Anyone seen any good shows lately?

Started by smash, September 21, 2004, 12:48:39 AM

Gamblour.

Quote from: Stefen on October 27, 2009, 01:27:25 PM
I have a big crush on the girls in Dirty Projectors. They're so fucking adorable.

They are super cute, all of em.

Quote from: modage on October 27, 2009, 04:19:32 PM
Random Thoughts:
I saw them open for Jarvis Cocker a few years ago and thought they were one of the most obnoxious bands I'd ever seen.
At that same show one of the girls in the band threw her beer at a jock heckling them. 
I like the new album okay but when I saw them open for TV On The Radio a few months ago still thought they sounded pretty bad. 
Stillness is The Move was really underwhelming live. 
The touring singer looks like Rose Byrne.
When I was jamming with some dudez in Brooklyn last year I saw the DP's on the street because their practice space was prob near ours.

Dudez?

One of the girls told people to quit smoking or else they wouldn't be able to sing. They were far from annoying other than that. Why do you think they're obnoxious? They were fucking pros when we saw them, completely destroyed the crowd. That weird vocal thing they've been doing is just mind-blowing. And they were so technically on their game, way better in fact than their recordings, I can't imagine them actually playing badly. I'm surprised you think they're bad live. Their music comes alive in person.
WWPTAD?

squints

Quote from: squints on April 26, 2009, 11:08:54 PM
I just went to this thing here in Oklahoma called the Norman Music Festival last night.

So they're doing this again this year in Oklahoma in April and i just found out I'll be playing the main stage (probably sometime in the afternoon) and later in the day The Dirty Projectors will be playing the same stage.

Fuck. Yes.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

OrHowILearnedTo

Stefen

Quote from: squints on January 26, 2010, 05:08:37 PM
Quote from: squints on April 26, 2009, 11:08:54 PM
I just went to this thing here in Oklahoma called the Norman Music Festival last night.

So they're doing this again this year in Oklahoma in April and i just found out I'll be playing the main stage (probably sometime in the afternoon) and later in the day The Dirty Projectors will be playing the same stage.

Fuck. Yes.

Dude, that's awesome. Upskirts of Amber and Angel, please!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

children with angels

Just got back from seeing Why?. They were awesome as usual, but what made it special was the fact that Andrew Broder (Fog) was touring with them, which in turn meant that they were able to close with Hymie's Basement's motherfuckin' "21st Century Pop Song": one of my favourite tracks period, and one which i never thought I'd get to hear live. And as a direct result I am pretty damn happy right now.

I realise this won't mean much to many, but I know there are some Yoni fans who will at least will know what I'm talking about.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

a.santi

that's great. i envy you.

it was here that i first knew of  Hymie's Basement and i fell in love with that album...if that's possible, i've listened to it a million times and i will play it again right now.
big kid tested, motherfucker aproved.

squints

Quote from: children with angels on March 16, 2010, 08:51:23 PM
Just got back from seeing Why?. They were awesome as usual, but what made it special was the fact that Andrew Broder (Fog) was touring with them, which in turn meant that they were able to close with Hymie's Basement's motherfuckin' "21st Century Pop Song": one of my favourite tracks period, and one which i never thought I'd get to hear live. And as a direct result I am pretty damn happy right now.

I realise this won't mean much to many, but I know there are some Yoni fans who will at least will know what I'm talking about.

i saw a show in denton, tx that was the same line-up and i screamed like a jackass "HYMIE'S BASEMENT!!!" and they didn't play any fog. if they woulda closed with 21st cenury i woulda lost my shit.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

Quote from: children with angels on March 16, 2010, 08:51:23 PM

This beat is so bonkers. One of my favorite songs of all-time. Anytime anyone questions Yonis MC skills I put this on. Then I put on Crushed Bones, then Good Friday, then I get the apology in writing.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

children with angels

Quote from: squints on March 17, 2010, 12:13:26 AM
if they woulda closed with 21st cenury i woulda lost my shit.

Yeah, I kinda did! Luckily I was hanging out with these girls who seemed to be the only people in the whole place who were wanting to dance so, we were able to properly spaz out. Broder did the repeat backing vocals for the "Our-font-will-crush-your-font" section. Awesome, awesome, awesome. Thanks for entertaining my enthusiasm guys!
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

john

So this is kinda of a LA-only recommendation, but is really a suggestion to anyone with a bit of initiative.

Last week I saw the Paul F. Tompkins show at Largo. I've caught it with the semi-frequency of anyone who doesn't live in LA, but ends up there more often than not. It's a great show... two hours of sketches, stand-up and music that, even when it doesn't have you laughing, will at least have you smiling. It's "pleasant" in the best sense of the word.

Last weeks show included a "book club" sketch involving Ed Helms, a performance by the cute (but boring) Watkins Family, Tompkins singing "All These Things That I've Done" with full band, and a few covers of Pogues songs with full band - including Ed Helms on Banjo and "Weird" Al Yankovic on accordion. It was the kind of variety show people rarely do and, with even more rarity, ever pull off successfully.

He performs this show every month and, with the exception of traditionally closing with a performance of "Danny Boy", barely repeats bits or guests. If you're in LA or near LA, you should go see it.

If you're not in LA, and have an interest in seeing PFT, you should read this:

http://paulftompkins.com/blog_detail.php?id=47

Chances are, if you have any interest in Tompkins, you're probably already aware of this but if not... it's a pretty respectable idea:

Basically, if you can start (or join) a Facebook group promising to attend a PFT show in your area, he will book one. This will make for a more committed rewarding experience for both him and the audience, because you both know you're there to see the show and not just for something to do with your evening. It connects fans with artist, and fans with other fans. It's a great idea that more people - comedians or musicians - should attempt.

Tompkins is the kind of comedian that has yet to really be properly represented in his television appearances. If you've seen him on Best Week Ever, or on stand-up specials, you might be able to appreciate that he's clever and has an enjoyable presence... but seeing him live is a completely different experience full of  stream-of-thought rants, failed jokes, and absurd little moments that usually don't get to be represented on TV. See him if you can, you'll like it.

Apologies if any of this is too long or unnecessary. I'm tired and drunk and, at least for the moment, this seemed worth sharing.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

RegularKarate

No question that Paul is playing at the top of his game.  Best stand-up working now.

Just to be clear, the Facebook 300 thing is just for his stand-up, not the PFT show.

Our theater is sponsoring bringing him to Austin in June.  Should be a great show.

john

Yeah, I should have properly articulated the difference between the two... either way, PFTs stand-up is just as great.

Like you said, "best stand-up working now".

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

modage

Just in time for the leak, LCD Soundsystem tonight.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Reinhold

i wanted to be at that show, Mod... instead i'm 15 blocks away at work, listening to the leak. (actually it's Dear Science now, but it was This is Happening a bit ago)
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza