8 - Buster Keaton
7 - Samuel Fuller
6 - Kihachi Okamoto
5 - Luis Bunuel
4 - Sergei Eisenstein
3 - Stan Brakhage
2 - Ingmar Bergman
1 - Stanley Kubrick
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Alexandro

way too hard...but i know of four no one can't miss: bergman, fellini, kurosawa and kubrick.

Kal

damn, this requires some looking into the past that i dont want to do right now... but many people here believe that old cinema is a lot better than what we see today, so that means many of them filmmakers are dead.

off the top of my head your list is missing...

- Orson Welles
- Hitchcock
- Altman
- Elia Kazan
- Fellini
- Vittorio de Sica (just cause Bicycle Thief is one of my favorite films)

And probably many others...

Edit: Antonioni... Godard... way too many and now I will think about this shit for the rest of the day...

matt35mm

Godard is still... ALIVE.

My favorites would be:

Altman
Bergman
and then
Kubrick

All of whom have already been mentioned.  I can't think of ten right now.  There are a lot of old films to catch up on.

Stefen

Quote from: kal on September 17, 2008, 03:38:21 PM
Godard... way too many and now I will think about this shit for the rest of the day...

lol.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

New Feeling

I'll keep this short (for now)

1. Rainer Werner Fassbinder
2. Stanley Kubrick

hedwig

New Feeling

okay I can't resist, here's my actual 10

1. Rainer Werner Fassbinder
2. Stanley Kubrick
3. Buster Keaton
4. Robert Altman
5. Alfred Hitchcock
6. Charlie Chaplin
7. Frederico Fellini
8. Ingmar Bergman
9. Akira Kurosawa
10. Orson Welles

and some runner ups:

Russ Meyer
Hal Ashby
Sam Peckinpah
Billy Wilder
Preston Sturgess
F.W. Murneau

Fernando

Also missing: Kieslowsky, Tarkovsky, Leone, Ophüls, DW Griffith, Fritz Lang...

Kal

samsong

bresson and ozu would make my short list, and dreyer definitely needs to be mentioned.  no love for paul schrader's transcendentalists?

walrus, your original post is appropriately ludicrous and pretty funny... unless you were being serious.

john

I had to review this thread twice... I was positive someone would have mentioned Jules Dassin by now.

That's my contribution... compiling an actual list would be far too long and a bit too depressing.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.