Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements

Started by wilder, November 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

wilder

No, didn't end up getting that one. I'd still like to see it, though. How zingy are we talking about? I re-watched Ace in the Hole a couple weeks ago for the first time in maybe ten years and that's the zing I'm measuring this zing by, and every other zing that ever comes along. So on a scale of 1 to Ace in the Hole, where're you putting this?

life is portrayed in a high-pitch of human imperfections and aspirations

Sounds good to me.

This summer has been a tidal wave of good films getting restored and making it to disc, I'm hesitant to snag anything blind atm with so much on the horizon. Periodically I re-activate Netflix for specific things (Milius / ended up watching most of High School Hellcats a long time ago) but always end up canceling because you can only find so much in a landfill. If CanIStreamIt? can be trusted it's not there anymore, anyway. Might subscribe to Classic Flix, which has most of Olive's blu's available with their disc service, and get ahold of it through that.

jenkins

between 1 and ace in the hole, it's in the bananas section. appreciate so much when imdb has the quote i want to remember in its quote section, and the very one i wanted is the only one they have:

Mrs. Burnside: [to unhappy young Horace] Be brave. Be a man.
Horace Vendig as Child: I don't want to be a man. Never! I wish there weren't any men in the whole world.

that's said during a sequence in which horace enters his house and the camera moves in a fashion that illustrates his emotions changing shape and size. i can feel horace's emotions through the camera

there's lots of emotional energy in the movie. it crackles people's dreams and abilities through a melodramatic and psychological pageantry, and i couldn't believe a damn thing but i could feel the whole trip. i could see the page through the dialogue and an example of the dialogue is:

~"i hate you from your insides"

recommended

wilder

Quote from: jenkins<3 on July 09, 2014, 11:05:39 PM
the camera moves in a fashion that illustrates his emotions changing shape and size. i can feel horace's emotions through the camera

Quote from: jenkins<3 on July 09, 2014, 11:05:39 PM"i hate you from your insides"

sold

wilder

September 30, 2014

Thom Andersen's Los Angeles Plays Itself (2003) on blu-ray from Cinema Guild

Los Angeles Plays Itself (2003) - Amazon

November 25, 2014

Robert Altman's The Long Goodbye (1973) on blu-ray from Kino

The Long Goodbye (1973) - Amazon

jenkins

^ great news because, well both those movies are la movies but what i mean is i recently traded in my dvd copy of the long goodbye because i had inner certainty that its blu-ray would be arriving and bam

today i am "seriously considering" buying 5 ape movies on blu-ray for $20

Ravi

Arrow Films already released The Long Goodbye on Blu-Ray with a ton of extras. If the Kino doesn't match their edition, I'll just order the Arrow edition.

jenkins

helpful chart:

kino = region a
arrow = region b

helpful if your player is unlocked or came region free or whatevs

wilder

Quote from: jenkins<3 on July 10, 2014, 04:50:59 PM
helpful chart:

kino = region a
arrow = region b

helpful if your player is unlocked or came region free or whatevs

And in a more general sense for the sake of this thread, Amazon UK, Amazon France, and Amazon.de = Region B

jenkins

we're not in america, we're the internet

so true. wish i could sitdown tell my blu-ray player it needs to become multicultural. its narrow-minded philosophies make it an antique and i'm embarrassed and has anyone seen the 5 ape movies?

wilder

August 12, 2014

Jacques Tourneur's Out of the Past (1947) from Warner Archive

Out of the Past (1947) - Amazon

These two podcast episodes on the movie are in-depth and worth a listen if you're into the genre (Click POD to the left of each episode title to download)...

Podcast - Out of the Past - Part 1

In this premier episode, Shannon Clute and Richard Edwards discuss Jacques Tourneur's noir masterpiece "Out of the Past." They explain why it is the first film they choose for their continuing series of podcasts delving into the history of film noir. In the course of a lively discussion of this film, Clute and Edwards argue that while "Out of the Past" is not an early noir, it is nonetheless a prototype that helps the viewer define just what is film noir.

Podcast - Out of the Past - Part 2

OUT OF THE PAST is perhaps the most carefully structured of all films noir--a narrative divided (like protagonist Jeff Markum/Bailey) between an inescapable past and an impossible future, teetering on the slimmest hope for the present such that any action taken by its poor players tips them down into the abyss. Director Jacques Tourneur, cinematographer Nicholas Musuraca and screenwriter Daniel Mainwaring perfectly synchronized their efforts on this film, creating a narrative masterpiece where every image perfectly accompanies or contrasts every line of dialogue, where the whole is so self-conscious that it forces us to view each moment through every other, creating a true mise-en- abyme. It would be as impossible for the viewer to enter into such a story as it is for the characters to escape it, if it weren't for the decision to create a "Meta" narration at exactly the halfway point of the film, allowing the viewer to sort past from present in a film that constantly blurs that distinction in order to show how lives are always lived in servitude to what comes out of the past. For all of these reasons, the film is a constant source of inspiration, and a constant obsession, for those who watch it carefully.

wilder

October 14, 2014

Jonathan Demme's Married to the Mob (1988) on blu-ray from Kino

Married to the Mob (1988) - Amazon

wilder

Quote from: wilder on May 14, 2014, 05:45:38 PM
That UK Tati set is a conundrum. I haven't seen the two you mentioned. Criterion will be releasing their own Tati blu-ray titles down the line, but they lost the rights to Trafic, and given that the other Studiocanal titles Criterion has lost the rights to haven't been re-licensed (La Grand Illusion, The Third Man) and Playtime is already a standalone...blah. Do I trust Studiocanal to issue Trafic as its own disc release in the US? I don't know. Don't know which way is up.

Happy to be wrong

wilder

From preservationist Robert Harris in a thread on Home Theater Forum:

Quote from: Robert HarrisI have been reading seemingly constant complaints on line regarding Warner Bros. and presumed non-activity or lack of interest in bringing important catalog titles to the home video market.

Wrong.

Several weeks ago, I had a meal with friends from WB, and while I cannot report titles, I can report that things are alive and well at both Warner Home Video, as well as the Warner Archive Collection.

2015 portends to be their biggest year since the start of the format.

A quick overview.

Three-strip Technicolor.  Minnelli.  Bogart.  Flynn.  Davis.  Astaire.  Garbo.  Sinatra.

Hammer Horror is a high priority.

The immense amount of work (and expense) that must go into each film to make it right for Blu-ray can sometimes hold things up, but what's coming represents some of the finest productions from the Golden Age of Hollywood.

I would start saving up now.  For those who love classic cinema, it's going to be an expensive year.

RAH

so wilder maybe you can help me here.
i saw on amazon a new release of oliver stones first film 'SEIZURE', for sept 9.
the reviews all say its not legit, but they're from like 2007, so i'm guessing a new proper release is on the way?

wilder

Yeah the September 9, 2014 blu-ray release is legit, coming from Scorpion Releasing.

via blu-ray.com:

Independent U.S. distributors Scorpion Releasing have confirmed that they will release on Blu-ray Oliver Stone's directorial debut Seizure (1974), starring Jonathan Frid, Martine Beswick, Joseph Sirola, Troy Donahue, Mary Woronov, and Richard Cox. The release is scheduled to arrive on the U.S. market on September 9th.

The release, which will be distributed by Kino Lorber, will feature a brand new HD transfer from the original U.S elements, as well as brand new interviews with stars Mary Woronov and Richard Cox.