pictures! since everyone else is doing it.

Started by samsong, July 07, 2006, 12:03:55 AM

samsong

mogwai

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

edison

Like the older couple, damn, I wish I wasn't so afraid to carry my camera around. I'm just scared to take pics of strangers and then thinking that they will yell at me or something for doing so. For the most part, do people really not care?

pete

yeah people really do care.  sometimes you have to ask them beforehand, make it known that you're just a humble and klutzy photographer/ student/ enthusiast or whatever and then do your thing.  sometimes I fake a foreign accent and tell them I wanna photograph "real americans"/ "real taiwanese" sometimes I tell them I wanna show pictures of my hometown to my mom in a faraway place or my girlfriend, or whoever you've got.  you don't have to lie to them--I don't, I just play up my innocence, befriend them and then plead my case.
or act like a tourist, don't act so competent when you snap the pictures.  see how the tourists do it and blend in.
professional people have a demeanor about them, some kinda professional attitude or something, or some kinda indifference that a) they don't care if people get pissed at them and b) people don't get that offended by indifference.
some pictures are better because the people are surprised that they're being photographed though.  I love Garry Winnogrand's pictures and his most famous one is a guy with no legs staring right at him as the rest of the people standing around the old vet without a clue.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

or you can hide in the bushes like samsong.
under the paving stones.

edison

Thanks for the advice, pete. Yeah, this is a really great shot.

Ravi

Were you doing a project on couples, Samsong?

Chest Rockwell