Tony Scott

Started by gwfa, May 16, 2004, 10:01:18 AM

gwfa

Just was wondering what opinions, if any, people have of Tony Scott and his films?  
It seems as though he has gone a bit too stylized with his films as of late.

Any opinions?

coffeebeetle

The only film I've seen of his is True Romance.  I can't knock it; the direction wasn't stunning either.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

SiliasRuby

I find his films (the ones I've seen anyway) slightly predictable. Although I did really like True Romance and The Last Boy Scout mainly because of the writing.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

grand theft sparrow

Having an appreciation for Tony Scott films is like having an appreciation for eating cake icing: it's definitely not good for you and will probably make you nauseous but you could tear through an entire container of the shit pretty easily if given the chance.

I haven't seen Man on Fire yet but it's hard to imagine that he could get much more stylized than he always was.  He created the signature style of Jerry Bruckheimer productions, Michael Bay rips him off every chance he gets, and he is making more satisfying films than his brother Ridley at this point.  

I wouldn't put Scott anywhere near a list of the best directors working today but I have a soft spot for a lot of his movies like I do for John Carpenter's.  I don't remember if it was on this site or what but I once heard/read someone refer to Tony Scott as the best hack director working today.  That might be a little harsh but I understand.

Sleuth

I liked Spy Game, I did
I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: SleuthI liked Spy Game, I did
me too.

i like scott
enemy of the state
top gun
man on fire
the last boyscout
crimson tide
true romance
days of thunder

but the fan sucked ass.....

MacGuffin

Winter takes stab at 'Warriors' redo
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Terence Winter, a writer and executive producer of "The Sopranos," has been drafted into "The Warriors" gang. The scribe will write the remake of the 1979 street-gang classic that Tony Scott is directing for MTV Films and Scott Free Prods. Paramount Pictures is distributing.

Scott's version will follow the outline of the first film -- in which a gang leader is assassinated during a truce, and The Warriors, wrongly accused of the assassination, must make their way home through hostile gang territories -- while updating the heightend reality of the original film for contemporary audiences. The original was directed by Walter Hill and was written by Hill and David Shaber. David Gale is producing with Scott, while MTV Films' Van Toffler is executive producing with Skip Chaisson.

Winter was Emmy-nominated five times for his work on "Sopranos." In 2002, he won a WGA Award in the television category that he shared with writer Timothy Van Patten for writing the "Pine Barrens" episode of the HBO series.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Suvari game for assist in NL's 'Domino'

Mena Suvari has fallen for a role in Tony Scott's "Domino" opposite Keira Knightley, sources have confirmed. The actress is the first piece of casting news to come out of the project, which is due to start shooting Monday. New Line Cinema will distribute the Samuel Hadida-produced film. "Domino" tells the real-life story of Domino Harvey, daughter of actor Laurence Harvey, who starred in the original version of "The Manchurian Candidate." She ditched a career as a Ford model to become a bounty hunter. Suvari will play a producer's assistant in the project, which was penned by writer-director Richard Kelly. Scott and brother Ridley Scott's Scott Free Prods. is producing along with Hadida and his France-based Davis Films. Shooting is set for Los Angeles and Las Vegas. New Line production president Toby Emmerich is overseeing for the studio. Suvari is repped by the Gersh Agency and attorney Debbie Klein. She's coming off a recurring role on the most recent season of HBO's "Six Feet Under" and next stars in MGM's "Beauty Shop" opposite Queen Latifah. She is in front of cameras playing the sister of Jennifer Aniston's character in "Otherwise Engaged" for Warner Bros. Pictures and helmer Rob Reiner.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

soixante

Top Gun -- cheesy
Beverly Hills Cop 2 -- bad
Revenge -- a nice, dark film noir -- I prefer Kevin Costner as a bad guy
Days of Thunder -- camp classic
Last Boy Scout -- better than I expected
True Romance -- a true classic
Crimson Tide -- dull
The Fan -- underrated -- deserves another look
Music is your best entertainment value.

Rudie Obias

CRIMSON TIDE.  all star cast, the silver surfer, ghost written by tarantino and a guy named cobb.  what more do you need?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Just Withnail

Quote from: rudieobwhat more do you need?

One less sub thriller?

Ghostboy

Quote from: soixante
Last Boy Scout -- better than I expected
True Romance -- a true classic
Crimson Tide -- dull
The Fan -- underrated -- deserves another look

Hey, I agree completely! I haven't seen the other ones you mentioned, but I'll add:

The Hunger -- cheesy erotic horror + Bauhaus + Bowie = pretty all right movie.
Spy Game -- good enough to watch, not good enough to watch twice
Man On Fire -- so over the top in its direction that it becomes quite fascinating. Brilliant use of subtitles.

MacGuffin

Walken, Liu, Rourke game for 'Domino'

Tony Scott's "Domino" is falling into place with a cast that now includes Christopher Walken, Lucy Liu, Mickey Rourke, Macy Gray, Jacqueline Bisset, Edgar Ramirez, Mo'Nique and Shondrella Avery, sources confirmed.

Currently in front of cameras, the project stars Keira Knightley in the real-life story of Domino Harvey, daughter of actor Laurence Harvey, who starred in the original version of "The Manchurian Candidate." She ditched a career as a Ford model to become a bounty hunter.

Mena Suvari also is on board for a role, and sources say the rest of the cast is expected to be firmed up shortly, with offers out to Dabney Coleman and Delroy Lindo.

Walken plays a reality TV producer, while Liu plays a psychologist. Rourke has a meaty part playing a bounty hunter named Ed who is Domino's boss and mentor. Gray and Avery star as twins Lashindra and Lashandra, with Mo'Nique playing the role of Lateesha

Skeleton FilmWorks

diggler

i feel his movies are only as good as the writing.  true romance was great. i also thought enemy of the state and revenge were entertaining as well.  but you couldn't pay me enough to sit through the fan again
I'm not racist, I'm just slutty

modage

Quote from: MacGuffinGray and Avery star as twins Lashindra and Lashandra, with Mo'Nique playing the role of Lateesha
hmm.... thats too bad.  i really though that monique would be a better lashindra.  oh well, it could still be okay.

seriously though, i hope confessions of a dangerous mind didnt already tread on similar ground.  

also: mickey rourkes comeback continues...
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.