " part has a nice reverby country riff...the melody in the chorus reminds me of some tim mcgraw tune.  and, yes, the lyrics are has horrible as "concrete angel" (which i reccomend you download...it makes me laugh...alot)

i feel like GT

NEON MERCURY

::grabs four black markers::

good charlotte..is bad but- if i was 15 and just got braces and went roller skating and still ate cinamin toast crunch cereal and made sure i smoke menthal cigarettes and drank zima ..I would think there were better and will be remebered more than zeppelin..

blink 182..i have always thought they were kninda not good and really cheesy..and something that the people that call in on TRL and use to watch mtv's loveline would really get into..bu tthats not my style....But word on the street is that tthe new blink is actually good :shock: i have heard they matured into a real band instead of a male counter-part to avril lavingne...

aclockworkjj

Quote from: E-SnizzGood Charlotte, New Found Glory, trucker hats, Atticus and Hurley
I have to look at this utter shit all day long.  If I could... I would burn it and just about everything associated with it.

Sleuth

Quote from: aclockworkjj
Quote from: E-SnizzGood Charlotte, New Found Glory, trucker hats, Atticus and Hurley
I have to look at this utter shit all day long.  If I could... I would burn it and just about everything associated with it.

Shut the fuck up racist woman beater, you don't know what you're talking about!
I like to hug dogs

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Slobhlies, all lies
Jb...where's the thread for music, so sloth can upload a song for us???

RegularKarate

Blink (insert # here, they didn't start that by the way) used to be pretty good and enjoyable, now it's all just mediocre.

Good Charlotte?  booooo

Pop-punk was good for a while until it got too defined and now it all sounds like Blink 182, even Blink 182 started just sounding like the bands that try to be Blink 182.

godardian

Um... I like The Buzzcocks, which is both poppier and punkier than any of this fifth-string, submental stuff out now. I'm no purist, by any means, but I really hate Blink-182 on their own merits. I also think emo is entirely overrated; where are the songs, tunes, melodies?!?!

The only really interesting current "punk" band I can think of is Sleater-Kinney.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.