Californication (on Showtime)

Started by Kal, September 16, 2007, 03:48:40 PM

Weird. Oh

oddly enough, the shows creator was a writer on dawson's creek from which I can recall they had very verbose dialogue for their characters. I don't know how much input he had on that show or on this on. Although, the lead female character's name is Karen Van Der Beek. (played by Natascha McElhone   who has gorgeous eyes, who I loved from The Truman Show)
The more arguments you win, the fewer friends you will have.

MacGuffin

Red Hot Chili Peppers Sue Showtime over 'Californication' Title
Posted by Matthew Belloni; Hollywood Reporter

I knew that title sounded familiar. We got word this morning that LA punk-pop stalwarts Red Hot Chili Peppers are suing Showtime and the producers of "Californication," the David Duchovny dramedy, for unfair competition for using the title of the band's hit 1999 album without permission. The complaint is being filed in Los Angeles Superior Court today but the band's lawyers provided us a press release with the details. The Peppers don't claim Federal trademark infringement. Instead they allege state law claims of unfair competition, dilution of value of the "Californication" mark and unjust enrichment.

"Californication is the signature CD, video and song of the band's career, and for some TV show to come along and steal our identity is not right," band frontman Anthony Kiedis says in the release.

Use of the "Californication" name by Showtime "continues to cause a likelihood of confusion, mistake and deception as to source, sponsorship, affiliation, and/or connection in the minds of the public," the complaint is quoted in the release.

Plaintiffs in the suit are band members Anthony Kiedis, Chad Smith, John Frusciante and Michael "Flea" Balzary. In addition to Showtime (a subsidiary of CBS), defendants are Twilight Time Films, Inc., Aggressive Mediocrity, Inc., and Tom Kapinos. The suit identifies Kapinos as the creator, writer and executive producer of the "Californication" show

A call to Showtime wasn't immediately returned. Coincidentally, we just ran an article on the use of existing titles in TV shows, click here to check it out.

"Californication," released in 1999, is one of the Peppers' most successful albums, selling 14 million copies worldwide. There's also a hit track on the album called "Californication."

The Peppers are represented in the case by Justin Ehrlich of the Law Offices of Ian Herzog in Santa Monica.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

Kal

The word californication has been used many times for decades. Fucking estupidos!

cine

the idea of confusion between a 2007 tv show with David Duchovny and an album/song nobody listens to anymore.. is embarrassing.

hedwig

i'm just waiting for the nina hagen lawsuit.

ElPandaRoyal

So, I just finished the season and it turned out to be a great show, with great humor, drama and, well, tons of sex. It's one of those shows to which I feel attached from the first moment, just because I like those kind of characters. Troubled writers, daughters, former virgins, etc...

Sometimes it's not perfect, like the scene Pubrick mentioned onj the previous page, but it sure is quite entertaining. Also...

Quote from: Pubrickthe scene was stupid not only because of that, but because duchovny himself could have saved himself the trouble/beating (and the whole scene) if he had told the woman what was blatantly obvious. if we're sposed to believe that he didn't say anything just to save the girl some embarrassment, then surely the alternative of having a FIGHT in a store and causing a huge scene was much more embarrassing to go through (and to watch).

I agree that the lady not realizing it was for the girl was kind of a lame moment and it basically served for some "humour" (no matter if you think it was good or bad). BUT, it also served for Duchovny's character, because that's just the way he is: a complicated, sometimes irrational man who, in the final scenes of the episode said something about stop being a kid and act like a man and grow the fuck up - he also spends a lot of time waking the inner child he confronts. So, yeah, you have to follow a show to understand what it's all about, or else it's just like saying that Annie Hall is stupid because you only saw a scene with Woody Allen talking to a horse about sex.
Si

Pas

Anybody still following this show ? Man, last ep was great, the best of the new season for sure and the best in a while. That dinner was fucked

This is a great show especially for wannabe artists like most Xixaxers

And also, poor Pubrick hey... the worst scene of this whole show (of all TV last year?) was the only one he saw. If you haven't watched it yet don't read P's criticism as valid.

Pozer

i don't have showtime but i netflixed the first season and watched it a couple of weeks ago.  you're right, that Pubrick mentioned scene was pretty much the only bad thing about it.  that is, as long as its farfetched concepts don't get to you either - the unbelievable moments mostly involve him landing every hot chick he comes across (cardealer on the testdrive, really?) and the fact that the chicks approach him most of the time.  he does have those dame Duchovny lips though.

took me almost a month to put the first disc of it in and glad i finally did cos it's way better than Entourage, its most comparable show and now has me convinced to get showtime.  that and cos i got Dexter to watch next which has been sitting here almost as long as Californication (thx, MacGuffin whose got me starting this Strangers movie instead).

MacGuffin

'Californication' headed for Season 3
Showtime orders 12 new episodes for late 2009
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Showtime has greenlighted a third season of its comedy series "Californication."

The premium network has ordered 12 episodes scheduled to go into production in the spring for a late 2009 premiere.

The series stars David Duchovny as Hank Moody, a hedonistic novelist/blogger who struggles to raise his Goth-loving teen daughter (Madeleine Martin), while still carrying a torch for his disapproving ex-girlfriend (Natascha McElhone).

Evan Handler also stars in the series, which is created and executive produced by Tom Kapinos. Duchovny, who won a Golden Globe this year for his role, also exec produces.

"This unapologetic show, about a group of characters led by the inimitable David Duchovny, has quickly established itself as one of our signature comedy series," Showtime president of entertainment Robert Greenblatt said. "Beneath its veneer of debauchery, however, is a complex take on love and adult relationships that surprisingly turns poetic and romantic just when you least expect it."

Through the first six episodes of this season, "Californication" is averaging 2.2 million total viewers, according to Live + 7 and on-demand data.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Kal

The season finale was great. I love this show. Mothafuckaaa!

Pas

Quote from: kal on December 09, 2008, 10:51:29 PM
The season finale was great. I love this show. Mothafuckaaa!

haha yeah that was funny... but more and more my favorite character becomes Charlie. His storylines are a little more engaging because Hank is hardly surprising. You always see his storylines coming a mile away (like the black baby) and Becka is fucking annoying. It's not her fault though, every 12-13-14 year old is untolerable to me.

And also, the move to new york for the wife... wtf, they just couldn't resign her for another season or what ? I hope this is her decision to leave because if the producers kicked her out they're crazy. She was much more interesting than Becka as an anchor for Hank.

Anyway still a good show !

Kal

There are no official reports saying that she will not be in Season 3, so maybe its a twist and she will come back. Who knows.

hedwig

poorly written, dialogue is borderline diablo codyish, situations are absurdly unrealistic, the show is an endless cascade of debauchery with occasional moments of forced emotion.

oh, i love this show. :shock: