DIRECTOR/CINEMATOGRAPHER TEAMS

Started by godardian, May 17, 2003, 10:46:56 PM

godardian

Some directors work again and again with the same cinematographers; together, they create a certain visual style all their own. Which of these serial collaborations do you find most striking?

I know this is by no means going to be a complete enough list for anyone. So here's the deal: You see what you like in the poll, vote for it. If not, DON'T VOTE! Post what you think should be there, I'll nicely ask Macguffin to add it to the poll, and then you can come back and vote for that.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

MacGuffin

Although I know you don't care for the last two directors, I added them to be fair. Hope you don't mind.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

ekzellent list.

it's amazing how woody allen has the best cinematographers, i guess it's a smart move since the level of writing is so high all that's left is to get it to look good.
under the paving stones.

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffinAlthough I know you don't care for the last two directors, I added them to be fair. Hope you don't mind.

Not at all. The more all-encompassing it is, the better.

Still having trouble making up my mind, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

I know it seems completely predictable, but I ended up going with Godard/Coutard, because they did so many films together in such a short period of time, and so many of the films are so different-looking, yet each time they pulled it off. I mean, the same cinematographer did les Carabiniers that did Contempt and Weekend. That's amazing to me.

It was really hard, though. All the ones I included were because I was completely transfixed by the look of all these films. It used to be my fantasy to be a film director, but now I fantasize almost as much about being a cinematographer.

Pedro

children with angels

I went for Bergman and Nevkist, though I think I like the look of the films made pre-Nevkist with Gunnar Fischer (Wild Strawberries, Seventh Seal) even more...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

godardian

Quote from: children with angelsI went for Bergman and Nevkist, though I think I like the look of the films made pre-Nevkist with Gunnar Fischer (Wild Strawberries, Seventh Seal) even more...

Aw, shoot. Maybe MacGuffin will add that choice and switch your vote to that, then... MacGuffin?

Holden Pike

The Coens and Roger Deakins is probably my favorite current pair (well, trio).

Can't get enough of Jim Jarmusch and Robby Muller (Down by Law, Mystery Train, Dead Man, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai) - and I'll give them extra points for having not one but two pieces of black & white perfection in this day and age. And Muller's work with Wim Wenders (Paris,Texas, The Beuna Vista Social Club and all the early '70s work together) is fantastic.

I'm a big fan of Eastwood and Jack Green (Unforgiven, Bird, A Perfect World, The Bridges of Madison County, White Hunter,Black Heart), an underrated pairing.

Though they only collaborated on three films (Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago, Ryan's Daughter), David Lean & Freddie Young can go toe-to-toe with anybody.

Kubrick and John Alcott have three masterworks together in A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon and The Shining (plus Alcott did some work on 2001 too).

But if I have to vote for only one pairing, I'll go with Akira Kurosawa and Asakazu Nakai (High & Low, Ikiru, The Seven Samurai, Stray Dog, Throne of Blood, Red Beard, Dersu Uzala, Kagemusha and RAN). Any two or three of those would make them legends. Hell, RAN alone would do it. But to have so many great works together over so many years, I'll go with them.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream, it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film."
- Frank Capra

soixante

How about Bernardo Bertolucci and Vittorio Storaro -- Last Tango in Paris, 1900, Last Emperor?
Music is your best entertainment value.

godardian

Aaack!!! I knew my list would become obsolete right away.

MacGuffin, when you see these, please add the "'new" teams mentioned in the posts above to the poll? Thanks.

©brad

Quote from: Holden Pike
Kubrick and John Alcott have three masterworks together in A Clockwork Orange, Barry Lyndon and The Shining (plus Alcott did some work on 2001 too).

oh yeah.

tough decisions here. i'm no good at picking who's best or making top ten lists. my personal favorite is stone/richardson just cuz of the amazing stuff they have done together with JFK, NBK, Nixon and all the others. wonder who the DP is on Stone's Alexander.

SoNowThen

Scorsese / Chapman  -  Taxi Driver, Raging Bull

That's my pick.

Though, you should also add Fellini / Giuseppe Rotunno.

But from your list, I'd pick Godard and Coutard.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

soixante

It occurred to me, two major cinematographers are missing -- Vilmos Zsigmond and Haskell Wexler.

How about Michael Cimino/Vilmos Zsigmond (Deer Hunter, Heaven's Gate).  Or Robert Altman/Vilmos Zsigmond (McCabe and Mrs. Miller, The Long Goodbye).

Or Hal Ashby/Haskell Wexler (Bound For Glory, Coming Home)

Also:

Terrence Malick/Nestor Almendros (Days of Heaven)

Carroll Ballard/Caleb Deschanel (Black Stallion)

Francis Ford Coppola/Vittorio Storaro (Apocalypse Now)

Jonathan Demme/Tak Fujimoto (almost all of Demme's films).

The possibilities are almost endless.
Music is your best entertainment value.

SHAFTR

Although only 2 movies...what about Mendes/Hall?

I voted for Bergman's team on this poll.

Note:  Vilmos Zsigmond is the cinematographer for Kevin Smith's Jersey Girl.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"