^

Started by yarsrevenge, July 30, 2003, 01:07:45 PM

yarsrevenge

jasper_window

1. Yes.

2.He changes frame rates alot through all of his films, I don't think the hand-pass slo-mo is a particular trademark though.

mr_boz

i don't think it's a PTA trademark, but it's cool when it's used effectively.  lots of directors use this for various reasons, i think.  in a more comedic use, you can see this in OFFICE SPACE, when Ajay Naidu (Samir) hands the diskette with the virus on it to Ron Livingston (Peter) for example.

--ccb

Jake_82

he did the slow handshake thing in Hard Eight and Boogie Nights
your reality is at the end of your dream

fulty

Quote from: yarsrevenge1. Phil Parma takes something (invisible?) from Earl Partridge's hand (in slow motion). Is he taking the imaginary cigarette away?
I'll have to double check, but I thought it was a pen.

Earl was getting delirious, and complaining about how he would reach for something, but it wouldn't work, and the imaginary pen was too heavy, and he was afraid he would drop it.
I thought Phil showed tremendous insight & understanding by simply pretending to take the heavy pen as relief, instead of complicating Earl's plight by ignoring him, or trying to correct him.

As for the cigarette, it was real.
Phil only pretended to light it.
I noticed Earl did not touch it to his lips.
The same thing happened later with Jimmy Gator.
He took a cigarette, but stopped before touching his lips.

I thought this was a PTA special touch.
Kinda cool.
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

SoNowThen

yeah, I've always loved that business... PTA always has some great little "business" bits for actors to do.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ravi

I'm pretty sure there is a shot of Julianne Moore's doctor handing her a prescription.  We also see slo-mo pass when John hands Sydney the money he owes him.

yarsrevenge

aclockworkjj

Quote from: yarsrevengeMan, PTA is brilliant. A shot so apparently simple becomes something you never forget.

add some kickin' ass dialogue in there and, shit....there's a lot to never forget.

The Silver Bullet

A lot to remember, too...
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

aclockworkjj

Quote from: The Silver BulletA lot to remember, too...

I need a beer........

The Silver Bullet

I freed a bear.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Sleuth

Oh, that's nice.  Was it grateful?
I like to hug dogs