Is my movie funny?

Started by metroshane, July 25, 2004, 11:37:52 PM

metroshane

Do you ever get to the point where you seen the material a hundred times while writing it, a hundred more while filming, and thousands while editing...so much  you get to the point where you're actually quite bored of the material and can no longer objectively tell if it's any good?

I have no idea if my comedy is funny or not.  Maybe I need to step away for a month or so?
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

Stefen

Why don't you just show it to your friends. They'll tell you the truth. If they don't that means they aernt your friends, they are your family.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Raikus

I've found the best way is to do what Stefen mentioned. I'm lucky to have a couple of friends that are interested in what I write and always want read it. When I really have doubts about something I'll invite a few of them over and read them a scene. Dry read the action and character cues and then put the infection on the dialogue I have in my mind. If they ALL start laughing at the same lines I know it's a keeper. It also is a good way to tell when you have too many really good jokes together and then spaced my mild chucklers.

Try it out. And if you don't have friends there are always homeless people.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

cine

Quote from: RaikusTry it out. And if you don't have friends there are always homeless people.
That's what I was going to post. Seriously. Those old fools are so jaded now... they'll be the most honest audience.